Author Topic: Open water bluegill flies  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Open water bluegill flies
« on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Just recently purchased a flyrod for bluegills to use during the spring when the gills are in skinny water.  I was curious as to what you guys prefer for taking gills in the shallows in the spring?  Ive been tying quite a bit lately to help pass the time.  I tie tons of steelhead/salmon flies for drifting and ice flies for the hardwater season.  New to tying open water gill flies.  Just wondering if there are certain patterns or colors that seem to work better than others.  Have trouble getting service to post pics from my house.  I will try and post some pics to see what you guys think.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Open water bluegill flies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I have three go to flies for bedding gills or for that matter, almost anytime from spring to end of summer. 1. Rubber or foam spiders in black, yellow, or orange.  2. Black ant or Chernobyl ant.  3.  Small wooly bugger.

I would say this is in order of use too.  I really like a small popper but I still have not been able to tie them yet.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Had to go into the middle of the backyard to get signal and switch back to the old photobucket settings to figure it out but I finally was able to get some pics.  What do you guys think?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Nice...those will all work.  I like the black ant for wet fly for gills and spiders or poppers for dry flies.  I don't line 'legs' on my wet flies for 2 reasons.  1.  Most insects with legs don't sink...they flounder on the surface and 2. you don't want the fish grabbing just the leg and thinking you have a bite and pulling to soon.  Since you can't visually see the take on a wet fly you want them to have the hook when your line jumps or strike indicator moves.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:42 PM »
nice look like steelhead hooks tho ;D LOL
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Nice work, you want a job?  ;)

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Josh, these are not strong hooks at all.  Wouldnt make it past the 1st rock snag.  If it isin't 2X then I wont even waste time tying anything on it for steelhead.  You know what they can do to hooks and all your other gear.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:51 PM »
just stirring the pot bro. they look good although i didn't see you going to the fly rod its a good change. hope you tear up the skinny water blues.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Hmmmm, back to the vise.  Watched a few videos on youtube and almost all of the bluegill fly videos that I watched they all used both chenille and rubber legs.  Guess I'll have to tie more without the rubber legs.  Used a beadhead for weight to get the fly to fall slow.  Ones without beadheads have lead wraps underneath.  Pac I can tie you some up if you want.  Not sure how well they will work on walleyes.  Walleyes seem to like my steelhead flies in the spring though.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:54 PM »
what size lead are you using

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:57 PM »
just stirring the pot bro. they look good although i didn't see you going to the fly rod its a good change. hope you tear up the skinny water blues.
Just another way to get em when they are skinny water and plunking a bobber in there will spook em.  Got my flyrod that I use to chase kings on the PM and only use it 4 days out of the year. I always prefer fishing deep water best for panfish, that includes in open water and through the ice.  Nothing beats lifting up on a big gill in 20+ fow on a ultralight rod and having them pull the rodtip straight back down towards the water or to the hole.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:58 PM »
x2 amen brother

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Ive got lead anywhere from .015-.03.  Usually use .025 or .03.  Never tried this way before for gills so I guess come spring time I will see how fast they fall.  If they fall too fast I can always strip in the line or lift up on the rodtip to help bring it up a bit.  Hoping that I get a take before it hits the bottom.  Afterall I'm not going to be blind casting.  I'll be sight fishing in areas where I know fish are present.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I have three go to flies for bedding gills or for that matter, almost anytime from spring to end of summer. 1. Rubber or foam spiders in black, yellow, or orange.  2. Black ant or Chernobyl ant.  3.  Small wooly bugger.

I would say this is in order of use too.  I really like a small popper but I still have not been able to tie them yet.

Yeah What He Said!!! In that order!!!!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:08 PM »
OK, took the advice of black, yellow and orange.  Tied some up without rubber legs on them.  I'll tie the wooly buggers later.  Hopefully wax will give me a few of his spiders so I can give them a look and start tying some of those.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Those all look good to me. Don't forget a few foam bugs for that topwater bite. Can be almost as exciting as getting a bass to hit a jitterbug.  (I know, you ike the deep water stuff but sometimes you gotta take what is given.)  All you have to do now is wait for spring to see if they work.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 PM »
OK, took the advice of black, yellow and orange.  Tied some up without rubber legs on them.  I'll tie the wooly buggers later.  Hopefully wax will give me a few of his spiders so I can give them a look and start tying some of those.
(Image removed from quote.)

I will tie you some tomorrow.  Probably the easiest thing you can tie.  Need the hook, the foam body and the legs and you are good to go.  Nothing better than hearing the gills 'kiss' the surface to inhale a popper or rubber spider.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:49 PM »
I will tie you some tomorrow.  Probably the easiest thing you can tie.  Need the hook, the foam body and the legs and you are good to go.  Nothing better than hearing the gills 'kiss' the surface to inhale a popper or rubber spider.
I think it might be better watching the BAMA players smooching that crystal trophy they will get after the game on the 7th of January. :flex: :clap: :thumbsup:  Gills kissing could be a close 2nd though.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I think it might be better watching the BAMA players smooching that crystal trophy they will get after the game on the 7th of January. :flex: :clap: :thumbsup:  Gills kissing could be a close 2nd though.

Are you going to be putting in a tape of last years pathetic game against an overrated SEC opponent, after ND wins?  That will be the only way you will see bama kissing any crystal.  Tell Saban good luck in Cleveland.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:37 AM »
Are you going to be putting in a tape of last years pathetic game against an overrated SEC opponent, after ND wins?  That will be the only way you will see bama kissing any crystal.  Tell Saban good luck in Cleveland.
Hahahaha agreed. Absolutely diehard Irish fan here. I wouldnt say LSU was overrated tho, didnt they beat something like 8 ranked teams last year? Irish will take it 16 - 9, low scoring with lots of field goals.
By the way i love the yellow and black flies
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:59 AM »
Black spider with lime legs, not chartreuse, lime.

I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2012, 05:03 AM »
Black spider with lime legs, not chartreuse, lime.

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice jig you got there! Lime is better anyways lol
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:04 AM »
You'll catch a lot better and bigger on the surface.  For most of the warm water season I can hardly by a gill on sub surface flies.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I could watch the last time ND won but I dont even know if they recorded shows that long ago :roflmao:.  BAMA held lsu scoreless last year in the title game and will probably do pretty close to the same thing to ND this year.ROLL TIDE.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Floyd, good looking gill and good looking fly.  Havent tied any for the surface yet.

Offline PTOjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Sparrow fly! Great wet fly for early spring gills...olive color. I will post a pic if needed!

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Sparrow fly! Great wet fly for early spring gills...olive color. I will post a pic if needed!
Post Please I just started tieing this year and pics really help!!!
Thanks
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline PTOjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Sparrow in Olive Green

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:39 PM »
Is this fly just dubbing and marabou.  Material up front doesn't look like hackle to me.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Another 2 cents worth...
foam spiders with short legs
hair ants
they won't last long but elk hair caddis get smashed...........
on a size 5 rod they are all a hoot

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.