The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to Montana and New to the Shanty  (Read 966 times)

Offline xceses

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Montana and New to the Shanty
« on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself a little and ask a couple questions.

Just moved up to Missoula in October and trying to get my bearings in the vast world of the Montana Angler. I have been fishing since I was old enough to walk. Grew up on desert mudholes full of catfish. Moved to the coast and got into ocean kayak fishing for everything in the kelp beds and even some crabbing. Moved to the Cascades and got into trout streams and alpine lakes. Now I'm experiencing my first Montana winter and am looking to get on the hardwater.

I've done a lot of investigating and I take it my best local bet right now is Georgetown Lake? What are the next best iced lakes around Missoula? Anything closer? Looking to get out on the water for my first time the day after Xmas. Also wondering at Georgetown if its easy to find recently used holes, or will I need to spring for a hand Auger?

Thanks everyone, hope I can eventually contribute a small fraction of what I've already learned lurking this site... :)
They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.
-Mitch Hedberg

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to Montana and New to the Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:15 PM »
You can find closer ice up hwy 200 toward great falls. A bunch of lakes up the seeley/swan valley. Nothing really up the Bitteroot or west of here. Frenchtown and beavertail ponds are very close.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:29 PM »
From what I've seen, you'd be hard pressed to find someone that wouldnt drill a hole for you or let you borrow their auger.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:39 PM »
First off, Welcome to Ice Shanty "IS" and to beautiful Big Sky country.....your best bet around zootown is what Htech77 mention.....Beavertail pond (20min East and mainly rainbow fishery, with few perch and large mouth) or Frenchtown pond (10 min West and same fishery as above, but more abundant of sunfish and perch). Harpers Lake(rainbow fishery) is a good one too. Once you have 5 posts you'll have full access to the MT "Fishing Report and Lake condition" on the main IS Montana page. There you'll find everything you'll need to know about Georgetown lake and others. Good luck fishing....fyi get a hand auger to start with :)!!!

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Welcome aboard. Find cornbreads link to ice charts. very helpful, Good luck

Offline xceses

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Thank You for the quick response and welcomes guys...

I didn't know there were opportunities that close, Beavertail and Frenchtown. Isn't that cold in Missoula yet, are these ponds iced over yet? If not think by Xmas?
They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.
-Mitch Hedberg

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:08 AM »
They all have safe ice, may not be enough to make you comfortable, but it is safe. Ice is growing right now as much as it has all season.

Offline grizzlyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:28 PM »
I'm new too hitting up Browns tomorrow will get ya a report. 

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:16 PM »
If you go for a hand auger DO NOT get a flat bladed auger. Curved blades are the only way to go. As far as size goes stick with something around 6 inches. If you can find one with an offset handle that would be even better. Lots of people love the nils hand augers without the power point but they are pricey. Lazers aren't too bad. I went for the frabill curved blade in a 5 inch for $70 and love it. I also have a power auger for thick ice.  If you get the hand auger you can always use a cordless drill with adapter to make things easier if you got a drill. Best of luck!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:18 PM »
If you ever make it to Great Falls, I'll give you a 6" lazer.

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I have a 5" Mora that cuts great. My only gripe is that its hard to find a good scoop to fit s 5" hole. I recommend 6-8" August for this reason.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Htech77... The cheapo ice scoups seem to work perfect in my 5" holes.  I picked up mine for less than a few bucks and I have seen them at wholesale sports, scheels, and cabelas.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Them cheap latco(latko)??? scoops, something along those lines work great for smaller holes... I am from Iowa and used to carry a 4" lazer up to the farm ponds walking out to chase bull gills and I always used those cheap little orange scoops..

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:09 AM »
I was only able to find the little plastic ones which didn't work when I needed to chip ice out the hole. I do like my 5" augar a lot and if you can find a scoop that works go for it! Just make sure your not gonna hook anything that won't fit through the hole ;) on a side note I'm gonna hit the ice for the first time this season ;D

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Awesome!  Best of luck and catch a bunch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.