Author Topic: The Result Of Snowmobiles Going To Fast ( has this happened to you? )  (Read 4989 times)

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope none of you have had this happen to your tip-ups. This was one of my friends tip-ups that was on Schroon Lake during the tournament. The snowmobile was going about 80 mph right through our set up, showing little respect for anyone. It stinks when you lose equipment for no reason, I guess we need to put a christmas tree next to every tip-up so they will see it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
I own i snowmobile but i make sure that whenever i am near a person icefishing i give them room. When people get close to my traps i get heated. I hope nobody else has this happen to them >:(

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
All I can say is I would have to do the same thing to them as with jet ski's in the summer!!! Thats all I'm gonna say :whistle:
        Jim

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
i have had a dog knock over my traps before, but never a snowmobile. get out the summer rod and cast a 6/0 treble hook at their heads

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
is there a rule that states a snowmobile has to stay a certain distance from a fisherman where you live? i think i seen it on a thread before that there is a law like that here in new york state. cuz that is some bull.

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
 Last weekend on the DEAD SEA i saw one of my buddys polars get smashed by a sled he didnt even stop he just looked at us and took off  >:( >:(
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
must not be a good week for tip ups. i just read about someone else gettin their tip downs smashed up to. i haven't heard about this year till now. maybe it is due to everybody trying to get in that last week of pike and eyes.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
The real problem here is that we are in their way, see it is our fault according to them for setting up our tip-ups in their way.     lol.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
I like that Alaskan dreams.  then it would be thier fault if they ran into my 270 bullet that I was sighting in on the lake while waiting for a flag. ;D ;D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
theyd be the same people that would sue you if your tip-up got caught and caused them to flip :tipup:

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
Yeah but it must be frustrating.   I like the frabils (the big ones) but then me and Chucker ewere up on Lake george and I got to thinking, that I think I understand why a lot of people use the heritage lakers, becuase they are easily visable to hisgh speeding snowmobiles (and hey if you need a club for a monster fish you have a beefy tip-up)

I have heard about tip-ups being run over, sorry that yours got run over.     I think its needless to say he must have been really pissed off, I know I would have.     

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
One of my buds tip-ups got hit on the Dead sea last Sat. too, the guy came back and I asked him to apologize, he just looked at us with a dazed look and said he didn't see it, what a dumb-a$$ ???! I own a sled and have never hit a tip-up.

Robb :tipup:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
That looks like grounds, for an ass kickin..... >:(

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
must not be a good week for tip ups. i just read about someone else gettin their tip downs smashed up to.

wormwigglr, didn't you know; it's "tip-up wrecking week" in the U.S.?

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
it definately seems that way. i'll be ticked if someone hits mine, though.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
This happened to us on Lake George last Saturday! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

They should make it legal to shoot any snowmobiler, 4-wheeler, truck , car, that runs over your tip-ups. THat would stop alot of them from zipping through where we ice-fish! ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline panfishing pirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

MikeThePike

What you do is plant landmines 20 feet before the tip-ups so they just fly right over them. I'd be pissed if a snowmobiler took out any of my tip-ups. Thats the main reason I aviod the bigger lakes is because the way it seems around here is they'd just as fast hit u and run as your gear.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
guess its a good thing i got my tip ups for just under 3 bucks a piece.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
im glad most lake i fish dont alow snowmobiles :tipup:

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was thinking of setting up some claymor mines or bringing my shotgun, at 80 mph its just like shooting skeet!  ;D

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
i'd like to shoot them at close range so they splatter apart like skeet though.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
Take a shovel and make a ramp or big pile of snow on one side of your tip-ups, they will most likely try to avoid the snowpile.   

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just set up a short length of re-bar on either side of your tip ups, that may take some of the fight out of the sleds, for the real coyboys, slam a spud bar into the ice and see who finds it.  Just kidding of course, but when you are set up just below the ice for salmon and cruising lakers, snowmobilers can ruin your whole day.  Just my 2 cents.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
i would bring my painball gun with me if i was worried...works good in the summer for jet-skis too!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Potato gun potato gun potato gun! Make sure to leeeead him, leeeead him. Touch off! PPHUUUMP! Scares the crap out of jet skiiers :o ;D Yeah I hear you guy's pain. A few of the lakes I fish are the same way.... always someone runnin around on his sled. Usually, if they get within 50 yards I pack up and leave because it usually shuts the bite right off. I don't use tip-ups but I can imageine what I would do if someone ran over something of mine!

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
The funniest thing I ever saw run over a guys tip-up was an ice boat up by Bolton Landing on Lake George. This iceboat sailed through our tip ups but ran over the guys next to us. He swung around and came through again but this time the guy started throwing full cans of beer at the ice boat. The guy in the ice boat just waved and kept on going. Very funny thing to watch but did feel the ice-fishermans pain at losing a tip-up.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
I can see both sides of the story, becuase I am an avid snomobiler, and ice fisherman. When I do take my sleds out on the lake, I will slow down to a couple mph untill I pass the tipups/fisherman. As an icefisherman, I try to stay away from where the snowmobiles and fourwheelers go. Like on the deadsea there is a freaking autobond out there off mayfield beach. I try to stay way from that kinda stuff ;)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
it happened to me twice this year!!!!

the first time was on the dead sea during the tourney in January. i purposefully set my tipups away from the well traveled path in the fresh snow to avoid the sleds..

the second time i was up in the Adirondacks saw three sleds all day..the guy was actually waving at me as he ran it over....

you can always tell when its an icefisherman they slow down and head away from where you are....thanks to those guys and to the rest slow the f*$k down and open your eyes.

i go out with a few friends each time (3 to 6 people) and it only happens to ME what the hell. but after all that, both tipups still work....i will never buy anything but the polars.

we only got a few weeks left so get out and fish!!!
toothycritter

Offline The Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
I had this happen to me last year where a snowmobile ran over one of my polars. After showing the guy the bent shaft he pulled out 20$ and paid for it. One of the rare ones I guess

However, I have since made a dozen or so "Flags" about 3ft long wooden dowel with a different color flag "Green" at the tip and set them up around the perimeter I am fishing. Anybody in a sled, ATV or car can see them ahead of time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.