The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Running Cold - Advice Needed  (Read 480 times)

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster Running Cold - Advice Needed
« on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I have a Strikemaster MAG 2000 that I have had for about 4 years.  I took it out today for the first time this year and it ran really poorly.  I had a really hard time getting it started and after it started it took even longer time to warm up enough to drill reliably.  It wasnt really that cold out (maybe 10 deg).  I have maintained it well i think - i drain the fuel every year and run only high octane gas with the 2-stroke oil mix.  Any ideas?  Thanks - I really want to run it this weekend.

FWIW, it seems to run ok when i work on it in my garage (about 7k feet altitude; the lake I was at today was about 9k feet). 

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster Running Cold - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Could have been running rich, especially since you went up in elevation from your garage.  Does that one have an adjustable carb?  Check the spark plug, may need a new one.  If you can't adjust the carb and it doesn't run well at higher elevation you could put a hotter plug in to help.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Sounds like it you are running rich at altitude.
Adjust the high speed mixture adjustment for a leaner mixture when going up the hill.  ;)
Thinner air means a richer mixture.
You will need to do the opposite when heading down the hill.  :)

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the advice.  I took the fuel system apart last year with a friend and I cant adjust the carb.  I might play with the mixture a little and i will definitely get a new plug and a hotter plug and try them both out. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.