Author Topic: Regulation question: jigging spoons with treble hooks  (Read 2641 times)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey All,

I sometimes fish with small jigging spoons and tip the hook with a waxworm or smelt head.  Some of these such as the Northland Forage Minnow and Buckshot Rattle spoons come with a treble.  Does the following regulations mean that I need to change out any of my jigging spoons that have treble hooks? 

"Two (2) ice fishing devices are allowed per person. Single hook with single hook point for bait, or an artificial lure or flies shall be used to take fish through the ice."--Listed in the section describing the regulations for lakes managed for lake trout/lls.

"Hooks used for bait while ice fishing must have only a single hook with a single hook point per ice fishing device."--Listed in the general ice fishing regulations.

"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: Regulation question: jigging spoons with treble hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:44 PM »
that's what it sounds like to me

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Yupp gotta switch to single hooks with any natural bait for some reason

catch pike like its my job

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Yupp gotta switch to single hooks with any natural bait for some reason

I can see reasons for not allowing trebles on traps with bait when fish typically swallow the bait and swim away (I use circles anyway)...but allowing treble hooks on artificial lures except for if same artificial lure is simply tipped with a piece of bait seems odd to me.  I guess I'll be buying a bunch of hooks this year! 

Anybody have any recommendations on style, brand, size to replace the trebles on Northland spoons from 1/16th ounce to 3/8th ounce?  I often replace trebles with slightly larger single hooks while fishing with 2-4 ounce crippled herring for stripers, lake trout, and cod, but have never changed trebles out of such small spoons.  Regardless, I like to use good quality hooks when possible (the trebles that came with those spoons have always been nice and sticky, and I never hook fish deep).
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2012, 05:16 AM »
Love those forage minnows. They will catch anything!!!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:41 AM »
You can use spoons with trebles, you just cant bait the hook. Other than that you are good to go!

Airplane jigs are one of my favorite go to lures, but I like to tip it with a chunk of sucker meat...so I ended up just cutting off the trebles and now im good to go.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:02 AM »
If you have a bunch of sweedish pimples they come with a single hook, and depending on size pimple it may be just the right size for your other lure.  that style, IMO, is the kind you want to use when swapping out a treble. 

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 AM »
You can use spoons with trebles, you just cant bait the hook. Other than that you are good to go!

I'm very partial to waxworms.  Crappies won't take it without a waxworm (unless it is open water and during the spawn), I've tested that quite a bit!

A lot of people swear by airplane jigs, but I have yet to do really well on them and tend to stick to spoons...but then again, having confidence in a lure is usually what allows fish to be caught on them.  I'll remember to cut the treble off!  I've never really cared for that extra hook anyway.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Love those forage minnows. They will catch anything!!!

That, they do.

bdragon

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:47 PM »
 Man Outdoorsman you are having way to much fun. Thanks for sharing.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Man Outdoorsman you are having way to much fun. Thanks for sharing.

Time was abundant, and so were the fish during the last couple of years.  I'll have considerably less time to fish this year unfortunately, but I'm hoping for a good season regardless! 

Oh, and I forgot one.   ;D

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Is that last pic a salmon????????????

Yes it is!  I jigged up quite a few in Maine. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.