Author Topic: Sonar  (Read 1728 times)

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
Sonar
« on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Hey guys,
I am looking into getting a sonar. I am looking to spend around $300 dollars and there are a few good manufactures out there. I see a lot of the Marcum brand on the ice. Was wondering what you guys thought?
Thank you

Hurry up Cascade!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Sonar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:25 PM »
I bought a marcum Lx3 and unit is a game changer. For 30 years i used bait and today fished artificials
with success. I also liked it this fall on open water applications. 

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Thanks TRT. What about the MarCum VX-1Pro? This is in my price range.

I know that there might be a few more bells and whistles with the Lx3.
Thanks

Offline TAIL-CHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I just got my new marcum troller in the mail on Friday I can't wait for good ice so I can try it out.

Offline Fooshnix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2012, 02:52 PM »
This is my third season using a Marcum LX5. I can't say enough good things about it. It has all the features I wanted in a flasher and I haven't had any issues with it. Good quality product in my book. I really like the dual beam transducer and the zoom option as I fish in various water depths depending on where I am at. The LX5 has plenty of power and I have never had a problem marking the smallest jig I have in my tackle box. Very easy to use. Good luck in your quest for a flasher. You will never regret it!
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

∑><(((°≥

∑><((((°≥

∑><((((((°≥              ∑><((((°≥
              ﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪ ﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪﭪ

sihlms391

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2012, 03:03 PM »
I have a vx1-pro and it works great for what I want.  It is simple to use and I have had great success with it.  I have tried a hummingbird and I didn't like it.  I have had mine for three years now.    I was thinking about getting lx-5  but I don't have the cash.  Hope this helps you out. 

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Thanks guys.......Can 2 or 3 people fish off the same sonar or would the 3 be to close?
Thanks

sihlms391

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Yes,  I have used two people on mine.  It gets confusing some times when you get two people using fish finder.   If one stays above the other it works ok.   .  I don't like sharing but tell everyone what depth the fish are at.  I usually only use one pole.  Some times I use two if the bite is slow.    Hope this helps you out. 

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Thank you. I guess I should have asked about not 2 people out of the same hole, but how far apart would work best? Hole distance.

sihlms391

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:52 PM »
It depends on your depth you are fishing and what  you set your gain to.    I drill mine probably a foot apart.  I fish out of both hole.  Put the transducer in one and fish out of the same hole.  I use beaded chains for my weights so the gain doesn't have to be turned up much.      It takes time to learn a new fish finder.  I even use mine on open water when I am out on my boat and I fish straight down. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:02 PM »
As I have said before; I do not understand why so many people are stuck on just a couple brands, when a well known brand has every thing you need and more FOR LESS MONEY!!!;

I found the Garmin 300C Fish Finder to have all the features that I was looking for; Color with a high pixel count, a gain that lets me see tiny jigs in 40+ feet of water, a split screen with ZOOM, a flasher screen if I want it, but best of all, all for about $200.00.  It does not come or have available from Garmin an “Ice Transducer”, but Ice Shanty is full of ways to get around that. Now that I have used it a number of times, I can say that it performed very well. NO lag what so ever.  I did not get to try it around other user, so I can not speak about interference, but for me that is not a problem. I use 2 rechargeable 6 volt batteries ($20 total) in series for a total of 9 amps (cheaper than 1, 7 amp 12 volt battery). I tested the batteries for about 18 hour in two days and still had not gotten the batteries below 11.5 volts (unit works down to 10 volts). The dual beam is great and helpful split screen zoom!
It would not be the right unit for every one, but it has almost all the features of units selling for twice the money and will work even better for open water use.
Specs;

Display size, WxH:    2.1" x 2.8", 3.5" diagonal
Display resolution, WxH:    240 x 320 pixels
Display type:    QVGA
Weight:    9.6 oz (272 g)
Waterproof:    yes (IPX7)
Features and Benefits:
Audible alarms:    yes
Dual-beam sonar capable :    yes
Split-screen zoom:    yes
Ultrascroll® (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds):    yes
Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets):    yes
AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets):    yes
Whiteline (indicates hard or soft bottom):    yes
Adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects):    yes
Bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up):    yes
Water temperature log and graph:    yes
Water temperature sensor included:    yes
Water speed capable (displays speed on water):    yes

Frequency:    80/200 kHz (dual beam)
Transmit power:    Dual Beam, 150 W (RMS), 1,200 Watts (peak to peak)
Voltage range:    10-20 VDC
Maximum depth:    900 ft (dual beam)
Cone angle:    45° or 15° (dual beam)
One of the reasons for the long posting is to point out that there are many choices, not just the same ones most other anglers are using.
Tight Line!

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Get a Vexilar and be happy for years.

The earlier Marcum stuff had it's fair share of issues. The newer ones are much improved.

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Just going to throw this out there I own an FL 8 and have used it hard since 2003 and never had to replace a thing on it. Batterie still gets full charge. My buddie purchased aMarcum two years ago and is having a very hard time with customer service getting it fixed. Don't know if he just got a lemon or not. A vexilars led flasher is faster too. All opinion, no matter what you get you will ice more fish.
MNiceman
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline icefishingnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:20 AM »
One of my fishing partners and myself each bought a Marcum Showdown digital fish finder which is what you see all the guys using on the ice fishing shows on the Sportsman Channel.  We absolutely love them.  I have never used a flasher so I don't really know the difference between the two and debated between one of them and the Showdown when I was making the purchase but I'm sold on the Showdown.  It has definitely increased the catch rate (although there have still been days I have smelled skunk :-\).

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:44 AM »
I bought a Showdown Dual Beam last year and like it a lot.  Very easy to use if you never used any type of flasher before, I didn't, and it works as advertised.  Most places are selling them for just under $400 so I don't know if that's more than you want to spend.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:12 AM »
my suggestion is dig a little deeper in the money department. you wont regret it. i first purchased an fl8. used it for a couple years and realized a bottom zoom helps a lot especially for discerning several fish on the bottom or those hugging the bottom. I then bought a marcum lx5 for the duel beam as well as the moveable zoom. It does everything. you get the same functionality from the vexilar fl18, humminbird ice45, and marcum lx5.

i guess what i am saying is you save money in the long run by buying the top models sooner then later.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:16 AM »
I agree with Woodland. Buy one you'll be happy with from the start. That being said, any flasher is better than no flasher.  ;)

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:28 AM »
For all that dont know. the best time to buy a flasher is cyber monday. All the online retailers had some amazing deals ($100 off $500 and so on) i was able to get a brand new lx5 for $350 last year with cyber sales and mail in rebate.

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I have a marcum vx 1 pro and I love it.  It is simple to use, it has bottom zoom which comes in handy and the price is pretty good.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Thanks everyone ;) I am thinking on the LX-3tc.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:25 AM »
i got a vexilar FL-8 SE and it served me fantastically when i got out last thursday. i could clearly see depth, as well as understand fish signals and the signals of my lure. i caught fish i otherwise wouldn't have even seen with my camera.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:35 AM »
OK, There was a gentleman that came down and showed me his Marcum......Sonar. As I was watching it, fish came through above my lure. I'm hooked. It was the VX-1. Good enough for me. My price range. Thank you guys for all the help. It's great to see so many people that are willing to help.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Excellent choice.  As a Marcum Pro Staffer, I can tell you you will be happy with that unit for years. 

As for the poster who said his buddy was having a hard time with Marcum customer service...that is very surprising, you just never hear that. Marcum customer service is the best in the business!

For those who are still undecided, buy a Showdown 5.6. Easiest to use (I had 6 year olds using them last week, SO simple to use) When/if you decide to move up, you can sell them in 10 minutes on Craigs list...

Good luck to everone in 2013!

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I am sure you will be happy with your choice.  I love mine and it will not break the bank.

Offline jackers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:24 PM »
I use my hummingbird 565 off my boat, and jimmyrig it so the transducer sits horizontal and it works just fine, even in the cold weather.  works just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.