The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: careful...it's not worth the risk  (Read 1596 times)

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
careful...it's not worth the risk
« on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Heard a report on Lake link that someone fell through and drowned on Petenwell last night....

A fish is not worth undue risk.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: careful...it's not worth the risk
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Not to be mean but what was he thinking their is barely safe ice here let alone in Southern WI on that big of a lake.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Well, Petenwell is in Central WI and it was (from reports) in a backwater slough, not main lake which is wide open...but yeah...I know a guy that has been hauling 20lb Northerns for the last week up in Wausau/Tomahawk areas...he a little nuts if you ask me.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 PM »
The biggest lake I've ventured on has been 30 acres with no current or springs but its been way to warm out.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I would be scared to go out south of hyw 8. I need 3" and check as you walk with a good spud bar and drill holes often to check thickness. I like ice fishing as much as anyone, but it's not worth getting wet and freezing walk back to the truck if you are that lucky. If you are crazy enough to go on thinner than 3 inches, don't go alone and wear a life jacket and bring rope and ice picks, because you better plan on someone falling through..

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Remember, good ice won't break, bad ice will. It is all good ice till it breaks. Stay off till we have some good cold weather. I know that we all want to get on the ice right now but there is not a fish out there worth your life. Remember, it is a lot easier to go in than to get out.  Jerry

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Clear ice is good like glass you can see right through it, as it gets bad it starts to fog up and gets air bubbles in it. Ice can change right during the day when you are out. water and slush on top of the ice along with warm weather can make it go bad fast. I remember last March well, within a 7 day span I went from driving my truck out on 15" of ice to taking my boat out on the same lake 7 days latter. Now that was crazy.

Offline Jiginitis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PACKERS. BERNIE. BUCKY
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:45 PM »
That's very unfortunate be safe guys
Here's to the heat not the type that heat shacks and shanty's but the type that burn off bras and panties

-hummingbird 345c
-frabill
St.croix rods

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2012, 07:24 PM »
i agree with this, i went in tuesday up by chetek, the pond had plenty of fishable ice but i found the one bad spot, had a life vest on, but that didnt stop it form being cold, been sick as hell since, that same day a man went through and died just south of me, im def waiting a long ass time to get back out, the itch is gone now.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I got out on Nokomis this morning.  3-5 inches in the bay I was in.  Caught some gills and smallperch.  2 pike on tip ups.  Sure was nice to beout.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I got out on Nokomis this morning.  3-5 inches in the bay I was in.  Caught some gills and smallperch.  2 pike on tip ups.  Sure was nice to beout.
Been out on Alice yet? was out there last year first ice up...did well on gills and a few crappies and a norther or two.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:48 PM »
I will reitterate what I said....be careful and all ice IS NOT SAFE!!!

My best friend fell through the ice last night on a Hayward lake..was in a backwater area trapping. Snowmobile went thru and they found him dead this morning. Use your head....it's not worth it unless you know for sure!!!! :'( >:( He had just been telling me there was 6" of ice and it was safe.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend. Some back water swampy areas never freeze good. Don't take anyone's word for ice condition check for yourself. All people can do is report ice where they were at, doesn't mean there are not bad spots out there. I still have been bringing a pfd with me and ice spikes and rope, don't go alone is the best advise. That is 2 people now from trapping in backwater areas, probably with a little creek current running through as well.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Sorry to hear this but going with a buddy prevents tragedies. If one falls through, at least you have someone to pull you out, considering everyone carries a rope, i know i do. 

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Sorry about your friend. Been there.  It sucks.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:55 AM »
sorry to hear about your friend. sometimes we push a little to hard. wait and be safe and wake up in the morning with your family.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:14 AM »
I just found out last night I knew the guy also, not a good friend but I had talked with him a few times. He was the owner of Sisko's resort on the Chippewa flowage. My daughter was good friends with his daughter. I knew he was a trapper in the winter. He should have known the ice and area as good as anyone. I don't know what happened other than he went through on his snowmobile, maybe he was trying a new area?? Very sad news. Don't go out alone.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:44 AM »
wasn't a new area ...was 1/4 mile behind his house and 1/2 mile behind mine. We knew the area very well. he'd trapped that bay for over 35 years.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I'm assuming Kavanagh Bay.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:35 AM »
yes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum