Author Topic: Grizzly 600 traction  (Read 1295 times)

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Grizzly 600 traction
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Got access to a Yamaha Grizzly 600 that had been sitting for 3 years. Got it running, cleaned the carb, took the junk out of the tank and lines, and added a fuel filter.

Does anyone have experience with this ATV?

It had a lift kit installed and huge (24/12-12) Vampire tires put on all around. Can't go to full lock in a turn or it will bottom on the foot plates.  I'm going to use it for ice fishing. I think I need more traction - what do people recommend in a case like this? I don't really want to lose additional turning radius with a V-bar chain, do I? Would it fall between the agressive cleats? How about studs?

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

Dave

FRESHBAIT

Re: Grizzly 600 traction
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:50 PM »
My dad has two grizzlies both stock and never had any issues traction wise even on bare ice.  Chains though are never a bad idea and can be put on or taken off as needed

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Do you think I could get away with just one set of chains on the back? Problem is the rear brake (if it even worked) is only on the right side - spin city.

Dave

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2012, 12:35 PM »
put one chain on the rear, what ever side the brake is, and another on the front to steer with.
fish on

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:13 PM »
i would do chains in the rear and ice screws in the front unless u can get away with chains up front ive had some bad luck with front chains rubbing on the steering linkage but no experence with a grizzly, isnt the rear locked like most atv`s?  so if the chain was only on one rear tire that would result in some intresting braking?

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Set of 4 chains on my 660 good steering and braking.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:48 PM »
I have chains on the back of my 650 arctic cat. I saw a guy today with chains on the front only of his 500 sportsman, he was quite happy.  I was happy too as there was half a foot of snow on the ice today.
Thread killer

Offline Bottombouncer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:25 PM »
I would go back to stock tires and then you can do what ever you want!!!!!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:51 AM »
I have a 700 Grizzly stock. I put chains on the back and just hang on. It is an animal.

I never thought about screws in the front. I have to check that out. Mine has room for chains on the front, I just didn't want to buy another set. Between the two it definitely pulls best when having them on the rear wheels.

WS

Offline WIhoundguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Chains on the back and skis on the front works awesome. Skis have carbide runners and float nice on the deep stuff.
WiHoundguy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.