Author Topic: Chesterfield  (Read 5017 times)

Offline TroutKid223

• IceShanty Rookie
Chesterfield
« on: Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Hey does anybody have any Ice Info on Chesterfield?

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Reading the southern ice info someone has seen some fishing on it not sure the conditions though
Doug

Offline ID lipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:17 PM »
I was just in sportsmans in riverdale,Utah Their reports board is saying chesterfield is capped and there has been some brave souls fishing it    this is what is on the south Idaho ice thread
Doug

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 PM »
I have been waiting to hear it is frozen.  I really want to make a couple of trips up there.

Offline LCJ Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I'm lookin to head over that way for Christmas from Boise. I'd really like to make it over there and fish until the sun goes down and then relax in Lava Hot Springs. If you've never been there you should check it out. It's a pretty neat little town and the hot pools are awesome!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 02:56 PM »
That was me that seen the report in sportsmans, wish I could have verified it my self. My mom lives in lava hot springs and she has decided to come down here this year, so its lookin like I won't hit chested till after the new year :'( X2 on what lcj fisherman said lava is a great little town and the hot springs are very relaxing after a day on the ice. Just don't plan on doing anything after you get done soaking cause it really knocks you out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jcsns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Ice is good. Around 6 inches. Alot of people out fishing. All the fish we caught and seen caught were real small.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 AM »
Ice is good. Around 6 inches. Alot of people out fishing. All the fish we caught and seen caught were real small.

Good to hear jcsns, thanks for the report. I sure hope i can get up there soon. What depth were you fishing in?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jcsns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:40 PM »
10 feet seemed to be the best

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:29 AM »
That's pretty much the most productive depth for me there also, used to fish in 20 and it wasn't cuttin it at all.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Stacked69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Fished today about 150 yards out from boat ramp.  Landed 30+ and lost about 30 more.  Fishing just off the bottom and sometimes about 10' down.  Mostly caught dinks but the action was pretty steady all day.  Fished from about 8:30 to 2:00.  Didn't really matter what you where fishing with as long as you had some worm on the hook.  Ice was about 8".

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Fished today about 150 yards out from boat ramp.  Landed 30+ and lost about 30 more.  Fishing just off the bottom and sometimes about 10' down.  Mostly caught dinks but the action was pretty steady all day.  Fished from about 8:30 to 2:00.  Didn't really matter what you where fishing with as long as you had some worm on the hook.  Ice was about 8".

Thanks for the report stacked, 8in of ice sounds great  ;D was there enough snow to run my sled?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Stacked69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 PM »

Thanks for the report stacked, 8in of ice sounds great  ;D was there enough snow to run my sled?

Several snowmobiles and 4-wheelers on the ice.  I did hear that a 6 wheel amphibious atv did go through the ice.  I saw it early in the day but it must have broke through after we left.  Not sure where it went down.  Ice was soft around the edges but seemed ok with me.   But this is second hand info. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:18 AM »
Thanks stacked, i think i should be ok with my snowmobile then. Looking at coming up there this friday
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:49 AM »
 There was a post on BFT about the incident,They evidently sunk a cargo trailer  and were able to retrieve the argo later.

Offline Team Jiffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:37 PM »
12/30/12 Fished Chesterfield 150 yds from the boat ramp. 20 ft water. 3 of us caught approx. 15, all small, nothing to brag about. Didn't see many people catching fish.

Offline cuda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Me and my girls were out there today tryin out my new toy (fish finder) watched fish come out of nowhere on the screen at 15ft and charge our jigs at 10 reely fun
Keep chill

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:24 PM »
All i can say is BRRRRRR!!!!!

fishin as for the most part, shall we say frozen!! Fish sticks anyone  ???

All in all it turned out out be a great day on the ice, just a little cold  @)

this fish set the home made jacker off but i had to hook it old school, i think i need to shorten my leaders

ever seen heat coming out of a tent like this? At noon? and that aint NO spiccoli van.  lol

I wish they hadnt removed the bows from the tourney this year as i think we could have gave cheif a run for his money here

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Awesome pics.  Great post!

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:34 PM »
Lol nice pics  @)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Awesome pics.  Great post!
Lol nice pics  @)

Thanks guys it was a great trip. I really need to get up there more
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Are there still Kokanee in there? I left Grace in 87 and have not been back to fish.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:26 PM »
All i can say is BRRRRRR!!!!!

I wish they hadnt removed the bows from the tourney this year as i think we could have gave cheif a run for his money here

yea that's cold.....

and yea I had a 20"er that I posted pics in the pic forum... I took all the necessary pics and found out when I got home that they took off the Rainbow Trout and Bluegill..... :'(
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:06 PM »
that was a disappointment, I cought some good rainbows at chesterfield last year and was looking forward to getting on the board from there this year, I also caught a good bluegill the other day, was disappointed that they aren't in the tourney this year either.  I still need to make a run to chesterfield.

Offline cpierce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Pump said,
"Are there still Kokanee in there? I left Grace in 87 and have not been back to fish."

No, kokanee aren't stocked in there.  It mostly has rainbows, with a rare occasional catch of a brown or cutthroat.

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:09 PM »
We used to catch some small silver salmon in the 80's along with mainly rainbow. The outlet had some big brookies as well, one went 16".

Offline cpierce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:12 AM »
Chinook were planted in the 80's and kokanee were planted the early 90's..   Just sterile bows now and whatever wanders down from spawning in the streams. 

I am amazed that they tried the salmon in there.  The majority of it isn't very deep.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:09 PM »
yea that's cold.....

and yea I had a 20"er that I posted pics in the pic forum... I took all the necessary pics and found out when I got home that they took off the Rainbow Trout and Bluegill..... :'(
Matt

:'( i hear ya, the bow was one i was looking forward to this year

Chinook were planted in the 80's and kokanee were planted the early 90's..   Just sterile bows now and whatever wanders down from spawning in the streams. 

I am amazed that they tried the salmon in there.  The majority of it isn't very deep.

Would have never thought they would put those in there, X2 on the depth
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I was in the mood for a long-format report today.

February 2, 2013

Groundhog day.  And we kept reliving the same catch-a-dink moment all day.  Chesterfield with my son and his friend.  My wife was all packed to go, but woke up with a cold.   >:(

Started at daylight, way up North on the West side, about 100 yards from shore.  Drilled directly from ice to mud.  My poor blades!  Moved gradually out to the middle, where we finally found 2 feet of water beneath the ice.  Worked our way a good distance South from there until we found 4 feet of water under the ice.

You could tell that things had  been a slushy mess at some point.  There were some deep four wheeler ruts and left-over slick spots from a previous melt.  With plenty of white ice on top,  when it warms up again it will be a real mess.

Set up camp with 14 rigs, mostly dead sticking worms & corn.  Steady action made it hard to get and keep all our lines in the water.  We eventually added two poles jigging small dark crappie/maribou micro jigs in green and black.  All dinks, all day, except one.  After lunch the bite continued, but became very light.

About 2:30 in the afternoon my jigging pole had been put into the holder and I was messing around with the camera.  That pole went down hard and the reel was just singing.  I got to the pole and as I managed the fish, four other poles in our spread went down hard.  Pandemonium!   When I reached stand off with the fish, my son's buddy demonstrated that the poles were all connected, as he would pull and the others would dip.  Additional synchronized movement on all the poles told us the brute was still on, somewhere.

Twenty minutes and some cold arms later, we got him on the ice, through a hole on the opposite side of our spread.   As he was foul hooked and a yucky male, we each snapped a quick picture with him and put him back.  Couldn't resist weighing him, 5 lb. 11 oz.  Also an interesting catch because F&G officially purchases only sterile females for planting.

Saw lots of dinks with bird-bite injuries, and for the second consecutive trip, one with a recent tail injury still bleeding, suggesting a brush with big-fish death.

We kept six. Largest of those was 1 lb. 10 oz.  Mostly calm, lots of sun, never even set up the shack or started the heater.  A great day with steady action and the boys had a blast.  PM me for fish totals.

Average fish of the day.

Another.

Biggest fish we kept.

The big ugly male that made the pandemonium.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Great post, sounds like it was a fun and memorable day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.