Author Topic: bitter/waubay lake sd  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: bitter/waubay lake sd
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:04 PM »
My bad..was just going off another thread.  Forgive me.  Just tired of people giving others a hard time on this site about things that are done legally and in moderation. 

10 day/20 possession I believe for South Dakota.  Havent been there since last year so not for sure.

Offline dghunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Perch limits are 15/day and 30/pos

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Eyedoc.......

Bring lots of gas.......hit the bait shops for areas the drill your butts off......last year I had to drill close to 75 holes before finding perch...then it was all over with in 30 mins.......but well worth the effort........

Good luck .........

I think I get what you mean? So once you found them you all caught your limit in a matter of 30 mins? that sounds like a good time. Many walleye? THanks for the info. We plan on doing a lot of checking and stopping at multiple spots but we will take all the help we can get! Thanks again.

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:33 PM »
My bad..was just going off another thread.  Forgive me.  Just tired of people giving others a hard time on this site about things that are done legally and in moderation. 

10 day/20 possession I believe for South Dakota.  Havent been there since last year so not for sure.

no worries man its all good, i shoulda filled in what i didnt get but to be honest i was looking and drooling on my keyboard and figured ya could read my mind lol!

every good fish story begins with this aint no bull  "captain phil harris"

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:58 AM »

you think this sites bad? thats why i dont post on the other one....im not gonna get preached to about ethics and morals for like you said doing something legally. plus at least from what i can tell on this forum you dont have to belong to some secret society of fisherman to be aknowledged and your not down talked all the time.....man i wanna head north bad!!!!

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Fishinfanatic-me too!!!  The bite up there right now is hot when you find them.  Unfortunately I cant make it up there til feb.  Have tournaments the next 3 weekends.

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Fishinfanatic-me too!!!  The bite up there right now is hot when you find them.  Unfortunately I cant make it up there til feb.  Have tournaments the next 3 weekends.

tournaments????

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Jan 13-grove lake
Jan 20-maskenthine
jan 27-big alkali

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:16 AM »
got any info on them? id like to fish one just for the learning experience if nothing else. i thought ice fishing would be pretty much the same as open water fishing wich i guess it is but theres definitely a twist to it and i wanna be able to catch em through the ice like i can on open water. i still cant beleive i waited 35 yrs of going out of my mind all winter when i could have(and wish i had!!) had this ice thing figured out a long time ago. ive read so much last winter and this fall/winter that ive forgot more than i can remember...oh well just gonna have to put the time in and do it.......

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Experience helps, but. . .
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Believe me, after 40-odd years of icefishing, just when I think I might have 'em figured out, either they disappear from my Vexilar screen or their little jaws lock up!   :whistle:
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Should be a thread on the top of the page with tourney info

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:55 AM »
thanks

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Experience helps, but. . .
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Believe me, after 40-odd years of icefishing, just when I think I might have 'em figured out, either they disappear from my Vexilar screen or their little jaws lock up!   :whistle:

ive got close to 40yrs on open water and and know all about their houdini act and how theyre like lucky charms that magicaly disappear ;D

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:16 AM »
I've had 2 or 3 slow days in the past few years up at BItter and Waubay out of about 21.  Best part is, most people sidle up to shanty town and hope....which helps me IMO.  I pick my spot on a high-res. lake map the night before and punch the coords into the GPS.....based on weather, time of year, etc.   I've NEVER "joined" a shanty town or group.   I've had buddies call me and tell me to get my arse out to a spot and done the same for them....but use your brain...not your eyes.  200 shacks in a 1 square mile doesn't mean jack.   My best fishing I've been all alone.  I used to follow shantytowns.....figure d out I might be better off reading articles, doing research, and pushing my own wheel tracks other than rolling on the ice highways.  Since then, I've had much better success, much less hassles, and a heck of lot more people in a cleaning house telling me how slow it was when I was using pallet jacks to get fish in the door.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:23 PM »
People shouldn't have to defend themselves on a message board. I will verify Boji's willingness to help others. Last year I went to Bitter for the first time and Boji helped me out. I intern gave him intell a month later. Stand up guy and hardcore icefisherman.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Right back at you D-dub.   I don't need defending....unless someone is trying to get into my deep freeze....LOL.  Walleye fillet tacos for lunch with the homemade pico de gallo...I've heard of second breakfast....but I might invent second lunch.  Wish I could PM everyone here one of these bad boys....rajun cajun good fun here.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:27 PM »
People shouldn't have to defend themselves on a message board. I will verify Boji's willingness to help others. Last year I went to Bitter for the first time and Boji helped me out. I intern gave him intell a month later. Stand up guy and hardcore icefisherman.

I will second that. :)

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Boji, you have a target on your back today? The haters are coming out of the woodwork. Must be the weather system moving in ??? Hope to meet you tomorrow

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Had a hot tip...and bailed.  Sorry...today was a good day.  Hands are worse than before...but never left NE.   There is and will continue to be large toothy fish in N.E. neb.  Now with the O2 levels falling...it's tougher and tougher...all the fish need to eat...weed choked bays are nitrogen choked as well.   This is when the "mid season blues" turn into my "where they &^*^ else could the be?"   :-)   Think like a fish now....shallow bays aren't quite there yet since the edges are still fully locked in (no fresh water run in - spurs the pike spawn...even for pike the bays  suck...and deep basin waters are o2 reduced and pressured....not empty, but reduced...not like a thermocline...but weak.  But the fish are moving, when conditions dictate...they stop and they eat.  If people understand a fish needs a what a lake has in terms of O2, food, cover, spawning areas, etc.....you find them.   It reverses the game...not "where are they?"...but "where aren't they".

Suspended fish.   Nothing else needed here for info.  Get your drills sharp...this is drilling season. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.