New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Navionics  (Read 1213 times)

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
Navionics
« on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Thinking of buying the navionics app on my iPhone.Anyone have it and your thoughts on it?

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Navionics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 PM »
make sure the app has the lakes you like to fish on it...
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:01 PM »
I have it for my android phone and as long as it has the lakes you fish you should be happy. It's way cheaper than buying a gps and the lake card. It's a great tool and will help you find and stay on fish. It's nice when you find a good spot you can use it to find it again. Only down side is that it uses the battery up pretty good. With my android phone I bring along a extra battery and/or a charger to be safe. I use the app for what I need it to do and then shut the app down when not in use to save my battery. I like it.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:21 PM »
I've been looking to get it as well a friend of mine has it as loves it. Would like to see some more reviews

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:27 PM »
i have it seems good going to test it on the hardwater as soon as nature allows me to....i would buy it i figured it was worth a shot for how cheap it is compared to gps systems
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I have it on my iPhone 5, seems really good although I have heard some of the soundings are a bit off. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a chip and worth the 10$. Looking forward to using it on hard water when it comes.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Might be a stupid question, but how does it work in limited coverage areas? can you download the maps before hand?

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 05:41 PM »
It appears to download the maps on my phone. I just put the phone into airplane mode and was still able to view the previously viewed maps in full detail.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I have a older navionic chip in my hand held that im very happy with.  Although im going to canada in February and my chip doesnt cover that area.  I bought the U.S. and Canada app for my phone for 15.00.  It is very detailed.  I will not use the app in the outside weather but i will mark my gps full of spots to try at bay of quinte.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:58 PM »
I have a older navionic chip in my hand held that im very happy with.  Although im going to canada in February and my chip doesnt cover that area.  I bought the U.S. and Canada app for my phone for 15.00.  It is very detailed.  I will not use the app in the outside weather but i will mark my gps full of spots to try at bay of quinte.

Will not want to use your phone over there with rooming charges. Learned that out the hard way lol

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:14 PM »
I know this grass hopper

Trooper Bri

« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:20 PM »
For GPS equipped phones and in more populated areas, it's a no-brainer for 10 dollars. I actually know people who use the app on tablets and fish LIS with it instead of popping for a fishfinder/GPS combo.

After you download the app, you have to size and select areas you want to download mapping for. Just select areas you fish normally, and if you travel, select and download more mapping. No extra cost.  It's to keep the app from taking up 3+GB of space.

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Had it on my andriod last year and loved it!!!! ;D

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I purchased the app for my iPhone 4S. I really like the details and features. There are option to plan routes which will help figure out distances, there are options which tell you current wind speed/temp. The sounding are not exact as was said before, but the maps do help you get an idea of what the structure is like. Well worth the money
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Does it have western ny lakes?  If so I will buy it.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:02 AM »
I picked up the US/Canadian version last night. See how it works.

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:08 AM »
@conesusguy - it does have the WNY lakes but some are in more detail than others. A lot of the smaller lakes don't have much more detail than what you can find online through the dec pages.

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:13 AM »
All i can say is Buy it. Worth every penny
"The Fisherman's Prayer" God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last catch I then most humbly pray When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep" - Homer Circle

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:15 AM »
The best app on my phone great to find ur way around new lakes and u can mark hot spots
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback.. Im definatly going to buy it.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:08 PM »

Where in Canada?  My chip in my Hummingbird covers alot of lakes in Canada and mine is the Northeast US chip, it doesnt say it covers them but it has worked wherever I have been.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Coulld you guys who have it explain to me how it functions?  Does it show your location in real-time?  Say I'm walking out to a spot does it show me where I am?  Or do you have to refresh it and then it shows you where you are?  Or does it not have that feature at all and is just basic topo maps?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Just got it and already love it.  ;D

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Coulld you guys who have it explain to me how it functions?  Does it show your location in real-time?  Say I'm walking out to a spot does it show me where I am?  Or do you have to refresh it and then it shows you where you are?  Or does it not have that feature at all and is just basic topo maps?

It has active GPS. I use the app all the time and love it.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Sold...thanks guys,been himmin and hawin for 3 months bout getting it
"MONGO'S"

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I'm trying to download it right now.  Does anyone know if you can share the mapping with the computer so that you can move data from your Chartplotter card?  Would be very handy with all my waypoints from the side imaging.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Where in Canada?  My chip in my Hummingbird covers alot of lakes in Canada and mine is the Northeast US chip, it doesnt say it covers them but it has worked wherever I have been.

Bay of quinte.  I already looked and my waterways stop at the border.

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Installed it today and I am very impressed already! I see it being a great tool out on the ice!

Tight lines!!

Offline sergeantworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I ve had the app for a little over 1 yr, used it on onieda, sandy, LOTI, black river bay and a couple other lakes both on soft and hard water. It does very well at showing the changes in depth. I have found it pretty accurate (with a standard deviation based on the water level). Ran it side by side with my finder most the time. It does kill the batt on my phone, lasts just a fraction of the time when its tracking. It dooes show your position and even your direction of movement on the map. Over all, it was a great purchase, much less than a chip.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Theres a cheap mobile battery charger you can pick up at radio shack for all you guys suffering fro
 a battery drain.  I'm definately getting this app thanks for the informed responses hopefully it makes me more efficient on the ice if we get any this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.