Author Topic: main line recommendation  (Read 208 times)

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
main line recommendation
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Last year I bought five Heritage Laker traps and stained them and varnished them up real nice.  I had one set up with 65 pound power pro braid for a mainline.  I took the line off of one of my surf fishing reels as I didn't like it.  Works great on the tip up.  Pricey though for lining up 4 more traps.  Anyone have any ideas for a cheaper braid alternative....looking to stay with the same type diameter as 65lb powerpro.  I see big reels of braid for like 20 bucks on ebay but they are chinese and suspect, to me.  I have been using the traditional tip up dacron and while I don't mind it I really like the braided line.  I feel there are several advantages og braid over dacron.  Any ideas?
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: main line recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:44 PM »
What are you fishing for that you are using 65lb test line?

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: main line recommendation
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Its 65 pound braid....has a thin diameter......not using it for its strength....I am using it because I like it.  It is thinner and way more manageable than dacron.  But since you asked I target trout mainly.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.