The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake trout in pa???  (Read 2613 times)

Offline adamaleski

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake trout in pa???
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Does anyone catch any lake trout in pa through the ice??   ???
its never to early to start beefing up your obituarie

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
Re: Lake trout in pa???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Except for 1 private lake I only know of, Lake Erie and Raystown are the only lakes I know having them and neither really has good ice over deep water consistently  :-\
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline adamaleski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Ha ha how did I know you would have your finger on the lake trout pulse too. Yea that's kinda what I figured.
its never to early to start beefing up your obituarie

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:33 AM »
HARVEYS LAKE ALSO HAVE LAKE TROUT.BIG BROWNS TOO.NEVER CAUGHT ANT THREW THE ICE. I HAVE CAUGHT NICE BROWNS THREW THE ICE YEARS AGO IN THE PAUPACK.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2012, 10:07 AM »
HARVEYS LAKE ALSO HAVE LAKE TROUT.BIG BROWNS TOO.NEVER CAUGHT ANT THREW THE ICE. I HAVE CAUGHT NICE BROWNS THREW THE ICE YEARS AGO IN THE PAUPACK.

I know there used to be lakers in there but I thought they all but disappeared after the smelt crashed  ???   still some very nice browns and walleyes if you put your time in for them  ;D

I know a few seasons back when Round Valley in NJ froze over, my brother and a few friends were jigging lakers like crazy. I just couldn't get the time off work until after the ice was shot to get out there though  :-\

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I know there used to be lakers in there but I thought they all but disappeared after the smelt crashed  ???   still some very nice browns and walleyes if you put your time in for them  ;D

I know a few seasons back when Round Valley in NJ froze over, my brother and a few friends were jigging lakers like crazy. I just couldn't get the time off work until after the ice was shot to get out there though  :-\

Exactly right ski hunter, since the smelt crash the Lakers went goodbye with them.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Stivvy83

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hey, Your end one's up!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Caught one through the ice at Raystown 2 years ago, but you need a very cold winter to freeze that lake to where its safe enough, and even then, it is still tretorous.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 01:58 PM »
i thought they were still some lakers left.i might be wrong.i know there is huge browns still in the lake. i also saw a guy catch a 6 # RAINBOW 2 years ago.that was open water though.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Isn't Merril closer than Round Valley?  Same scenario though, need deep cold and lots of line on the reel.
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:25 PM »
i thought they were still some lakers left.i might be wrong.i know there is huge browns still in the lake. i also saw a guy catch a 6 # RAINBOW 2 years ago.that was open water though.

There are still nice brownies and some respectfully sized rainbows I've caught down rigging thru the years. Good luck jigging for them thru ice tho...you'll have to weed thru the stockies first, and personally I've never done well there in hard water

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Isn't Merril closer than Round Valley?  Same scenario though, need deep cold and lots of line on the reel.

Merril Creek isn't open to ice fishing but it is a few miles closer

There are still nice brownies and some respectfully sized rainbows I've caught down rigging thru the years. Good luck jigging for them thru ice tho...you'll have to weed thru the stockies first, and personally I've never done well there in hard water

All I ever seem to get through the ice there is perch although I've only ice fished it a few times...have had a few really good marks that I'm sure were bigger trout but couldn't get them to commit

Offline digdog23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Beltzville Lake in Carbon County has some larger trout, but I haven't pulled em through the ice.  No lakers though.  There is a pretty good striper population if your interested in that.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2012, 04:00 PM »
 Doesn't help us easterners much, but I just saw that Beaverdam Reservoir got Lakers from 2005-2009

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2012, 05:07 PM »
my suggestion is east branch lake in johnsonburg. a buddy and i went up there years ago not knowing the lake and walked 50 yards off shore and found i was in 70 feet of water with the snow drag we decided to say the heck with it and just fish and put lines down and caught 3 lakers that day.  this is probably one of the only lakes you will find ice on for lake trout. i need get back there some day for the pike and walleye i have only ever been there once but we atleast caught lake trout... good luck

Offline ddubs3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:38 AM »
my suggestion is east branch lake in johnsonburg. a buddy and i went up there years ago not knowing the lake and walked 50 yards off shore and found i was in 70 feet of water with the snow drag we decided to say the heck with it and just fish and put lines down and caught 3 lakers that day.  this is probably one of the only lakes you will find ice on for lake trout. i need get back there some day for the pike and walleye i have only ever been there once but we atleast caught lake trout... good luck

I think the lake trout fishing there has gotten really screwed up with all the drawdowns the past few years.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:49 PM »
East Branch Lake dam in Elk county have lakers in there. I caught quit a few years ago. Haven't tried for them lately. The lake is drawn way down do to leak in dam. They will be working on it for the next 2-4 years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.