The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Slender Spoons?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slender Spoons?
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I just put in an order for a handfull of slender spoons and curious if anyone else around the state use them, if so whats your favorite size, and what do you usually target with them. Do you tip them or fish bare, if tipped, what's your favorite bait? I plan on using them mostly for perch, and anything else that decides to bite I guess.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slender Spoons?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:07 PM »
I know a few laker guys who swear by them, but not in this state... Not much help, I know, I know...

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I picked up a few this year also on my last order from Custom Jigs and Spins.  I'll tell you how they work soon.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:21 PM »
I use them quite a bit. i fish them tipped almost all the time. A few things you should know.

1. They flutter on their side and tend to plane off. In shallow water they will drift away from your sonar cone quite a bit.

2. They roll a lot when they flutter. To keep you line from twisting up tie a good quality ball bearing swivel a foot or two up your line.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline 4reel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:26 AM »
I use them quite a bit I usually tip them, the small ones with wax worms or maggots and the larger ones with a minnow head, I sometimes use a dropper hook but you have t watch for tangles

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I figured they'd have a pretty gnarly drop given the unique shape, to be honest I was watching a bunch of Tony Roach youtubes and decided I should have a few of those spoons in my favorite colors, well see. I kept em small and only ordered 1/16's and 1/8ouncers. I planned to fish them tipped with perch eyes or maggots and gulp heads, I think I know of a few jumbos that just might consider the offering.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:03 PM »
cant beat the jumbos !!! hope you knockem dead L L ;D ;D
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Not an answer from MT, but I use them alot in WI.  Great success on crappies, and perch.  Hope they work as well for you there!  Good Luck!

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:20 PM »
hey L L since your shopping . try the lindy frosty jig lt. green head with red eye and blood hook trebble 1/16 oz .i have just hammered the perch with these. use mealworms and maggote . it works so good when i lost one i had to buy the combo pack just to get the one i wanted. i cant get the pict. to post to prove it . talked to you last season ,i like canyon ferry and have some great spots marked. family wont eat speckeled suckers any more , just perch LOL

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 PM »
i went perching fishing with you and an other guy who was using the gun metal black and blue sticker one it. remember up at Nevada creek? He couldn't catch a cold. but then again he was "highly" medicated! ;)

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:40 PM »
im waiting for a report from nevada cr. now .ready to fish !!!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:28 PM »
i went perching fishing with you and an other guy who was using the gun metal black and blue sticker one it. remember up at Nevada creek? He couldn't catch a cold. but then again he was "highly" medicated! ;)

Aaaahahaha, forgot about that, I didn't know he was using a slender spoon.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:40 PM »
im waiting for a report from nevada cr. now .ready to fish !!!
Ill be driving by there next Sunday on the way to kalispell, if we don't hear a report by then ill bust a hole and post my findings...on a side note, from the silos webcam it looked like a sheet of ice across the south end of canyon ferry, I'm ready to find a few more of them jumbos!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Had the glow 1/8oz gold tied on 1 rod all day yesterday, was a tough bite, but when I finally found some fish I pulled 8 jumbos back to back out of the same hole in a matter of minutes, I had it tipped with a perch eye. I may have found a new favorite spoon!!

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:06 PM »
congrads on the big haul . and what was the gps # s .lol lol .you have a great x- mas . im leaving montana the 27 th . heading east for a while back to michigan . i will give a report from there , lots of fish !!! tight lines to all . i will miss montana and all the great hunting and fishing ;D ;D ;D

IceCreeper

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Dont leave without posting the pics you promised!

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:14 PM »
They work good with minnow heads for the walleyes,we used them in Mn last week,they smack em.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:08 AM »
You still digging them Lundin?  I just picked up a couple dozen.  Do you use the snaps they come with?  I thought about switing them out for o-rings.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:40 AM »
I do like them alot, they've got a crazy roll and are very slow on the drop almost like the flutter fish but even slower. I took the supplied snaps off because I use a similar snap tied to my main line for quick lure changes, split rings definitely wouldn't hurt though. My next order will be all 1/8's and 5/16's which are the same profile just different material thickness.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:34 PM »
I bought mostly 1/16th and 1/8ths, I did pick up 2 1/4's for the heck of it though.  I can't wait to give them a whirl tomorrow.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I use them quite a bit I usually tip them, the small ones with wax worms or maggots and the larger ones with a minnow head, I sometimes use a dropper hook but you have t watch for tangles

I agree the dropper is a no no with them. I like them on early or late ice when perch and walleye are more active and in shallower water. Smaller pike will hammer them , so it's easy to lose them compared to buckshots I've found.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.