The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First time LOTW trip . . . thoughts?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
First time LOTW trip . . . thoughts?
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:37 PM »
A couple buddies and I are looking to go to LOTW this year to target walleyes mostly and some pike. We're looking for some ideas on where to launch from, stay, etc and not on spending a lot of money since the drive there will already cost quite a bit. We were thinking about staying in a hotel and driving out to fish, although the sleeper cabins did look interesting. What is the best way to do the trip if it's our first time? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, how do the ice roads out there work? Are any of them private or can you drive down any one you want? Also, can you park on the side of them and walk a bit to fish?

Thanks

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
Re: First time LOTW trip . . . thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:45 PM »
If it were me going for the first time I would go with a resort. Instead of staying in a cabin/hotel room on shore you may want to just get a sleeper. It will probably close to about the same amount of money and that way you would get to fish the full time you are there! My advise would be to go with Arnesens Rocky Point. Great resort, helpfuly guides, and they will get you on the fish if you are out of one of their shacks. Despite what everyone says there is a night bite on Lake of the Woods!! If you stay out 3-4 nights in a row you should get some action at least 1 or 2. The day bite is awesome...first couple of hours and last few before dark hang on!! Sauger fishing will keep you busy and they sure are tasty! Best colors are Gold and anything that glows...especially white or pink. It's a great lake and the ice fishing is the best I have ever seen. Resorts have it down pat and cater to ice fisherman...I would hate to go all that way and not catch fish!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:36 PM »
My advise would be to go with Arnesens Rocky Point. Great resort, helpfuly guides, and they will get you on the fish if you are out of one of their shacks.

I have never heard anything but glowing reviews about Arnesens. I would say they they are a pretty safe bet.

Tell them you heard about it here... ;)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:34 PM »
PM Dirtball2 on here he"s the guy to be asking...as he lives up there year round.
Hard Ice

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. We had looked at Arnesens. One of my buddies does a lot of research and just emailed me saying that's where he is seeing a lot of good reports from. I'll be sure to pm dirtball2 also.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Gillcommander pretty much nailed it about the bite and such..... any resort up there will treat you right, just depends on which part of the lake you want to fish. Late Dec fishing is great! March on LOTW will change your life!!!! Just look forward to a good time and hang on. :)

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:36 PM »
March on LOTW will change your life!!!!

That's the story of my life!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM »
We run up and stay in the Baudette Motel. Then we drive out after paying $10 a day to have access to the roads. After that you can go anywhere your vehicle will take you. Check the fishing reports but i bet we average atleast 10 miles out of Pine Island. After that the lake has basically the same structure every where, and goes down about a foot a mile as you are driving out. The fishing reports will tell you how deep to go.

Just make sure you leave room for people to get by you on the ice roads if you park. ;D
"The Fisherman's Prayer" God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last catch I then most humbly pray When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep" - Homer Circle

Offline shane401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I have been staying at Lake road Lodge for the past 8 years. Brad and Penny are very good people!! I have always brought my kids along and that is the bonus here. A very quite and peaceful place. Just like Arensons but easier on the pocket book. I have always like the little GUY! Hope this helped
Shane Alwin

Offline MN Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 AM »
If a guy has a wheel house and wanted to come up and stay out for the weekend will the resorts give the same fishing advice?  I have no problem paying the access fees and such, I just have never really fished the lake and like someone said, I would hate to drive all that way and not catch fish or get the cold shoulder from the resorts because I have a wheel house.

Thank for the help
Flag!

Offline shane401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:47 PM »
I like going out of Morris point if i bring a house. The drive out to the fishing area is way shorter than Wheelers point. One thing you want to check out is who is having problems with pressure ridges. Hope this helps!!
Shane Alwin

Offline tzeigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:24 AM »
We stayed at Arneson's a few years but the past few we have stayed at Zipple Bay Resort.  Arneson's is very nice.  The only drawback of Arneson's compared to Zipple is you are on Arneson's time table.  You are taken out in the morning and picked up at night on their schedule.  At Zipple, you take your own vehicle out to your shanty and you can come and go as you wish.  The roads are marked and there are outhouses on the ice.  Not to mention the Igloo bar.  That being said, I wouldn't mind going back to Arnesons.  Taking your own vehicle is very nice tho....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.