Author Topic: Wait for Ice...Travel to Ice...or Get the Boat Out. What are you going to do?  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy a lake, build a dome over it and freeze the lake with an ammonia system.  I will ice fish year round.  Until then, I gotta wait it out.

I have joke about doing this for forever. Sure would be awesome!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I always told myself  if I win an insane amount of money I was going to buy a 757, gut it and put dirt go cart track inside and run carts while cruising at 25,000 ft. I have changed my mind and like your idea better! ;)
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
I m still very busy taking advantage of REAL GOOD fall fishing!

Offline pokey

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've always got the kayak ready to go. Last year my buddy and I had our best day ever on the white fishing for smallies in jan. We both boated double digits and had equal amount of pull offs. So i'm good either way, ice or no ice.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey those are some toads. Private pond stock?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bank fishing for me i  have been for the lst two months and did it in december -march last year get out the poles and hit the water if not you will be stuck in doors not fishning sitting behind a compueter doing nothing but wishing you were fishing.  like in grumy old men you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see ehat gets filled first. best of luck hope we get some cold water pic sooner or later. 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice gills plug
Fish on!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hunting and fishing every spare minute... live everyday like it's your last, which can't be done when the boat is winterized and there is no ice!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
I'm still bank fishing for Bluegill. And, catching fish......last year I never got on the ice, but had a very successful winter season. I think too many people miss out because they're not fishing the cold, but not frozen, water...lots of opportunity there. I've caught these within the last week, on ice jigs tipped w/spikes, below a slip float.

(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome gills as usual spkplug.  give us an idea of length and weight.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Gotta love those knot head gills and ears!

I will wait it out for a couple more weeks then decide if I'm going to head north or put the BassTender with the electric TM on my lake.

-Jeff

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm doing some hunting and waiting for the ice to come back. The ice had a start here but then it got to warm. Suppose to be getting cold again soon.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
Those are some fat gills.  Toads

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SWEET GILLS!!!!!!!!       I guess plug isn't in need of ice like the rest of us.     Nice catch!!     Waiting, waiting, wish the boat wasn't buried in the garage.     I may try some shore spots if the ice stays away.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
got the boat out yesterday, still not put away.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks for the compliments guys... the cold killed the batteries in my scale, but based on past experiences I would say those fish went from a low of 1 lb. to around 22 ozs. I can tell you they all were between 10-10.5" long. The native, or non-hybrids in the basket were smaller, just some 8-9 inchers.

Down here, safe ice may only last a few days, if it materializes at all. I realize that this is an ice fishing forum, so I try not to post photos of open water fish too often, but the fact is it's still winter, (or soon will be), and ice or no ice those BG are doing the same things they always do... whether you're parked over top of em' in a boat, jigging from inside a flipover, or casting from shore, for most practical purposes the fish don't care.....they're usually in the same spots whether it's cold enough to make ice, or a few degrees too warm...they're still catchable.

I hope I get out on some ice this year, but I won't wait for conditions to be just right for it to happen. Admittedly, smaller waters are better suited for this kind of fishing, since the deeper water is not always accessible from shore, but I have found fish at the entrances to smaller coves, especially those with easy access to deep water.  A slip float, some ice jigs tipped with spikes, a willingness to try something different, and and the desire to actually fish, rather than wait for perfect conditions, is all it takes.

Offline ice man17

• Team IceShanty Regular
just went out this morning with the flasher and spring rod got 16 fish a few nice perch and crappie mixed in with gills and a few massive redears

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
sounds like you did pretty good.  what was the magic lure/bait?
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
Some good lookin fish

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I managed a pair of eyes today , noth ;Ding huge but keepers. They made for a delicious dinner.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline blueblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
still taking the boat out and the fish have might i say been cooperating.getting ready to cook up some gills and eggs for breakfast after i get done here come on ice though!
blueblade

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

I put mine up way to soon we got this warm spell and my buds are pounding the perch and eyes I'll take rides and shore cast till ice , that's when i fill the freezer anyway

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Got these yesterday, still using ice jigs below a slip float..... still walking the bank, and still catching fish..... water temps have RISEN to 50 degrees on the surface.... reminds me a lot of last year,  guess that's why they refer to it as a weather pattern........

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Beautiful fish. Are they going on the wall> Look like 12"s.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
No taxidermist needed today....CPR only......they quit growing once you hang em' on the wall ;)

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Definatly a good day out..NJ sprk

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Great pic, great gills. Amazing.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Great fish, but man those fish are dark.  Are the males completely black when they are spawning?

Offline wawaseebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still got the Ranger out bass fishing, I love to ice fish but I sure loved fishing year around outta the lead sled.   

Offline Iceman2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be doing some extra hunting and trapping till we can get some good ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.