Author Topic: Friendly Reminder...Ice Fishing Courtesy  (Read 718 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Friendly Reminder...Ice Fishing Courtesy
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Many folks and families will be out enjoying ice fishing. Some are seasoned hard deckers while others are brand new to the whole ice fishing experience.

I'd like to provide these recommendations again this year for all of us who ice fish on being respectful to others around you and your party and for the overall environment.

-If you packed it onto the ice, pack it off the ice. Also if you see trash do your part and pick it up not only on the ice but trails leading to the ice and parking lots.

-If you take a pet, keep the pet on a leash or make sure they stay with you. Bring an old blanket or coat or just use your ice sled for the pet to lie down on/in they get cold too. Please clean up after your pet.

-If Mama Nature calls be prepared have toilet paper, plastic bag, container (plastic coffee cans with lids work great)...several times last year we found ripped up shirts left on the ice covering the human waste...totally disgusting.

-If you take children please watch them for safety reasons and please don't allow them to run all over the place yelling and screaming.

-If you have a tendency to pound a few brews and/or drop a few choice words, please be mindful of others around you especially families with children.

-If you use an ATV or Snowmobile please keep your distance from folks setup and fishing. Also again be mindful if you're allowing children to use these vehicles and for them to be respectful of others fishing and maintain their distance.

-If you night fish and use an ATV or Snowmobile don't overdrive your headlights and drive slow. Always be mindful of others out night fishing and some may be in ice tents that have reflective tape you may not see if full throttle at 50 MPH plus including if in snowy/foggy conditions.

-Don’t grill other fishermen for information. It's enough to simply ask someone how the fish are biting. If they then wish to expound on the subject, thank them for anything they may have enlightened you with.

-Don't crowd other fishermen. Give them and yourself some distance. If you then interact with them and they are okay to the idea of you moving closer then by all means do so.

-When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence.

-Don't use someone else’s drilled holes without their permission.

-Don't ask to use another anglers auger.  If your auger isn't working politely ask another angler if they'd mind popping a couple holes for you.

-If you see someone having difficulty lend a helping hand especially if they are having equipment issues.  Just never know when the time will come that you may need a little help.

-No matter the conditions always, always, always use those ice stakes to secure your ice tent as a breeze or wind can happen at any time.

-Always tell other ice fishermen about any ice safety issues you've encountered.

These are just a few reminders when out on the ice with others. Please share your recommendations. Have a great hard deck season!!!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
Re: Friendly Reminder...Ice Fishing Courtesy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:11 PM »
i agree 

Offline Hitmanhite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Thanks, newbie here. I guess that little porta pottie I bought for Powell will come in handy. Only been on the ice once at Rockport, and didn't catch anything, but bought all kinds of stuff to go this year. Fish off the boat most of the summer and also have 4 fishing kayaks. Never really crossed my mind of the porta potty.

Offline Utahman22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:27 AM »
I AGREE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.