Author Topic: condie resivoir  (Read 2734 times)

Offline bigdog853

• IceShanty Rookie
condie resivoir
« on: Mar 05, 2005, 10:33 AM »
does anyone know why they stoped airation during winter ??? ???

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: condie resivoir
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2005, 11:15 AM »
I think there's just jacks in there so they probably figured it wasn't worth the power.  Years ago they tried to net out all the predator fish so they could stock trout (and I think bass) like they did at Oyama, and it failed.  You can never get them all.  Maybe they want to kill them all off and try again?
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Call DNR and find out, there is a guy that lives out there and takes care of the place.
There are jumbo perch in there. They can not all be fished out, perch dont
get fished out.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Nice avatar! But perch can get fished out.  There's a warden's residence there, but I'm not sure what he does or where he works.  I went there, phoned the tackle shop and asked what was there, ( that's what the cell's for, right?) there were signs of a few people fishing, then giving up. (Skunk for me)  A few years ago there were only jacks being caught. I got a fighting mad 8"  pike that was about 1/3 mouth.  Now, back in the day, we used to catch some nice perch in there, especially in the early spring before the weeds grew up, but that was then, this is now...... :-[  You should think about coming back for the Saskatchewan centennial homecoming this year.  If you come in mid-May to end of June, you can do some serious carp fishing.  Bushbunny consider that too!  Adios, buzzbomb
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Ya we have done the carp fishing in May at Last Mountain, tons of fun, and the 1/2 hour fights are amazing!
U could be right about the fished out, but that would sadden and suprise me. I know they always
had trouble with the orientals there keeping an over limit. When my buddys and I got back into fishing, we always went to Condie, and this is were I taught my daughters to fish.
Well, I am no longer sad now, just mad!  >:(

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 08:13 AM »
The people who were over-fishing at Condie back in the '80s (that I saw anyway) were the same people who were filling their freezers out of RB, a young couple and a pair of old retirees (they might not even be living anymore) but not the orientals. I didn't see them there anyway but they may have been around when I wasn't there. I have seen them at RB, though.  It was like a trawler, the mom pulling a rubber dingy around with 5 or 6 kids in it, each trolling a line  :D and they were cooking them over an open fire near the beach skewered on a butcher knife and just pulling the meat off.  It looked like a good time, actually!  In all probability, a combination of circumstances is to blame for the poor fish population at Condie now but it's so small it should be easy to correct with a little stocking since the aerators are in place, provided they've been maintained.  The bass and trout experiment at Oyama proved, I think, that we need a warm water discharge for bass and the trout can't take pressure from jacks and pickerel.  All I caught there last time I went was stunted perch.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:35 PM »
 I made another post on Condie recently because I didn't see this one, sorry.
 I spent a lot of time in the past on both Condie and Oyama because they are close and east to fish and still don't know a lot. I don't know how one would go about researching a waterbody as in depth as I'd like to. Even the DNR can't answer my questions.
 From what me and a few friends who spent countless hours on Condie two summers ago have concluded, Condie has silted in so badly and so weed-choked that only the odd hammer-handle Pike can still navigate the lake and survive.  I made a depth finder with a 35, rope that's weighted and marked every foot. We could not find a spot that was deeper than 8' in the whole reservior. There was weeds completely throughout the lake by August and it was basically un-fishable. A real craphole!
 Rewind to 5 years prior and I caught decent Perch and tons of Pike, even some Walleye (check the other thread) so I don't know what caused such a change in such a short time. I was told as of last winter Condie officially winter-killed and most of the remaining tiny Pike are presumed dead or gone.
 Oyama is a lot deeper and still seems to have a fair Pike population and the odd Perch in the winter but that may be done soon as well. I was told by the C.O. out there that unless private or government funding can be sustained to keep it as a recreational area, it is planned to remove the dam and let the reservior drain back into the Wascana system. I hope this is not true but I wouldn't doubt it. This could actually be a great little fishing hole if it was managed and the public pressure could be kept down.
 I would suggest having catch and release restrictions put on both these reserviors should they recover in the future.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Heres what I know
 Condie officially did winterkill, lst spring my buddy caught a 38 inch pike.  Head tthe size a volleyball, and then basically gar- sure sign poor food.  The odd jumbo was still coming out last year, but this year, notta.  As for oyama, true, many of the perch were stunted, but first ice, 25 feet in the middle of the lake, proved to have 12 inch perch- this was 3 winters ago, went last winter notta.  I personally confirmed dnr winterkill.  As for pike, they are doing ok, not a great pop, but sustainable, they do have a limit of 10 perch however.  This in mind, as long as we dont get winterkills, 5 years, and keep up the pike, and the rumor which is true does not go through, we may have sweet fishing again
 B dog
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:23 AM »
It would be a shame to drain Oyama since there's quite a few people who go there just to get out of town for a couple of days in summer.  Without the lake the campground and golfcourse will be hard to sustain. :(
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:32 PM »
It would be a shame to drain Oyama since there's quite a few people who go there just to get out of town for a couple of days in summer.  Without the lake the campground and golfcourse will be hard to sustain. :(
The campground is currently the only thing keeping Oyama from that fate to my assumption. I don't know how long it's been since you've been there but the golf course was shutdown years ago. The land is now owned privately by a local farmer who lets all his cows nuts and frolick on the far northern lip of the reservior. ( guess he's not to big on environmental issues.)
 I will add that altough there are some good shore spots on this old golfcourse, be ready for a fight if the farmer happens to show up. Some friends were caught fishing on his land and a confrontation ensued that was very close to becoming physical. Apparently, although he's technically in the right if it's his land, he's got a pretty nasty demeanor and isn't very reasonable. Something to consider.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Nothing like an anoynomous tip to Sask Env or DFO to really get him in a good mood! Nothing irks me more than yahoos thinking that if its there land they have the rights to the water adj also.  With so much attention on water quality and down stream effects from agricultural inputs and outputs in the news, you think he would be a bit more friendly to the environment. Maybe he had a bad run in with some anglers one time, and that's why he's a bitter old fart! This happens lots to landowner's and hunters!!!!!!!!!

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:42 AM »
  . I don't know how long it's been since you've been there but the golf course was shutdown years ago. The land is now owned privately by a local farmer who lets all his cows nuts and frolick on the far northern lip of the reservior. 
[quote author=NoLimitSoldier link=topic=23195.msg324207#msg324207 date=1138591962
What a shame.... the bad part about going to Oyama used to be too many people, waterskiiers, and the park attendant giving me grief about fishing from the golfcourse side without paying.  Most farmers are nice enough until they find people driving through freshly planted fields or leaving gates open, then it's hard to bring them back.  Of course, there's the odd one who's shoes are just too tight but there's not much you can do about that.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.