Author Topic: Tell me about these inline reels, pros, cons??  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tell me about these inline reels, pros, cons??
« on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I am starting to seriously look into these reel. What good and bad about them? One I was looking at, eagle claw inline reel I can't find anywhere?? Who has em? Any other good companies? Thanks

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tell me about these inline reels, pros, cons??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:14 PM »
the main advantage to the in-line reels is that there is no line twist like with spinning reels. They won't have the anti reverse that spinning reels have so if you don't remember that you might get a birds nest in the line if you set the hook to hard on a big fish. You will probably have to use the "pencil style" grip when holding the rod, All the in-line reels are are mini fly reels and I think they will be great for finesse presentations
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:15 PM »
I not sure what to think seen one guy had tore it apart said alot of plastic and the drag is a joke i bought some cheap fly reel i use them in shallow water most times.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Check out the Okumas 2/3 or 4/5 size. Not designed for ice fishing, but work very well for it. They are not a geared reel though. If you want one with good line retrieval I would suggest the frabill version or the ice tech razor. The Eagle Claw version is sold out basically. From what I hear, there wasn't enough of them made. There are plenty of options out there, I would just get one and see how you like it and how it feels and go from there.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:36 PM »
from the ones Ive had the chance to play around with at cabelas the 30 dollar frabill one has had the best feeling drag of them all, I didn't really care for frabills expensive reel though.
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:37 PM »
I not sure what to think seen one guy had tore it apart said alot of plastic and the drag is a joke i bought some cheap fly reel i use them in shallow water most times.

I own both the eagle claw and the frabill straight line.... as far as the drag goes its better than my Okuma clutched salmon reels that are 100$ a piece! very sensitive and very adjustable drag on both! I personally wouldnt use anything but inlines. JMO
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:51 PM »
If you palm the Okuma and play the drag with your fingertips, there is no need for a drag. I've never used the drag on mine. It's all about the pressure you put on it it with the fingertips. If you prefer to use the drag, you end up having to adjust it every time you drop your jig down the hole. It is a waste of time, especially on a hot bite. The Okumas have a really good free spool feel on them also.

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 PM »
I have last seasons Frabil and love it.  The down sides are you have to manually strip line off to get the lure down, and 1 revolution of the handle equals 1 revoulution of the reel.  They arent geared like spinning or bait cast style reels.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:03 PM »
@Philly.....I was talking about my trolling reels (okuma)for downriggers on my salmon boat  :whistle:

the newer model of straight lines that everyone seems to be producing now have a gear box giving you higher ratios...like the eagle i believe is 5:6:1....I picked up a few and have them rigged and ready!!!!!! uggghhhh now we just need to get our temps out of the 60's
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Multiplier straight line reels are geared at 2:7:1 ( 6061 and EC) 2:4:1 for the Frabil

Offline AlgonaIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:25 PM »
If you do end up with a reel that is one for one retrieval definitely put some backing on, this way you have a bigger diameter spool. 
Harvesting Walleyes on the East Fork of the Des Moines River

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Algona is right, I rigged mine just like my fly rods. 

Offline AlgonaIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:58 PM »
I actually filled my spool up to about half of an inch or less with black tape anyone else done this? If so how did it work?
Harvesting Walleyes on the East Fork of the Des Moines River

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:17 AM »
They should make them large arbor. Like the fly reels. Then u would not have to worry about the backing.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:24 AM »
I have tried the Frabill in stores, very nice reel. However, I have an Okuma coming in the mail, hopefully it is as nice as the Frabill

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Does anyone got some links on readings or tutorials on the inline reels? Ive been thinking about looking into these type of reels.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:33 PM »
only inline i own is an icetech, spool is too shallow and if the line isnt kept tight it birdnests badly around the drag knob etc. its a pain to fish with light lines. the line wraps off the bottom of the reel and because the reel is so big it seems to catch on things like the dog making it even more frustrating. the eagle claw wraps the line on top closer to the handle, is deeper and more protected to the wind, i want one whenever they start producing again

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I just ordered the eagleclaw today. Had to buy the combo.  It was $45 the rod is prob not the best but.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I just ordered the eagleclaw today. Had to buy the combo.  It was $45 the rod is prob not the best but.
        Where did you find it?
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Fishmon

« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I purchased a Dave Genz version of the straight line setup online  from Dicks for $31 on sale.  Reel is OK and rod is el cheapo.  Put the reel spooled with 3# Pline on another UL rod that I had and it makes a nice pan fish set up.  I fish with Marmooskas and other light jigs and the straight line set up helps a lot to prevent line twist which causes jigs to spin and spook finicky biters.

In summary, I guess you get what you pay for.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Where did you find it?

Yeah, please tell us. Quietly. ;)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:54 PM »
I just bought a Martin 3/4 fly reel and love it so far. The guy i get most of my stuff from said he ordered a bunch of the eagle claws and just got a confirmation on them being shipped and had him put my name on one. We will see how it does.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:19 PM »
        Where did you find it?

eagle claw themselves  ;)

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I can see the new in-lines helping to prevent line twist, but beyond that, I don't see much value in them.  I can't help but shake the feeling that it's a scam by the reel companies to make us want to run out and buy the latest & greatest thing.  The reels I have now have served me well for years and I just can't justify spending the kind of money they want for these things.  I suspect this fad will pass just like Bell bottoms and leisure suits.
Then again, I've been wrong plenty of times before.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I think the reel companies are resopnding to the want for these, folks have been using fly reels for years now the companies realise the want for a product and are making and marketing them....

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Ordered two 13 fishing black betty ice reels from fish USA last weekend. Can't wait to try them out!  Hopefully I'll be able to critique them before March! ::)
:icefish:

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I use mine mainly for shallow fishing, less than 15 ft, with light jigs and line.  They definately have their place in my rod box, but not for every situation.  As for birdnesting, never had an issue.  I keep the drag a little tighter than my normal reels, and use my fingers to prevent issues when setting hook.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I had my ECs on the ice over the weekend and was pretty happy with them. Had them on the combo'd with the 13 Fishing Black Betty Rod and very happy for the most part. I was doing just pannies for the most part in 7-20 feet of water.

The free spool worked well. I was using a tungsten gill bill with 2 spikes and only had the "brake" slightly on and it seemed to bring go down well. I would usually give it a little flick to get going and would slow and stop with my palm. One time I did not have the spool totally engaged when I went for a hook set and missed a nice one, but it could have been worse. No birds nest so that was the main thing.

Reel felt nice in the hand. I could grip it normal or pistol without any issues to report.

Hooked into a 14" rainbow that gave the drag a bit of a work out. I didn't have it setup too well and ended up doing alot of it with my palm, but I was happy to be able to do either. Going to have to try to fiddle with the drag a little bit more since it'll be the be determining factor on these reels. Otherwise I have no complaints.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.