Author Topic: Cabelas Cast Iron Cookware.  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Cabelas Cast Iron Cookware.
« on: Dec 02, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Is it any good? The only experiences I've had with brands other than Lodge have been poor, I'm a little gunshy. Hot spots, warping, won't hold seasoning, ect.

Does anyone use it, what is your opinion?

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cabelas Cast Iron Cookware.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Skipper, go to a antique shop and look for Griswold or Wagner, might cost a bit more but well worth it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I will just stick with lodge then.... Last used pan I bought had a substance in the bottom that turned out to be lead. Someone must have been smelting wheel weights in it. I'm not going down that road again.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM »
Lead in the pan, I never thought of that. Will keep my eye out buying all the cast iron from yard sales. I don't like spending a bunch on the cast iron pots and pans. Some of the farm stores have cast iron cheaper than the lodge brand. I only use the cast iron over campfires. I use other pans for the stove in the house. I have been using the new heat dispersing pans that cook so even from one side to the other it makes a big difference. They also hold the heat so well when I go back for more the foods still hot.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Ice26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Hi
I would stay away from the China junk, it might have old car bumpers in it......
All I have and use is Lodge Logic made in the USA and is preseasoned which keeps all the smoke out of the kitchen.
Excellent cookware.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I never even thought to check county of origin.... yeah, it's from China. I will just stick with lodge.

I do most of my cooking in cast, at home and in camp. It is easy to clean and nothing sticks to it unless you are being a dope... I'm looking to buy a really big dutch oven.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2012, 10:50 PM »
I have quite a few lodge dutch ovens, I also have a couple made by camp chef that are cheaper and every bit as good as the lodge.  I also have some cheapies that are terrible.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Ebay you can pick up a Griswold easier and most of the time they are taken care of. My friends wife bought the cabelas brand it seems to work just fine. But comparing it to my set of Griswolds no comparison. If you want quality you have to go back in time when they took pride in producing castiron. Lodge has been doing a good job but its quality has never matched its father, the Grisworld castiron. 
No one left behind.     

Offline fishinchiro307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I've used the cabelas Dutch oven before no issue or complaints really heats evenly was preseasoned and for 75$ cheap

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:30 AM »
Farm sales always have the good old stuff like Griswold on the hay rack with all the other stuff..

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I use the lodge cast iron cookware also. Great product do not let them sit after cooking with them wash them when your done eating and dry with paper towels then oil pan lightly.
Rule of thumb everything made in china is JUNK.

smitty :tipup:

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Hit Craigslist, you can get some great finds on Cast iron there. I picked up a 15" lodge frying pan for $10, a little TLC and it looked brand new. Also found a deal where I got a Lodge 12" deep camping dutch oven, a 6 qt lodge dutch oven, a wagner round griddle pan, an 8" lodge skillet, 2 cast iron trivets, and a panini press...for $60...all well taken care of.

They practically give it away on craigslist.  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Online store for quality Cast Iron cookware:
http://www.panman.com/

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:14 AM »
I've been using the Lodge cookware for the last 10 years and love them. They came up as first choice on the Americain Test Kitchen, despite of the lower price. They are a great value! D

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I only have Wagner and Griswold pans, but in a bunch of sizes. Do the Lodge pans have a smooth machined cooking surface, or are they just sand cast?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Sand Cast....

I've had some of the old stuff, I didn't think it was wonderful enough to bother tracking down again. The ex wife made off with that stuff. Couple that with the lead experience, I'm not doing used pans again unless I trip over them for dirt cheap.

I bought another piece of Lodge from Mills Fleet Farm. It cooks evenly, nothing sticks to it, and I can't find a single casting problem. It's typical lodge.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:35 AM »
heres what gives me the heebies about 'used' cast iron.  As we all know, cast iron is very pourours(sp), hence the need to season it.  When heated, the pours open up, absorb a bit of what we are cooking, or seasoning with, and when cooled down, they 'trap' in those seasonings.  Boil some water in a cast iron pan and then pour it in a clear glass and see what you have.......Anyway, so lets say I cook up some good possum, or other un savory road kill,,,,maybe I dont clean the pan so well, or even, worse than that, I dont clean the pan, let whatever is in there fester for a while, then do a good enough job of cleaning it out to throw it on a table at a yard sale.....ugh.  I guess if one did find something for a real steal, the first thing to do would be to really heat the pan up to 'clean' it out, then to re-season it...but are you getting all the possum tail stew out of it?????  At least if I buy it new, take good care of it, I know what Im getting each time I cook in that pan......just a though.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Yeah.... the same arguments made against garage sale underwear can also be made against used cast.  ;D

Trooper Bri

« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:18 PM »
heres what gives me the heebies about 'used' cast iron.  As we all know, cast iron is very pourours(sp), hence the need to season it.  When heated, the pours open up, absorb a bit of what we are cooking, or seasoning with, and when cooled down, they 'trap' in those seasonings.  Boil some water in a cast iron pan and then pour it in a clear glass and see what you have.......Anyway, so lets say I cook up some good possum, or other un savory road kill,,,,maybe I dont clean the pan so well, or even, worse than that, I dont clean the pan, let whatever is in there fester for a while, then do a good enough job of cleaning it out to throw it on a table at a yard sale.....ugh.  I guess if one did find something for a real steal, the first thing to do would be to really heat the pan up to 'clean' it out, then to re-season it...but are you getting all the possum tail stew out of it?????  At least if I buy it new, take good care of it, I know what Im getting each time I cook in that pan......just a though.

Porous.
If you eat at any restaurant, bar, coffee shop, handle money, handle coins, use an ATM, use public restrooms or touch any adjoining surface, handrail, door handle, etc, etc, etc, you are getting much worse. At least the pan is hitting 300-400 degrees.
My grandfather is 83, and I'm pretty darn sure he's still using cast iron older than me (43). Ain't dead yet.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:57 PM »
I know it's irrational.... I'm just not willing to search the planet for a specific item if Lodge is right there.

7qt dutch oven with a flat bottom and a pail handle... btw

Offline Jer-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Of all the people I've seen use the Cabela's cast iron stuff, not once have I ever seen a problem.  Yes, I love Lodge, but if you don't want to search high and low for it, Cabelas is fine.  Just keep it clean and oiled after every use.  You'll have no problems.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:40 PM »
I've got a wall full of cast irons, it is pretty much all I cook with. When you bring home a used pan, it needs to go straight into the coals of a bonfire, and stay there until everything  cools enough to dig out by hand. What you have left is a bare iron. hit it with a wire wheel to remove any rough spots, then heat it again and season it with bacon grease.
Bacon grease has to be the best thing I have found for seasoning mine, and most are like teflon now- nothing sticks!
I have a dutch oven waiting for the fire now, a friend of mine tried to season it with corn oil. it is a sticky mess inside!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I just bought a Lodge cast iron 7 qt. dutch oven and a 12" fry pan off of Ebay. the dutch oven is 12" dia. and is 5" deep. the lid fits the fry pan.$65.00 for the dutch oven and $25.00 for the fry pan. both are new.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.