Author Topic: Skis VS. Conduit Runners  (Read 4427 times)

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
Skis VS. Conduit Runners
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:18 PM »
I'm planning on making a set of removable runners/skis for my Shappell FX100 and needed some opinions. I will only be using the runners when we have  enough snow on the ice to make pulling difficult without them. Do you guys think I would be better off using conduit bent into runners so that they cut through the snow or should I mount old skis on the conduit to hopefully keep it on top of the snow. I figured that if there's more than 6" or so of snow that the skis may just sink anyways. If anyone has tried both I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

I was thinking either this only a bit taller:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/brfixit/10-21-2012/DSC00870.jpg

Or this:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr67/mrszyski/2009-10-18038.jpg

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Skis VS. Conduit Runners
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 PM »
From my experiences it is a pain to get the legs to align while on the ice.  I tried something very similar to the one with skis and was a pain.  I ended up making a 'smitty' sled that works awesome.  The skis are the way to go...they float over even deep drifts.

]

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Very cool looking sled.Roughly how long are the skis?Does this type of sled really make pulling a loaded up Nanook type shelter easy given the loaded weight is in the neighborhood of 160 lbs.It's heart attack time trying to pull it on any snow any great distance now.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Yup. Smitty sleds are that good. I pull my Rover 1.5 with a lot of stuff, and its so much easier pulling, I can't tell you. I just put a pair of child skis on my Strikemaster Glide-Lite. We'll see how that works - I'm sure better than baseline.

Dave

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:41 PM »
I have put my pro and a buddies pro plus 2 gas augers on my smitty sled and pulled it thru 4" of level snow and upto 2' powder drifts with ease.  Those are kids skis that measure 62" and platform is 58"x30".  I have the platform sitting on 6" conduit legs...that I can swap out to longer if needed.  I was surprised how it floats on top of even powder drifts.
]

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:40 AM »
I use a system like photo 2, with ski's, on my yukon.  Works great.  No probs aligning them up, and it pulls really good. Ive never used conduit, so cant comment on that.  I also have a Jet Sled with water skis.  I guess Im just a ski guy.

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like I'm gonna go with the skis.

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Shappell makes a set of runners that bolt to the shanty and fold down when not needed.  I have had them for two years and really  like them.  Check out their website.
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Shappell makes a set of runners that bolt to the shanty and fold down when not needed.  I have had them for two years and really  like them.  Check out their website.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I can't find them on Shapell's site anywhere. Do you have a link or a photo?

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Very cool looking sled.Roughly how long are the skis?Does this type of sled really make pulling a loaded up Nanook type shelter easy given the loaded weight is in the neighborhood of 160 lbs.It's heart attack time trying to pull it on any snow any great distance now.
\

If you ever make yourself a Smitty you will be shocked how much easier it pulls. 160lbs will pull so easy you won't believe it.

Moonman.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:50 PM »
i used conduit once,,, was awesome on ice an snow but if you had any uncovered rock, shoreline or parkin lot it was brutal....
youngster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.