Author Topic: Bait tank capacity  (Read 861 times)

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait tank capacity
« on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Hey guys how's it goin
So trapping bait this year has been goin very good I've gotten about 250 golden shiners in the past week anywhere from 2 inches all the way up to six my tank is a 55 gallon drum with a waterfall filter made from a bucket and filter material and lava rock I'm just wondering what you guys think my total capacity is I'm thinking d making another tank anyways to seperate smaller bait from bigger bait I just don't wanna over fill it and have an issue but its hard to take the traps out when I'm getting a couple dozen baits every few hours out of four traps they stack up quick thanks in advance for any thoughts or info I know alot of guys have been doing this alot longer then me

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
Re: Bait tank capacity
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:31 PM »
you might be at capacity my friend
Chepi

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Ya I dumped in the last haul of them from this afternoon and thought it was lookin pretty full like I said tho when the traps are producing its hard to stop lol

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:58 PM »
You are more than full. It should hold about 50 of the 6"ers. The way you have it, expect some casualties over the next few days.

If you want to hold 250+, consider moving to about a 125-150 gallon tank.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:12 PM »
There is probably only two dozen that are close to that six inch mark most are two to four looks like ill be setting up another tank tmrw then I guess it's a good thing I wanted to seperate smalls and larges anyways

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM »
If your trapping spot produces faster than you use the bait, then I'd stop trapping now and keep the tank healthy.  Once you start depleting the bait, you can restart your trapping. 

Alternatively, you could trap selectively keeping only the sizes/species that have been depleted, returning the sizes that are plentiful in the tank.

If you overload your tank, you could have a massive die off and you'll waste a lot of time and effort cleaning out the dead and trying to get the water quality back to healthy.  Then you'd be playing catch up to restock the ones that died.

Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Ya that's what I figured I just talked to my buddy who I trap with and he had asked how many I got today and told home none because I'm not checking the traps till I get the other tank goin which should be tmrw

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.