Author Topic: My first ice 2012-13  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
My first ice 2012-13
« on: Nov 24, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Had to get an ice fix this weekend, so I tried a spot up in the high country that always holds early ice.  Grabbed some coffee on the way, and was greeted with an awesome Colorado sunrise.

On the pond around 6:30am, and found 4+ inches of good ice.  Started jigging in 7 fow with small tungsten and waxies, and the action was on.

Steady action until 12:00pm produced over 30 brookies and rainbows -- lost count after 20.  Nothing huge, but great fun.  All returned to grow bigger.  Bite was aggressive, pulling them off the bottom. 

On a side note, two guys showed up around 10:00am and started fishing my old holes.  After watching me pull up fish after fish, one of the guys asked me what I was using.   I showed him my setup, then the dude had the b---s to ask me if he could use my auger.  I said NO.  Crossed the line there.   >:(

Overall, it was a great first outing of 2012-13 -- great to get the hands wet and used to the cold again.  Here's to a great season, wherever you are!   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My first ice 2012-13
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Sounds like fun.  I might hit the ice tomorrow.  I had a problem with new blades last year on the ice and some other guys drilled a few holes for me.  Good karma, nice guys.  I've drilled a few for folks who had a crappy hand auger before. I'm not sure what line there is to cross with asking a fellow outdoorsman for a favor.  Good luck.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Sounds like fun.  I might hit the ice tomorrow.  I had a problem with new blades last year on the ice and some other guys drilled a few holes for me.  Good karma, nice guys.  I've drilled a few for folks who had a crappy hand auger before. I'm not sure what line there is to cross with asking a fellow outdoorsman for a favor.  Good luck.
Well, that's a good question and would probably make for a good discussion.  That's partially why I brought it up.  Where would each of us draw the line?

For me, I turned a blind eye when the guy came and started fishin my hole after I got up to go to my sled 20 feet away.  Guess that meant it was up for grabs! I was happy to lend some help when he wanted to know what I was using.  Even though I guessed he would be keeping everything he Jigged up, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and was happy to help.  But then when he didn't catch anything out of my hole, and he asked to use my auger -- for me I had to say sorry.  I had some trouble before with a friend ruining my blades, so I had to decline. 

Again, no problem helping fellow fishermen -- but I think we all draw the line somewhere.  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Haha- Good job, B-man.  Coulda offered to run the auger up their  ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Sounds like you got your fix. Some nice fish and great weather.

Too many different situations for being a hole driller for someone. Woulda probably said no too. Hear of this happening more and more often... Rude people that is. So a judgment call on drilling for folks. Rushing over to take your hole, then asking for use of your equipment - woulda done the same as you did.

"B"

Offline bprohs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Thanks, for the update and great pictures.  This is my first year to go ice fishing in over 40 years, and I can't wait!!!  Got all my gear and am putting together a sled for all of my goodies so all I need now is some ice.  It's been too warm on this side of the Continental Divide (Estes Park) so we'll just have to wait for Grand Lake to freeze up.

My first inclination about your ice auger was why not loan it to the guy, but after what you said about him invading your space, I would have done the same thing.  People now days have this entitlement thing going.  After all, it's your auger and you have every right not to want somebody you don't even know to possibly screw it up for you.

Just my opinion ;)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:33 AM »
bprohs welcome to the shanty and the addiction it is.

Offline crazycrawler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike17.0 Steely9.8 Bass6.9 Brood8.0 Crappie17.5
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Nice to see you getting on the ice so early man  :tipup: and having good action  :clap:

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Enjoyed the report and pics, thanks, got my blood churning and a yearning to get out on the ice.

I'll help out anyone on the ice, offered many times, just don't invade my space or assume I will, cause then I won't! Its my gear, my rules.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Bprohs, thanks -- glad ur getting back into the craziness of ice fishin and welcome to the Shanty!

Jeff, thanks -- any sign of ice yet in MA?  Prob a few weeks off yet.

Everyone else -- yeah, sounds like most people would've done the same.  I'd have been happy to drill some holes for him, but his poor English made it unclear what he wanted and if he understood me when wanted to "have" my auger.  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Nice job bigassbassman  :clap: :clap: I would have done the same after the invasion of space. If they would have asked 1st about using the holes maybe things would have been different
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:04 AM »
I'm jealous of the ice and hot action. WTG! :tipup:

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Very jealous some of you have already used your ice rods. The season hasn't quite opened up here but it shouldn't be long now!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 AM »
hey dude. nice job gettin out and finding first ice. ok im jealous. im usually still in tog mode now but your report got me chompin at the bit. looks like i might try heading north 12/8 for my first trip. keep the reports comin my friend and maybe we will meet up again. how do you feel about me comin out to join ya for first ice next yr?

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Nice fish man, I'm jealous. I probaly would have offered to drill two holes for him if it were me, I wouldn't have liked him jumping in my hole if I wasn't done though. If someone were to take my hole I'm not done using because they didn't have an auger I would tell them that was rude and offer to drill one for them.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:50 AM »
hey dude. nice job gettin out and finding first ice. ok im jealous. im usually still in tog mode now but your report got me chompin at the bit. looks like i might try heading north 12/8 for my first trip. keep the reports comin my friend and maybe we will meet up again. how do you feel about me comin out to join ya for first ice next yr?

You're welcome to visit any time, Kev!  Here's to a good season and I hope it kicks off well on the 8th for ya!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Grand County Resident

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Call me Dawson
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:56 PM »
BMan,

Can I come with you next time?  Ill bring a thermos of coffee, you supply the rest?

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Good stuff man. Where the is winter?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.