Author Topic: How many people have participated in a fishing swap or ....  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
Have hooked up someone that they did not know with a good area?.

I used to host hunts on my property for Canadians that didnt have the opportunities that I enjoyed in the states. I met many many good people this way. Never gave it a second thought as to how it might effect my successes since they were not residents and couldn't hunt more than a week (or less) each year.

I started to think about this today in regard to ice fishing. Doing a lot of research online brings alot of fishing sites where the questions of "where too"  crop up. Almost never do you see someone actually hooking someone up with good spots or information. Generalities rule the day   ::)

So I am wondering if anyone here has ever done a day on the ice with a forum member who they have never met. Maybe someone that really needed the hand. Whats your thoughts on this?.

This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
Re: How many people have participated in a fishing swap or ....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:07 PM »
of course! ive fished with alot of guys i met on here who i didnt now. they all turned out be class acts and i had no problem takin them to the hotspot! but they must swear to secrecy. but if you put up a name of a lake and a big fish pic,you will have 100 guys there fishin within 3 days. i like to fish some smaller lakes and if 20 people fished it hard for aweek or 2 it would put a huge dent in the fish population.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:14 PM »
it can be hard to try and fish with others in SD , most guys are so tight lipped that if their noses plugged up they would suffocate ,  myself  heck yea always looking for new folks to fish with

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:19 PM »
it can be hard to try and fish with others in SD , most guys are so tight lipped that if their noses plugged up they would suffocate ,  myself  heck yea always looking for new folks to fish with
Probably because they don't like fishing in crowds.  :o ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Actually here about 2 weeks were having one in Western WI. We had thought about a whole state one which might happen still but I threw up the idea of the Western WI get together and boom we probably have 10-15 members from here going.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:43 PM »
.....but if you put up a name of a lake and a big fish pic,you will have 100 guys there fishin within 3 days. i like to fish some smaller lakes and if 20 people fished it hard for aweek or 2 it would put a huge dent in the fish population.

I know thats right!  ;D
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Actually here about 2 weeks were having one in Western WI. We had thought about a whole state one which might happen still but I threw up the idea of the Western WI get together and boom we probably have 10-15 members from here going.

NICE!  :bow:
This is why I left NY

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2012, 03:33 PM »
I've been to group outings in the past and have helped set up/run several of them.  Theres one forming in the Michigan forum now by a member who has set them up in the past.  One of the best things I ever attended was 11 years ago but it wasn't fishing, it was grouse hunting.  It started off with 4 complete strangers with their dogs hunting for the weekend.  It grew over the years and morphed into the final one many years later consisting of 26 hunters and 52 dogs.  Some very good times, whether ice fishing or bird hunting.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I have fished with many people from this site, and most of the time it has gone well. There is one person that sticks out that seemed to be just looking for some hot spots. Lets just say he didnt get any.  ;)

I would be more than willing to take almost anyone out to a local spot, as long as it wasn't too small.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I fish with many guys every season on ice or in the boat I meet through different sites, some have become great friends... I also have done an out west elk hunt that came about from an offer in a chatroom, 10 of us went that year from all across the US with only a couple haveing met before hand in person and we had a blast and still friends with all of them....

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Met a guy on IS five years ago and took him fishing...... we've been fast friends ever since!  It's not too easy to find fishing partners down here on Long Island (not too many of us).  Here's an open invitation to all you "lurkers" out there, even if you've never ice fished before......you can fish with us ANYTIME !!!  We have enough gear to accomodate a bunch of guys at the same time, so don't worry about equipment....just come along and enjoy the fishing !!!   IM me when you are ready to fish !!

IceBalls

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Met a guy on IS five years ago and took him fishing...... we've been fast friends ever since!  It's not too easy to find fishing partners down here on Long Island (not too many of us).  Here's an open invitation to all you "lurkers" out there, even if you've never ice fished before......you can fish with us ANYTIME !!!  We have enough gear to accomodate a bunch of guys at the same time, so don't worry about equipment....just come along and enjoy the fishing !!!   IM me when you are ready to fish !!

IceBalls

Good deal  :)
This is why I left NY

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:41 PM »
I went once last year with a member on here.  Also have plans to go with several other members this year, along with a get together in a few weeks.  I welcome the chance to meet new people who share the passion. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Have before and will again. I don't sweat sharing spots, I figure out a place and then move on...

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I would swap a ice fishing trip,if anyone would be interested.Here is my swap pitch.....WV ice fishing fanatic is willing to swap a week long ice fishing trip for an equal time trip.All meals will be supplied ( WV has some of the best road kill selections in the states)All equipment must be self supplied (We have no stores that carry ice fishing supplies)Our ice typically averages 3-4" for a week to week and a half,we recommend you bring your soft water gear ( there is a 50/50 chance there will be no fishable ice)We are known for the land of many ponds,so finding good water to fish is not a problem .We suggest you bring a good pair of tennis shoes,(the majority of our good Icefishing will be on private land)please do not show up in poor physical shape,you can expect most private pond owners to shoot first and ask later.I will strive to make your trip as memorable as I possibly can(I promise if you survive you will have an amazing story to tell all you friends and family)

PS,I look forward hearing from you,I can be reached at  555-if I ain't fishing,I'm in jail.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I like sharing info and for the most part will share spots and some pretty detailed techniques.

Problem is this..... when I used to work at the tackle store I'd share info, good solid info. Of ten folks I told maybe only a couple would be interested enough to really listen; of those two one would not have it all and either be off the spot or miss a critical detail of presentation. The last might get is all down to a "T", but by the time they get there, the pattern has changed.

Not too much danger in giving an "Average Joe" all the goods, I came to believe. Yup, there were a couple of times the one party hit it on the head. They were impressed and thankful.........

The lesson here is this: if someone is willing to give up the goods, listen carefully and do your very best to get on the spot AND duplicate their successful presentation.

If I had time to travel more I could have some "swapportunities" to offer and relish the adventures, but right now my time is at a real premium.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2012, 09:30 PM »
i have met alot of guys on here and took them to some of the spots i fish and have had good and bad experiance   i have gone to a spot that isnt that big only to find that they told a bunch of thier friends of the spot   they had (Junk) fish on the ice beer cans and tried to give me a hard time  another person backed out at the last minute to fish with me only to go with his friend to a spot i go(boy he was surprised when i showed up lol    so i have no problem helping people out but i have became pickier
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I just started a thread in the Iowa forum and I will extend that offer to anyone on the shanty board if they happen to find themselves in central Iowa. I just wish we could get more involved in our great sport. The more involved means more and better products and information for all of us. Keep our sport alive people.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:17 AM »
Thats a Great Deal!  ;D

I would swap a ice fishing trip,if anyone would be interested.Here is my swap pitch.....WV ice fishing fanatic is willing to swap a week long ice fishing trip for an equal time trip.All meals will be supplied ( WV has some of the best road kill selections in the states)All equipment must be self supplied (We have no stores that carry ice fishing supplies)Our ice typically averages 3-4" for a week to week and a half,we recommend you bring your soft water gear ( there is a 50/50 chance there will be no fishable ice)We are known for the land of many ponds,so finding good water to fish is not a problem .We suggest you bring a good pair of tennis shoes,(the majority of our good Icefishing will be on private land)please do not show up in poor physical shape,you can expect most private pond owners to shoot first and ask later.I will strive to make your trip as memorable as I possibly can(I promise if you survive you will have an amazing story to tell all you friends and family)

PS,I look forward hearing from you,I can be reached at  555-if I ain't fishing,I'm in jail.

This is why I left NY

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I just wish we could get more involved in our great sport. The more involved means more and better products and information for all of us. Keep our sport alive people.

I couldn't agree more.
I think the best way to get that going is to have too much stuff. If you have enough stuff for two people then you can always offer to take anyone you know.
My Team Robinson partner had never ice fished till 3 years ago. Christmas day I took her on a small pond near Albany NY where she limited on Pike. Not small pike either  :)
I was maybe 100 yards from her when the first flag went off and I couldn't have gotten to her anywhere near in time, so it was up to her.

Couldn't have worked out any better and I can still hear the screams she was belting out across that pond as she pulled that huge fish out of that little hole  ;D
She is hooked for life!.

Same thing happens to most folks the first time they see that fish in that hole. You just have to get them in that position.

I focus on first impressions when introducing anyone (kid or adult) to ice fishing. I make sure they have waterproof footwear and reasonable clothes before we go out. I provide heat before we start drilling and if I notice that they look cold I ask them to do some chore that requires them to be near the heater.... even if I dont need it done.
I supply plenty of snacks and hot food too. I dont take them out in a storm. I let them get every trap unless there is a double. I teach them everything they need to know and mention how inexpensive it is to get started.

I really like to see new people out on the ice. It's the only thing better than catching fish  :)
This is why I left NY

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2012, 04:05 PM »
on the wyoming page we have a invite page. we also do a state wide greet and meet on a centralized lake, never gone myself but it sound fun.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Used to til I found my many spots ether fished out or everybody and there brother was there .
Hard Ice

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I dont take new guys to my hot spots untill Iknow and trust them, new guys get put on the community spots untill proven trustworthy...

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:45 AM »
on the wyoming page we have a invite page. we also do a state wide greet and meet on a centralized lake, never gone myself but it sound fun.

Sounds like a good time and is a great idea IMO  :)
This is why I left NY

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:48 AM »
I dont take new guys to my hot spots untill Iknow and trust them, new guys get put on the community spots untill proven trustworthy...

Out of state folks get right into my hot spots because I dont have to worry about them doing this and I want to catch fish any time I go out.... So I wont sacrifice a day fishing a dead zone just to get acquainted.
This is why I left NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.