Author Topic: Boneless Pickerel backstraps  (Read 1706 times)

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boneless Pickerel backstraps
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Try this, you won't be sorry. Lay the pickerel on it's stomach and make a cut just behind the head down to the backbone, then turn the knife and slide it back along the top of the backbone all the way to the dorsal fin. Then cut up to remove the backstrap that will be about 1" wide, 1"thick, and about 10"-14" long. I usually rip the skin off but it's not bad with the skin either. I then cut this strip up into half a dozen 2" chunks, perfect for breading and deep frying. There are no bones above the spine and no scales on the skin. This has become our favorite tasting fish fry.   I like that this gives the kids something to target that keeps them usually very busy, they love to contribute to the days fish fry, and also feed the eagles with the boney part of the pickerel.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boneless Pickerel backstraps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2012, 06:54 AM »
            I give the pickerals to the eagles too.  I will try the backstraps they sound very good.
            I usually grind them up & make fish cakes nice tasting ... :tipup:
images.jpeg

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I love pickerel and focused on them back home in Maine. This sounds real good but honestly, I cant chuck the rest and feel good about it.
I used to put them in a pressure cooker and cook them under pressure for 5 minutes. The bones dissolved and were not an issue. Kinda like canned salmon as far as the bones go.
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 PM »
There is a line of cartilage down the back strap that you need to remove similar to zipping the lateral line on a walleye.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:12 AM »
i pickle them. it dissolves the bones completely and they taste great!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 PM »
There is a line of cartilage down the back strap that you need to remove similar to zipping the lateral line on a walleye.
.     Huh? I haven't noticed anything but clean slightly golden colored meat.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:57 PM »
.     Huh? I haven't noticed anything but clean slightly golden colored meat.

Here you go http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KM3wAgBmeNU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKM3wAgBmeNU
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:21 PM »
Just learn to debone them. Plenty of videos on Youtube about how its done. Then you can keep the whole fish. I would post a link, but I ain't that computer savvy.
Still counting.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.