Author Topic: Big Buddy Heater  (Read 3782 times)

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Buddy Heater
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I noticed that starting tomorrow the Big Buddy 18,000btu heater from Mr. Heater is going on sale at Canadian Tire.  It's a bit pricier there than anywhere else at $178.99.

It's going on for 25% off, for a price of $134.24

The sale price makes it at about the cheapest i've seen around.

Cheers all!

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:04 PM »
I think I found a place to spend a $50 dollar gift card tomorrow...

If anyone is looking for a Little Buddy or a Tank-Top heater, let me know, both are available and posted on Used Regina.

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Stupid question.. What are you using for a shelter with the big buddy. I can't find the ad in the CT flyer, but I'll take your word for it.

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Stupid question.. What are you using for a shelter with the big buddy. I can't find the ad in the CT flyer, but I'll take your word for it.

I use the 6 man pop up clam command post with the big buddy. It always keeps it warm on those cold winter days!

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I use the 6 man pop up clam command post with the big buddy. It always keeps it warm on those cold winter days!

Awesome thanks. I just bought a Eskimo fat fish and wanted to make sure that the heater would be enough.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Yeah those big buddy heaters throw a lot of heat. If you are going to be using them a good part of a day buy the hose to connect to a 10 or 20 lb tank though. Well worth the money, goes through 1 lb tanks too fast.

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Yeah those big buddy heaters throw a lot of heat. If you are going to be using them a good part of a day buy the hose to connect to a 10 or 20 lb tank though. Well worth the money, goes through 1 lb tanks too fast.

Agree 100%

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:44 AM »

Yeah I had the 20lb tank hose from the last heater I had. Thanks for the help guys!

Offline Shirts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Bought one of the Big Buddy heaters at C.T. yesterday. Put up my spare popup in the back yard and hooked it up to one of my 20lb tanks. I can't believe how much heat it throw... And quiet to boot! I'm going to buy some 6V lantern batteries to power the fan though. Found a jack that fits the optional A.C. adaptor, so I figure I'll rig something up for a quick disconnect. That way I'm not hammering through D cell batteries. Best part? The 6V battery fits in one of the side compartments that houses the 1lb bottles. :)

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2012, 01:42 PM »
i have had a big buddy for 3 years still on the first set of batteries. I dont use the fan in my eskimo it melts the ice at your feet, but awesome heat without the fan on to. 

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Where in Regina are people buying a 5 or 10 lbs tank and the hose for the Big Buddy heaters?

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Where in Regina are people buying a 5 or 10 lbs tank and the hose for the Big Buddy heaters?

I'm not sure about the smaller tanks but I bought the hose from peavy mart

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Wallmart or Canadian Tire but they are a seasonal thing and may not have them out in winter. I use my small tank camping on a table top BQ and winter on my big buddy. Small tanks cost more than a big tank but for the portability it is worth it..

Offline Gmoney21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:02 PM »
I have had a big buddy in my clam 4 man pop up. Very rarely does it come off low and I took out the batteries cause I never use the fan. I picked up a 10 lb tank and hose from coop hardware near mt pleasant. I highly recommend using a mr heater filter as it solved a lot of my initial flow issues.(heater cuts out or flickers). If you get a filter you can use any hose, green or black, without issue. If you get a 10 or 20 lb tank the heater seems to use less fuel and you do t have any freeze up issues using 1 lb bottles on high.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Watch the sales at princess auto, I picked up a big buddy for $99

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I bought my 5lb propane tank from Canadian tire but your going to crap when you see how much they are worth. Since then I have purchased a refill adapter for the 1lb bottles

Offline teamwild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I got the big buddy heater for my 3 man teamwild shack and I turn it on high for the first 5 mins then it stays on low for he rest of the day, even on the -25 days. I also bought an overhead clam fan with the lights in it and I pushes the hot air back down and keeps it movin around. Defiantly worth the 180 bucks. Before I had a double sunflower heater and wore it out. This yr I will be hookin mine up to a 20 pound tank. Those 1 lbs tanks only last a few hours

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I bought my 5lb propane tank from Canadian tire but your going to $hi# when you see how much they are worth. Since then I have purchased a refill adapter for the 1lb bottles

I know right!! I was like **censored** why is a 5 or 10lb bottle twice the amount of a 30lb bottle, doesn't make sense. I have an old Primus Duo-Flow heater and I can store 3 1lb bottles in the back of it and I never burn more than a bottle in a day in my pop up. Try and catch them on sale at Peavey Mart or CT when I can.

Offline Bobinski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:24 AM »
hey team, exactly how important is the mr. buddy filter? i bought a 12' hose from peavy mart but couldn't find any sort of filter.. has anyone just ran their heater directly off a 20lb tank without problems? or should i get back there and keep looking for that filter?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:14 AM »
i ran w/out filter for a couple years on a 10lber.  only possible issue was the heater was a bit noisy on the low setting.  i got the filter ordered in at the old p.a. coop, but i saw them at cabelas last time i was there.  cheap insurance i'd say.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 AM »
hey team, exactly how important is the mr. buddy filter? i bought a 12' hose from peavy mart but couldn't find any sort of filter.. has anyone just ran their heater directly off a 20lb tank without problems? or should i get back there and keep looking for that filter?

The filter is actually quite important if you have a black hose, the green hose does not require it. The black hoses tend to crack up on the inside sending little bits of rubber into your heater which can gum it up, cause flare ups and smell bad. The green hose for whatever reason does not have this problem.

Princess auto will usually have the filters instock.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM »
layne's right.  i forgot about the green hoses.  guess i got lucky running my heater off of a black hose.

Offline Gmoney21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 AM »
The filter also acts as a bit of a regulator to smooth out the flow, my heater likes it a lot more.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:50 AM »
peavy mart also carries buddy heater supplies thats where I got my filter

Offline TheFrenchCanadian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:03 PM »
The filter is actually quite important if you have a black hose, the green hose does not require it. The black hoses tend to crack up on the inside sending little bits of rubber into your heater which can gum it up, cause flare ups and smell bad. The green hose for whatever reason does not have this problem.

Princess auto will usually have the filters instock.

+1 on that!

$10 at Princess Auto, but they don't always have stock...

TFC
There's never enough money to do it right, but there's always enough to do it over!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.