The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: titanium spring bobbers  (Read 3238 times)

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
titanium spring bobbers
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:13 PM »
anyone try those titanium spring bobbers?they look nice.cabelas have them for 11.99.pricey bud supose to be best out there.

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: titanium spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:34 PM »
they are 2 dollars cheaper at least they were from reeds on the internet but of course you may have to factor shipping charges too  just a thought .
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:37 PM »
I have one on my Thorne Brothers Tripwire, great springbobber...

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:07 AM »
i think im going to order one.seems to be the sweetest one on the market.thanks guys.

Offline NCWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Hey Chez found ya.  Ran into you up at Gander MT a few weeks ago.   

-Nolan

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:16 AM »
anyone try those titanium spring bobbers?they look nice.cabelas have them for 11.99.pricey bud supose to be best out there.

I looked at them ----  I couldnt make myself  pay 11 bucks for a bobber ---- unless  I  see someone else using them and they work like magic !

I bet they are a lot like titanium jigs.  They  work just fine, but school's still out  on wheter they are worth the extra  money.

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:30 AM »
I just bought one the other day.  It seems pretty good...one issue I had was that it took a bit of effort to mount it the rod.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Hey Chez found ya.  Ran into you up at Gander MT a few weeks ago.   

-Nolan
YO NCWALLEYE.    i sent you a pm. give me a shout.good to hear from you. this is a great site.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Welcome to the site NCWalleye.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:20 PM »
I like them when fishing outside the shack. They don't freeze up on ya like the actual springs do.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:21 PM »
NC Walleye, welcome to the Shanty, the best ice fishing site on the web.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I looked at them ----  I couldnt make myself  pay 11 bucks for a bobber ---- unless  I  see someone else using them and they work like magic !

I bet they are a lot like titanium jigs.  They  work just fine, but school's still out  on wheter they are worth the extra  money.

No question about the worth of tungnsten jigs, well worth it...

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:55 PM »
im goin to try em out. i love spring bobbers.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 05:33 AM »
No question about the worth of tungnsten jigs, well worth it...

Titanium "stuff" is another  tool for the toolbox.  If you have a spring bobber that is sensitive and strong, and maybe  it doesnt freeze up so much  then it woud be worth considering, thats for sure !

As far as the jigs go ---  I  think it is the same idea.   I have some.   They work alright.    I  havent  jumped on the  titanium bandwagon  just yet and its mostly because  the lakes I fish are shallow.   I probably spend most of my time fishing   in 6'-15' of water.    So I can make a lead jig for  pennies, drop it through the  hole, and have it  in the zone in a matter of seconds.     I could do the same thing with tungsten,  but  then I am looking at $2.00   a piece instead of   .20

But I dont have a problem  with  tungsten jigs -- they  work  just as good as  any other.  If I were fishing deeper water I would probably use more of them.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:22 AM »
I fished the past few days with the Thorne Bros trip wire (I make my own rods, so I added it my self).  It is hands down the best bobber I ever used.  Agreed a lot to spend on one but if it lasts as I expect it will it will be money well spent.  I am going to add  a couple Titan ones from EBAY to a couple more rods.  Hope they work as well.  They will get tied on also, I really like that over the clip on.
Shane

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:15 PM »
I have a St. Croix Legend ice rod with their strike indicator system. It's sensitive but I find it difficult to adjust the sensitivity. The coiled portion does not easily slide through the rubber grommet. I bought a Frabill titanium spring bobber this year but... >:( >:(...haven't tried it yet due to lack of ice.  Ice Beard, I didn't have the problem you described mounting the Frabill. Mine had a slit on the bottom of the rubber sleeve. I separated it a little and "snapped" it on the rod. It was tight and the wire was easy to slide to adjust sensitivity, I think I'm going to like it but playing with it in the garage is not much of a test.  ;D

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Find a old large Bic lighter  take out the spring   They work great   Very light bite are seen ...that works for me
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:40 PM »
http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/82/page/1/id/2820/name/StringeaseTitaniumStrikeIndicator
These are the only spring bobbers that I use anymore. I have a couple rods that I attached them to permanently with thread and rod epoxy. Most of the time I don't use spring bobbers though.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Irishslab put a small amount of vaseline on the spring and it slides easy, still a 2 hand operation though.  I like it cause you can adjust the spring to the weight of the lure

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Thanks, Gills. It worked ! :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:02 PM »
I got one this season.  Check your rods before you order one.  They will only work as intended on UL or L graphite rods.  If you have a thicker glass or heavy graphite rod that you plan on using it on, you'll need to find an alternative to attach it.   The rubber grommet/snap device doesn't fit well on thicker rods.  Other than that, it's really nice. 

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:30 PM »
After two weeks of jigging with it they have my approval. I will buy a few more even at 12 bucks a pop

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I fished the past few days with the Thorne Bros trip wire (I make my own rods, so I added it my self).  It is hands down the best bobber I ever used.  Agreed a lot to spend on one but if it lasts as I expect it will it will be money well spent.  I am going to add  a couple Titan ones from EBAY to a couple more rods.  Hope they work as well.  They will get tied on also, I really like that over the clip on.

Mags, let me know what you think of them.......I have a bunch of them on the rods that I build.....Personally I like when the customer sets the rods up inside to see the action, and then takes it out in the cold......you'll have to try it...

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Went to Cabelas yesterday, opened a package and put one on a rod. I didn't put on a jig, one thing I noticed was  no matter how hard I tried to keep it still, it kept "bouncing around. Couldn't keep it still.I figured with the ccold, wind and a thermos of coffee it would be to sensitive.Wish I would of tied on a jig.Have 3 St Croix legends and like there bobber system better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.