The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: anyone got any info on a propane auger??  (Read 573 times)

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
anyone got any info on a propane auger??
« on: Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Is Jiffy the only one that makes em?? I read a year old report that stated the below but was from last year/2011... Not sure if any upgrades

Pros... No smell/gas/mix/fumes

Cons.... Heavy/slow cutting

anyone have an input?? hate to spend 500 bucks and regret it

Offline Rebel9921

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: anyone got any info on a propane auger??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Yes... Jiffy Pro 4...  Jiffy did also come out with 4-Stroke...

My brother has a Pro 4 10"...  When compared to my Strikemaster Pro Lazer 8"... the Pro 4 is far more heavier...  the weight difference is very obvious...

As for smell, I wouldnt exactly say NO smell... You can smell the propane exhaust... but it goes away quickly...

Has plenty of power and torque...

By all the means, go for Pro 4 unless you do lot of run n gun or moving around, then may I suggest that you look into Strikemaster's new 4-stroke Auger...

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I got the Jiffy Pro 4 last year, it is a tad heavy but it cuts great! I don't know why someone would say that they cut slow. I have a four wheeler I take out ice fishing so the weight hasn't been an issue for me.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I purchased one last season.  It is the same weight as my old model 30.  It starts right up, runs quieter, and cuts like a dream.  You get a lot of holes out of one of the 1lb cylanders.  No more dealing with a gas can, mixing gas and horrible exhaust fumes.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:46 PM »
As far as I know Jiify is the only manufacturer of a propane auger.

To the list of "Pros" I would also add... starts 1-2 pulls every single time...no choke no prime.

With sharp blades it is not slow cutting, however, I've seen conditions where the two center chipper blades get "packed" with a slush/snow mixture and must be cleaned out or you'll get nowhere. There are probably faster cutting augers out there if you're planning on racing. :-\

They are heavy which is definitely a "Con". I don't carry this thing hole to hole, I put it in a sled and pull it. I expect they will be shedding a few pounds in the next couple of models.

Overall I'm happy with my Pro 4-10 except for the weight issue. I still believe they are just too "young" to give it a proper review. This season will be the 3rd year for this kind of technology. Propane motors run clean and with proper maintenance/storage should last many, many years. Time will tell how the other components ( regulator, gears ) hold up after hundreds of hours of use.

Hope this helps.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Thanks all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.