Author Topic: looking for venison sauge recipe  (Read 1478 times)

FRESHBAIT

looking for venison sauge recipe
« on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I've got a bunch of venison vacuum sealed and frozen out in the beer fridge in the garage from this years deer. I'm looking to do something new this year on top of my usual deer jerky, roasts, steaks.  does anyone have any good sausage recipes that they'd be willing to share.  Breakfast sausge, italian sausage, etc.   

thanks

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: looking for venison sauge recipe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:01 AM »
Here is a recipie I use that came over from Italy with my Great Grandparents. Simple but Yum Yum

18# of meat [1/2 venison and 1/2 pork butts, Straight venison is too dry]
1 cup whole fennel seed
3/4 cup paprika
1/2 cup of salt
1/3 cup crushed red pepper [use 1/4 cup if you like it mild]

Traditionally, the meat is only ground 1 time through a 3/8" die. Grind it twice if you like a finer texture.
Adding a pint of ice water will help with the mixing and stuffing.

Enjoy!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 AM »
when ever your making sausage or kielbosi with venison its best to use lots of pork,I mix it 2/3 pork and 1/3 venison anymore, when I would mix it 1/2 and 1/2 it was to dry for my liking,I know it sounds like a lot of pork but if you want it not to be dry thats what it takes,use pork butts and buy the ones with the most fat because thats what you need.I also make a small pattie out of what ever Im making and fry it up to see how it taste before stuffing it in the casings this way you can adjust the seasonings if you need to,it can get exspensive if your making lots,I watch for sales and if you have a meat processing plant near you there cheaper than the market. good luck

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:12 AM »
I am going to try this out.  Can't go wrong with grandmas Italian recipe.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I remember years ago my Grandfather hung it in a cool room in the cellar. The freezer was full of garden stuff so the sausage was hung and dried similar to pepperoni. Usually over 200lbs of it. I don't have a cellar so I've tried the dehydrator. Not the same, but still good. Fresh or dried great.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 AM »
.I also make a small pattie out of what ever Im making and fry it up to see how it taste before stuffing it in the casings

The BEST part of making sausage ;D.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Thaks for the recipes guys.  I'm gonna try em and see how they are.   I'm picking up my meat grinder w/ sausage attachment later tonight. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:03 PM »
You guys are making me hungry!!!! Where's my cheese and crackers??!!  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.