Author Topic: Striker regular or lite?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Striker regular or lite?
« on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:53 PM »
I've got my mind set on the Striker brand. As until recently I've had my mind set on the lite. I fish out of a flipover the majority of the time but like to hole hop too. I know I can get away with the lite and layer up but I'd rather not have to layer up so I could be more flexible. I don't want to be stiff from all the layers. So should I get the regular? Do those of you that have the lite layer up much on say a zero degree day and wish you had the regular? And those with the regular over heat in a flip over and wish you had the lite at times?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Striker regular or lite?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I've got my mind set on the Striker brand. As until recently I've had my mind set on the lite. I fish out of a flipover the majority of the time but like to hole hop too. I know I can get away with the lite and layer up but I'd rather not have to layer up so I could be more flexible. I don't want to be stiff from all the layers. So should I get the regular? Do those of you that have the lite layer up much on say a zero degree day and wish you had the regular? And those with the regular over heat in a flip over and wish you had the lite at times?
x2 I think the wife has a pair of regular bibs for a b-day present for me.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:13 AM »
i wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants underneath my striker ice lite suit and dont have to layer up.i have a flipover shack but use it as a windbreak.the only reason i would get the new striker suit is it says new improved crotch panel which i had problems  with last years striker ice light suit.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:29 AM »
they have the new climate suit that has removable liners in coat and bibs. Its the best of both worlds warm when you want it, light when want it and you can use it in the boat in spring and fall without liners making it more justifiable for cost

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:47 AM »
For what you described I would say go with the Lite, and put a solid base layer on.. The regular suit is comparable to a snosuit warmth wise so if you sit in a shack at all your gonna be sweatin....

The climate suit is designed for guys who use their suit year round, you can run it with or without a liner, you can wear the liner to the suit by itself, it truly is a one of a kind suit....

If you have any questions feel free to call them...

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Alright thanks guys! I'll stick with the lite!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2012, 05:25 AM »
I have the lite.  Its amazing how little I can wear under it.  Just get a good base layer, and your set.  Ive had mine out to below zero for extended time, and never really got cold.  Its nice to be lite, warm, and have mobility
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I checked them all out and can report as follows:

The LITE suit is plenty warm for most conditions. I was told that it is warmer than the AA suit because in addition to the flotation, it has 100g insulation. Based on experience, this one is good to -10 with typical base layer underneath. This is a good choice for those moving around alot because the heavier suits are like furnaces! My son wears this one. I would think this would be the suit of choice for moderate climates. I was told that most of the SI pro staff uses the LITE. And take a look at the new Eskimo cartons and you will see the SI LITE suit!

The Hardwater suit is an upgrade from the regular Heavy suit from last year. This one has a carhart-weight shell and 175g insulation. It weighs twice as much as the LITE. This is perfect for sitters (like me) and handles the coldest temps imaginable. I was told that only about 30 bibs from last year had blown crotch issues and the current model has a better design. This is my choice because I like to sit on a pail and wait it out. I figure I can always open the vents to cool down. I bought the red/gray jacket with the gray bibs.

The Climate has a mid-weight outer shell and removable liners. It is as warm as the Hardwater. The jacket shell is tapered a bit (about an inch?) in the middle of the jacket so it is not so big when warn without the liner. The liner is a separate waterproof softshell jacket that is also sold separately for almost $100, making the Climate a pretty sweet deal. This one has waterproof zips so it can be warn in the spring or fall. Without the liner, my guess is that it is good to zero. With the radial body vents and back vent, this should be good as raingear to maybe 50 above. The bibs have zip out liner too. The Climate offers the best of both worlds but you have to deal with the liners. The softshell liner is pretty awesome.

All have flotation, adjustable inseam and most important, great ventilation. The Hardwater and Climate have heavier fabric and ballistic endura in the knees compared to the LITE. All have built in vents in the hems to release excess moisture- an important consideration to prevent a bacteria farm from growing inside the shell. I think any of the three would be a good choice, depending on the user and how/where it will be used. There is also a non-float option for under 100 bucks that might be a good option for many. Size L fit me OK but I went with the XL to allow for a little extra room for underlayers. I usually wear an XL so it appears that these are sized OK.

I hope this helps. I can offer a more detailed report after spending more time on the ice with my new Hardwater suit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.