Author Topic: Iced Carp?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Iced Carp?
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:09 AM »
Hi everyone,
 Have any of you ever tried to catch or have caught a carp while ice fishing? I am always looking for new species to target while fishing and wondered about carp. Does anyone have any info on this? ??? In my area there are a few lakes around with monster carp in the 25 to 35 pound range, lol you would defiantly need to drill an extra hole or two to get them up. Good Fishing all :tipup:

Water Wolf

<*)}}}}>{

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Iced Carp?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Dear Wolf,
    I have caught carp before while icefishing through a 6 inch hole. I have only caught them on a shallow lake with my bait just below the ice 1-2 feet because the lake is weedy. If you can find a non-weedy area try with your bait just a few inches off the bottom. I caught them on minnows but some people I know have caught them on night crawlers and mashed potato balls with corn in it. go figure the carp are mostly scavengers that eat just about anything. I haven't caguht much carp in the lake lately as a few years ago there was a massive ice kill of the fish and mostly carp and bass died by the thousands :'(  Good luck!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:08 PM »
I've got some from bigger lakes but I have a few small pond's that I fish if I want to catch them. I get them on little jig's and wax worms. A good sized carp on a 24" ultra light rod and 4lb test is a blast.
      Jim

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. so it looks like a basic perch or panfish rig will get me into carp. I know they are tough fish, and an awesome fight. Carpcatcher at what depth range do you have the most action, do you bait the area with corn first like in summer, and do you fish close to bottom?, as adkRoy mentoned his lake is weedy so he fishes just below the ice. Do they tend to hang out around weed in winter? :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Friend of mine caught a carp on a Kastmaster while ice fishing for perch.  Same scenario - light rod and 4# test.  Took him a long time to bring it in.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:39 PM »
It sounds like they would be a blast to fish for. I will have to give them a try some time in the future. Thanks for the info everyone, and good fishing. ;D

Water Wolf

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Sorry it took so long to reply waterwolf. The ponds I catch the in are only 4 to 6' deep so it doesnt matter where you set the depth. Some farm ponds are just loaded with them in my area and they can be a good time.
        Jim

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:22 PM »
carpcatcher,
 I am guessing that these are stocked ponds. Since they are quite shallow do they have an air pump installed in them or how is winter kill prevented?

Water Wolf

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:54 AM »
carpcatcher,
 I am guessing that these are stocked ponds. Since they are quite shallow do they have an air pump installed in them or how is winter kill prevented?

Water Wolf
Carp don't die easily...they have oxygen level needs similar to a catfish I believe.

MikeThePike

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:35 PM »
I too had wondered how carp fishing through the ice was as I have a few places within 5 minutes of my house that are loaded with them. We never got a really good freeze this winter though so I never made it out for them. Hopefully next year cuz I know there are some big ones in that river and I know how much fun they are on light tackle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.