The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 18V drill auger  (Read 2457 times)

Offline falconcg

• IceShanty Rookie
18V drill auger
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I saw today at Costco a 6'' auger that works with a 18V drill (sold seperatly of course).  As anyone ever tryied those?  I presently use a manual 6'' auger.

Thanks for the info.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 18V drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I use a 36 volt dewalt, I have talked with some guys that use smaller drill and they never seem to get enough holes out of a battery. I have lightened both my 4"-6" auger bits down to about 20 inches long all together. I always use my 4" for pannies and 6" for tip ups. I can usually get around 60 4" holes from one battery through 12-14inches of ice. ....thats alot of fishing! hopefully some other guys will have more info on the smaller V drills
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:29 PM »
many two piece hand augers adaptable for a drill. Just need the auger to drill adapter. They sell them all over

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I use a dewalt 20 volt with the new style batteries and with a 6 inch bit I can drill about 60 to 70 holes in 6" to 8 " of ice on one battery, I keep the battery in my pocket or in a warm spot when not in use , they last longer. I am very happy with my set up and its a lot lighter than the gas drill to lug around.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Saw in the cabelas ice mag that came the other day, nills is offering a cordless drill auger bit. It has the disk to keep it from going down the hole, and the adapter for a drill built right in. Odd that its red instead of blue.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Saw in the cabelas ice mag that came the other day, nills is offering a cordless drill auger bit. It has the disk to keep it from going down the hole, and the adapter for a drill built right in. Odd that its red instead of blue.

Orange and black, I believe they did that to differentiate it from their standard blue/red model.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:43 PM »
You're right, it is orange.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 AM »
I have run my 8" lazer bit from an 18V Milwaukee cordless.  Got 3 holes per battery drilling 30" of ice.  I thought that was pretty good for an 8" and that thick of ice.  I would not use it as my main auger, but early ice, or in a pinch it does ok.  Really nice in the permanent too. 

I'll stick with my Pro4 for most of my drilling.

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:49 AM »
I' picked one up this year also for early ice if it works well ill use all season I got 5 back up batteries I read you keep batteries in a small cooler with hand warmers to keep batteries out of the cold

Offline falconcg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Was so busy at work today that I didn't have time to check back.  Doesn't seem like it will slow down for the rest of the week ::)
Actually I only have a 14V DeWalt drill with two batteries so I guess that would not cut it.  So I may be better off and get a gas auger then ???  I liked the fact that electric would've been less noisy.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:56 PM »
In Quebec yea i would stick to gas. Where im at in Indiana, if you already have a nice 18V it would prolly be worth your while to get the adapter for your manual auger. Otherwise your spending the same 350$ on it all. 

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:09 PM »
icyveins,

I would be very interested in knowing details of how you shorted your auger.  I have been contemplating this in order to create a lighter and shorter rig for hiking to our high country Colorado lakes.  If you have any pictures, that would be great.  If not, maybe describe how you cut down the auger and created the "junction" to mate with the drill.  I appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:58 PM »
icyveins,

I would be very interested in knowing details of how you shorted your auger.  I have been contemplating this in order to create a lighter and shorter rig for hiking to our high country Colorado lakes.  If you have any pictures, that would be great.  If not, maybe describe how you cut down the auger and created the "junction" to mate with the drill.  I appreciate it and thanks in advance.

on most of the mora augers in the mid section where the thumb screw goes through the auger to attach the handle to the bit there is a collar that is welded to the outside sleeve of the bit and it has a 2-3inch center sleeve that slides down into the bit section. I lightly ground off that weld on the outside which allowed me to pull out the collar and inner sleeve. leaving me with the perfect piece to slide back into the bit after cut to the desired length and then re-welded it to the bit. on the "auger" section that pulls up the slush and shavings I only have about 2 complete circles around the bit. i have some pics on here and I will get you a link to the pics.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=229343.msg2301085#msg2301085
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Thank you very much icyveins.  That makes it very clear - I will try to replicate your success.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM »
The Lavman runs a DeWalt cord-free drill with nimrod adadpter spinning a Strikemaster 6" auger and he loves it. Lightweight, very portable, low cost vs a gas auger, environmentally friendly, quiet, drill works for running his old ladies "toys" when not used fishing, did I mention low cost vs gas auger?  @) ;D @)  ;D

Offline upstate bass2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:53 AM »

This would drill lots of holes, I hollowed out an old battery and hooked up a 6v and 12v led acid battery in series.  One day at   0 deg the bit caught and the drill exploded lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.