Author Topic: When is the first day of SAFE ice fishing in your neck of the woods?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Excluding last year >:(.Here in East central PA. traditionally it's not until Jan.1st. and  it  hardly ever goes into
March ( maybe the first week) :'(

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the last couple of years, I have been on about 2.5-3 inches of ice right around thanksgiving.  wait a second, that's not too far away.  better get my stuff out of the shed

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Never, I have to travel to Canada to see in-laws and friends to get on the ice.

... but I get to take the boat out 12 mo. a year down here, so it's not all bad.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
In and around November 1st.   ;D

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
If all goes well I can usually walk out around christmas and drive by mid Janruary and leave the permy out till first week of march. I hope this year is normal.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
If the temps stay consistant I will be out by next weekend  :tipup:

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Usually first ice by the first part of December, driving on in early to mid Jan and fising until mid March at least. This year the way the weather has been it is a crap shoot.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Two weeks ago!!! Got ten inchs now

Offline mguchi

• IceShanty Rookie
Depends in SE Wisconsin....last year it was 3" after Christmas and risky to drive on the whole season.  Prior two years it was 3-4" by 2nd Saturday in December and driving by Christmas.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
In my area of NY we generally get safe ice between dec 15-jan 1st.

Offline bigbear32

• IceShanty Rookie
Usually by mid December!! Last year had 4"-6" of ice by December 11th!! But weather rite now is wacked, so who knows what it will be this year.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Chased 6 flags iced 5 pike.   Wasn't sure if the ice was ready so I didn't take anything other then my two tip ups.  But nooooooo there was about 3 in...... 

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Typically in Hayward, WI we are on the ice by Thanksgiving...but that hasn't been the case the last couple seasons.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
I like new years eve as a tradition! small ponds prior to that..

that 70 degee weather doesn't fire me up too much!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Here in SE WI it's usually around Christmas these days. Back before Al Gore invented global warming I remember getting out around Thanksgiving and it was a given to take your stuff North the week before in case your deer season finished early.

These days it's touch n go............. This year I'm hoping it comes like it used to, high of 30 today with flurries.   ;D

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Usually first ice by the first part of December, driving on in early to mid Jan and fising until mid March at least. This year the way the weather has been it is a crap shoot.

X2,  one cold day, then a few warmer days, then cool again.  Saying 50 for the gun deer opener on Saturday.  If we could get a week to 10 days of consistent cold weather, we would be good to go.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
Excluding last year >:(.Here in East central PA. traditionally it's not until Jan.1st. and  it  hardly ever goes into
March ( maybe the first week) :'(
Define "safe" ;D
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not soon enough.....
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Usually the 2nd week of deering hunting so the last week of November beginning of December and driving the beginning of January and usually fishing tell the end of march beginning of April.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm usually on before Christmas, and it stays good until early to mid March. Last year I had to look pretty hard to find good ice for New Year's Eve, and it only stayed until the middle of February. The thickest ice I found within a half hour drive of my house last winter was 7 inches (usually around 14), and the edges rotted out a week later. Hopefully it's better than that this winter...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
November 4th was my first day this year, on about 3" of ice, pulled up a bunch of perch, 3 nice keepers, been out multiple times since, over 6" on that lake now.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
My first trip was the 27th of Oct this year. Had 10-12 inches of ice this weekend. One lake I was on had cars on it already.... they are stupid for doing so its a spring fed lake but we had a good day yesterday 2hrs of fishing and we iced 12-15 rainbows nothing huge but it was fun.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
I'm really hoping for safe ice on Xmas eve its kind of a tradition for me and the boy. Usually its a week before but idk if it will happen this year

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm moving to Canada!
It's been single digits- low teens every morning on the way to work, so hopefully sooner than last year.
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Cutting holes and iced fish today!  :tipup:

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
How much ice did you guys have out there?
I'm jealous man. Wish I had time to drive out your way, but it shouldn't be long before it's iced down here!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
How much ice did you guys have out there?
I'm jealous man. Wish I had time to drive out your way, but it shouldn't be long before it's iced down here!
Drove up the mountain and hiked into a small lake. The lower water should be hardening fairly quick I would think.  :tipup:

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome! Hope you did well!

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowshoes? Would need them over here. Was lots of snow around grey's river area last Monday when I went up. Sure there's more now.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
if this year is anythng like last year, won't see safe ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.