Author Topic: Telescopic ice fishing rod  (Read 2564 times)

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
Telescopic ice fishing rod
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Hi everyone,
Did anyone see any telescopic ice fishing rods anywhere?
I mainly panfish 15ft or shallower with palm rods hand over line but do want to try deeper places.
Problem is longer rods wont fit into my bucket so i thought about telescopic fishing rod.
I saw some on ebay from china but would rather deal with merchants in the states.
Anyone seen any?
Thanks

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Telescopic ice fishing rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Why not just use a 24in ice rod? 24inches is too long?

Here's a telescopic rod that's short enough for ice located in jersey: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=310418841255&index=10&nav=SEARCH&nid=59353731976

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 PM »
Doesnt fit in my bucket.
I was thinking to use the pen rod, but insert the rod portion into a foam or cork handle.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Anyone know how to build your own or buy supplies to make telescopic rods?

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2012, 05:35 PM »
I'm not sure if your going to find much info on this, ice rods are short enough that no one makes them telescoping. Not to sound like an idiot but you might be better of getting a bigger bucket or change carry method.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2012, 05:45 PM »
You can gete telescoping ice rods here, but it may be a pain in the rear to do it.  :unsure:
[url][http://www.buybestfishing.com/fishing-rods/ice-fishing-rods/telescopic-ice-rods/salmo-ice-pro-telerod-6524.html/url]
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2012, 06:03 PM »
I'm not sure if your going to find much info on this, ice rods are short enough that no one makes them telescoping. Not to sound like an idiot but you might be better of getting a bigger bucket or change carry method.
No, your not an idiotI welcome most opinions, else i would not ask questions here.
I have a 6 gallon bucket which is taller than most. Going to 7 might add another inch or two but still wont fit 24in rod.
Might have to try the ebay china seller and see how it is.
I dont target heavy fish through the ice, at least not yet so maybe the cheap chinese stuff might make due.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2012, 06:15 PM »
You can gete telescoping ice rods here, but it may be a pain in the rear to do it.  :unsure:
[url][http://www.buybestfishing.com/fishing-rods/ice-fishing-rods/telescopic-ice-rods/salmo-ice-pro-telerod-6524.html/url]

Everyhing you click on is out of order.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Is there a dire necessity to not have the rods stick out the top? I don't have a rod period that doesn't stick out of the top.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:40 PM »
the nature vision pak rods were collapsible.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/764805170-pak-stix-telescopic-fishing-rod-combo-ice-pan-fish/
other than that, i don't think they make any.
just how small IS your bucket? if it's 5 gallons then a 24" rod shouldn't stick out the top.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Check out a Gary roach 17" ul, i have one and really like it
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I carry a cheap telescopic in my backpack when summer hiking along the river. These could probably be cut down and reassembled for length you want. I bought mine at yard sale, but I think they're usually available under $20.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2012, 10:23 PM »
For panfish in shallow water I can't see how any telescoping rod would provide the sensitivity that would be good for the purpose.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2012, 11:23 PM »
A few years back Basspro had a ajustible length rod that "Telescoped" to a very short length. Seemed like a good way to go, you could make it long if you were outside or short for inside, I went to get one the next season and they were gone... It's all about market...

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 PM »
I agree that its time to use the bucket for carrying something other than rods. If you don't want to buy a fancy bag or backpack, clear plastic boxes 25x15x6 inches cost as little as a dollar, with $10 getting you a lidded, latched box with handles. Two dollars more will pay for foam padding to keep your rods from rattling around. If you're so inclined, there's also Jann's Netcraft, where you can custom build your rod to size http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-rod-blanks/?page=1
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.