The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Last winter in Montana  (Read 1171 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Last winter in Montana
« on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Looking like it might be a good one  ;D

I'll be in Alaska next winter  :thumbsup:

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Last winter in Montana
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:54 PM »
No kidding.......where?

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Not a walleye in the whole state........!!!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I know it, but I can still catch lakers, arctic char, grayling and pike 8 months a year on ice  ;D

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2012, 06:32 PM »
I'm going to Elmendorf, my boat is already sold :'( But I can keep it until August  ;D I don't think I need a boat for the short open water season up there, but I might change my mind down the road.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2012, 06:54 PM »
What are you going to be doing up there Henry?
  BE THERE!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I'm in the Air Force, I got orders this afternoon.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:25 PM »
What you want for Alaska is a nice 16-18 foot flat bottom with a 60-90 horse motor with a jet foot and always carry an extra impeller.......lol.  I spent five years at Eielson and wish I would have had a boat for the rivers up there.  Salmon fishing is much easier when out on the water.  On most of the lakes you can get by with a 14 foot aluminum with a 20 horse.  Anchorage is ok as far as cities go and the fishing is better around Anchorage than up in Fairbanks.  You'll probably have a good 5-6 months on hardwater, but it's not all that cold around Anchorage.  Us frozen people in Fairbanks used to call guys at Elmendorf lightweights........LO L.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2012, 10:01 PM »
I have a couple good buddies at Eielson, well one is in Korea, but he will be there.  I'll make trips up there if I can and be ice fishing longer ;D

I'll be looking into boats, I'm thinking about a couple a snowmobiles for me and the woman now that the boat will be leaving, I know it'll be a lot cheaper picking them up down here.  I'm more worried about ice fishing than anything, but I'm sure that'll change. 

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2012, 04:32 PM »
I know it, but I can still catch lakers, arctic char, grayling and pike 8 months a year on ice  ;D

Wait you guys have ice 8 months a year?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2012, 05:01 PM »

I was stationed at Fort Richardson back in the day, which is right next to Elmendorf.  You won't be ice fishing 8 months out of the year.  Actually, the winters there aren't as cold as winter in many areas of MT.  It is right next to the ocean (the City of Anchorage abuts Elmendorf) and has a maritime climate.  The interior of Alaska is a different deal, but even there 8 months of ice fishing is a stretch.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2012, 05:15 PM »
seedtree.......did you know that they combined Elmendorf and Richardson now??  Weird to us old timers......but, they way of the new world I suppose.  LOL

Air Force Base's in Alaska are Alaskan Air Command or AAC which for my 5 years there translated to Always Away Camping..........LOL  I tried to stay there and always tried to get back there......but, the AF didn't cooperate and I landed in Montana........about 23 years ago now.......:)  Not the same, but the best compromise there could be I think.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2012, 05:34 PM »
8 months was supposed to be an exaggeration, 6 is a stretch but possible and yes it does get colder here, but my buddy up there now has a much longer ice fishing season than me, not that he doesn't travel a little.

AAC?! You old dog,  ;) They reorganized it in 90, it's the 11th now.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2012, 06:16 PM »
LOL.........yeah, it's been a few years for me........

Near Eielson is a lake, called Birch Lake......Every year when the ice started forming someone would put there vehicle through the ice.  When I heard about that I waited three more weeks to go and it was plenty safe by then...........and oh yeah........get an extension for your auger......you'll need it!!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2012, 06:27 PM »
How difficult is the trip from Eielson to Elmendorf in the winter months? 

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:58 AM »
As long as there is not an active storm it's not too bad.  Going north it gets colder and is normally too cold for anything to stay on the road.  Ice breaks up an is shoved off, or you get dry snow that blows off the road.  Early and late season of course you get the same stuff we just had, wet and freeze, wet and freeze........that can make that 6 hour trip alot longer.......

Of course this is 25 year old memory talking here.......the roads might have improved since my time up there........but, maybe not......lol

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:47 AM »
How difficult is the trip from Eielson to Elmendorf in the winter months? 

Does the airforce not do space available flights anymore? When I was in the Marines my first two years we used to go to the airforce co-located base in RAF West Ruislip or up at RAF Mildenhall and catch space available flights all over the place for our weekends off. Can you not do the same between those two air stations in Alaska?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Yeah, we can do space A flights, but if we don't returned as plan it's leave out of our pocket and I've heard flights between Eielson and Elmendorf are few and far in between these days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.