Author Topic: layering  (Read 2754 times)

Offline thefightingpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Fish
layering
« on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Hi,

I need help layering this ice season.  Last year was my first so i had no idea what i was doing haha.  I just threw on a bunch of sweatshirts.

Any information helps, I am new here, thanks everyone

Pike are underrated.
Practice catch and release.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: layering
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Well I never dress warm until I get to the lake. If you have a long drive to get there you will end up sweating and that turns to cold real fast.
I do wear my Long johns and a t-Shirt out the door and while driving. Regular dress other than that. Once there I put on my heavy socks,Boots and Coveralls. I also wear a Coat on top of that unless it is warmer. Of course you need good gloves and liners depending on your style. I wear Wool fingerless gloves and Olympian C8 Glove liners which are the warmest I have ever found.  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/903/716/ITEM/Olympia-Sports-C8-Silver-Gloves-Liner.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Glove%20Liner&WT.MC_ID=10010
<===Lefty===

Offline Winters2short

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:25 PM »
Don't layer with cotton.  Synthetic base layers, ploypro or fleece.  Then wool or some sort of wind proof shell or both depending on how cold it is.
If Jim Beam were the sea and I was a duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Ya the base layer is the most important layer and go with as much wool as you can find. A good brand is smart wool I have ther base layer and socks and they are the bast and warmest I have found.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:46 PM »
             I use to layer, long johns then blue jeans, then when I got to the lake I put on Carharts arctic. Then last yr. I got Arctic Armor for a Christmas present, I don't have to wear long johns anymore. On my feet, I bought Predator Extremes from Cabela's. My feet never got cold, the trick is to not sweat before you get out on the ice, dress when you get there, even walking out on the ice, if it makes you sweat then dress a little lighter until you get to your fishing spot. ;D

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:56 PM »
non cotton base layer, a t and some pants but put on the heavy stuff on the ice
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Poly, fleece and wind break or poly, bibs and coat. Mad bomber on top and liners and wool socks. Toasty!
GO PACK GO

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:13 PM »
For basics stick to polypropylene or silk base layer then your fleece then your bibs and jacket or wind and water proof jacket and bibs.
With these basics you can add or adjust to your weather,absolutely no cotton because your body loses moisture and cotton holds it,you don't want that, the base layer takes the moisture away from your skin the fleece helps hold the heat and the rest helps hold the heat.Same with your feet polypropylene sock liner then your wool or fleece sock and then boot.I fish in the coldest windyest blizzards you know the kind that two seconds with your mitts off it hurts,and stay warm and comfortable and love it. Good luck.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I like Under Armour or silk long johns.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2012, 10:28 PM »
This is what I wear and  the order in which I do so.  I usually have the theme music to the A-Team playing on my phone while getting prepared for the occasion.  You may use this information as you see fit.

#1 lucky ice fishing underwear (whatever pair have the least amount of holes)
#2 8 year old pull string gray sweat pants with the dried on proof that I painted my house 4 years ago
#3 standard issue mid shin white socks with gray toe tips and heels
         -tuck sweatpants into socks
#4 random shirt that fits the theme of the day, usually that shirt my wife keeps trying to throw away that I painstakingly cut the sleeves off 6 years ago
         -tuck shirt into sweatpants, hike sweatpants way up to prevent icers crack (or plumbers crack if you're a plumber)
#5 jeans, the ones with the hole in the butt/crotch/both since I have sweats on underneath anyway
#6 belt, black or brown- I prefer black
#7 Iceshanty Militia hoodie
#8 giant black boots rated to-100,000,000,000 degrees that hit the gas and brake petal at the same time in a 1993 Chevy Beretta no matter what I do
#9 brown Carhardt hat with the top center seam busting loose just a little
#10 the most wonderful thing ever that has permanently captured the pungent aroma of a Tractor Supply store or Orshcelns...the one and only original xxl tan Carhardt zip up coat
#11 glittens or miloves or glovittens, half glove half mittens or visa-versa depending on where you live
#12 ice picks, that is saved for last since-very important you put those on last

Now, toss in a big dip of Redman golden blend and grab a grape soda and get going!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2012, 12:41 AM »
First cabelas polar fleece base layer. Then just a tee shirt and under armor sweats. I wear thick wool socks with PAC boots. Then when I get to the lake I put on a thicker hoody and my ice armor. It's very comfortable. I wear under armor sweats cause they are much more comfy with ice armor than jeans. I have stayed warm with all different temps.

Offline berk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Livin' the High Life
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:50 AM »
For basics stick to polypropylene or silk base layer then your fleece then your bibs and jacket or wind and water proof jacket and bibs.
With these basics you can add or adjust to your weather,absolutely no cotton because your body loses moisture and cotton holds it,you don't want that, the base layer takes the moisture away from your skin the fleece helps hold the heat and the rest helps hold the heat.Same with your feet polypropylene sock liner then your wool or fleece sock and then boot.I fish in the coldest windyest blizzards you know the kind that two seconds with your mitts off it hurts,and stay warm and comfortable and love it. Good luck.

+1, I was thinking up a response and realized it would pretty much be identical to this  :tipup:
TIP UP!

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 PM »
This is what I wear and  the order in which I do so.  I usually have the theme music to the A-Team playing on my phone while getting prepared for the occasion.  You may use this information as you see fit.

#1 lucky ice fishing underwear (whatever pair have the least amount of holes)
#2 8 year old pull string gray sweat pants with the dried on proof that I painted my house 4 years ago
#3 standard issue mid shin white socks with gray toe tips and heels
         -tuck sweatpants into socks
#4 random shirt that fits the theme of the day, usually that shirt my wife keeps trying to throw away that I painstakingly cut the sleeves off 6 years ago
         -tuck shirt into sweatpants, hike sweatpants way up to prevent icers crack (or plumbers crack if you're a plumber)
#5 jeans, the ones with the hole in the butt/crotch/both since I have sweats on underneath anyway
#6 belt, black or brown- I prefer black
#7 Iceshanty Militia hoodie
#8 giant black boots rated to-100,000,000,000 degrees that hit the gas and brake petal at the same time in a 1993 Chevy Beretta no matter what I do
#9 brown Carhardt hat with the top center seam busting loose just a little
#10 the most wonderful thing ever that has permanently captured the pungent aroma of a Tractor Supply store or Orshcelns...the one and only original xxl tan Carhardt zip up coat
#11 glittens or miloves or glovittens, half glove half mittens or visa-versa depending on where you live
#12 ice picks, that is saved for last since-very important you put those on last

Now, toss in a big dip of Redman golden blend and grab a grape soda and get going!

Jam3s -

I'm dyin' here.  I haven't laft that hard in a while.   ;D

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Jam3s -

I'm dyin' here.  I haven't laft that hard in a while.   ;D

Does it make it any more funny that I wasn't joking?  ;)

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Like many others have said, avoid cotton, especially as a base layer.  Wool and fleece are your friend.  A outer layer that is windproof / waterproof is good. Your base layer should wick moisture away from the skin.  The other important point is that layers are breathable.   I like a fleece jacket with a zipper, so I can unzip, and let heat out from the body core as needed. Several light layers are better then one heavy layer.

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Hit up the under armour outlet they have some good prices I picked up the base 2.0 and 3.0s for 40 a set which is about 1/4 of the original price. Mad bomber hat can't be beaten wool socks and wind proof outers.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I start out with IceArmor base layer merino wool top and bottom,under armor heat gear top, any pair of thin wicking socks under wool socks, cargo pants. Striker lite jacket and bib, ice armor gloves and hat. This year I also bought a Clam Nanook with a new heater so I'm thinking I'll be stripping down in the flip over so might leave the wool bottoms behind. I will also be needing to buy a pair of boots since I found out that they have a slit on the top and they might let water in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.