The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: walleye's at cooney  (Read 868 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
walleye's at cooney
« on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:30 PM »
anyone have any luck catching walleye's threw the ice at cooney? I've tried for a few years now and cant seem to get them to bite. I'm starting to think that since they are usually small that maybe using more perch tactics would bring some on ice.
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline beerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: walleye's at cooney
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Good luck my friend, ive been trying for yrs now. Would help if fwp would let u use live minners though.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2012, 06:59 PM »
that would be nice for sure. I found a good spot where they were stacked up pretty well in august so I'm going to try there first. A friend of mine got into a good number of perch around the north shore boat ramp this year also.

Offline gonehunting97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I got a few dink eyes last year thru the ice, got a few good bows and some ling. gonna hit it hard this year tho. give me a holler when its time and we'll tag team em!!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:21 PM »
sounds good, I can catch good bows but I catch them all year long and I want to get better at catching more warmwater species. I've tried catching the ling there but have had no luck(eventhough a friend of mine caught a couple three feet from where I had drilled holes).  :P. I did happen to catch a 15 inch walleye last year while fishing for rainbows.

Bullelk34

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:04 PM »
It's been 7-8 years since I ice fished there, but a buckshot spoon with a minnow head worked for me. Never caught a ton through the ice, but enough to keep you interested.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Good to know. I will have to try the buckshot and minnow head. What part of the lake were you fishing?

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Hey quiet about my catching a good number of perch dang it!  LOL  Just kidding.  Would love to see the perch numbers take off here as the ones we have caught are pigs!
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.