Author Topic: Hunting pop up for Ice fishin  (Read 4223 times)

Offline reidp3

• IceShanty Rookie
Hunting pop up for Ice fishin
« on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:56 AM »
O.K. boys...as serious ice anglers, I really value your opinions, so here we go.  I recently sold my frabill (not a hub) tent so I could buy a hub.  I was 2 seconds away from buying a quickfish 3 (see attachment) http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/fish-houses/eskimo-quick-fish-3-pop-up-portable-ice-shelter   

But.........I was at farm and fleet and saw this (see attachment) http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/646096-baronett-blinds-grounder-250-hub-blind.html

So....my ? is this..... Anyone here see ANY reason why I should'nt go with the barronett?  I am a deer hunter as well and see this as an opportunity to use this for hunting and ice fishing.  before you ask, I do know I will need ice anchors.  The only thing holding me back from a decision is the quickfish is 80" high and the barronett is only 67".  Somebody sway me please!!!!!!  P.s. I got several ideas to make the barronett work for ice....including floor plans, added grommets for anchoring, etc etc...is it really worth an extra $64.00 for the quickfish?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Hunting pop up for Ice fishin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:47 AM »
I am looking forward to hearing some reply's also. I fish from a flip-over, but if I was to buy a hub, I was thinking that I would get one that I could use for hunting also...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:56 AM »
i just bought a cheapie blind  .....  it should work but the one thing that jumps out at me is the fabric is much thinner than my shanty ..... so it may not be as durable in high winds and may not hold the heat as well

but .....  any port in a storm  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Hmm, ground blinds are made to hide you from the deer. Ice shanties are made to hide you from the elements. A ground blind just isn't made for the ice fishing evironment. Spend the extra cash now is my 2cents.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Without knowing what kind of ice fisherman you are, it's hard for me to say.  If you like to sit in one area and fish, spend some extra money and get something with comfortable seats.  If you're a run and gun guy that doesn't stay in the hut for very long, go cheap.

I've had a couple different huts, and to be honest unless I'm fishing with my kids or going out at night I don't use my hut all that often.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:42 PM »
I have used a blind a few time for more roo when I go with a lot of guys and it wors great. Just make sure ou have good tie downs for it as they are lighter than the shantys and like to blow away with the slightest wind.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:59 PM »
QF3 I love mine I wish they made them in camo.
With the blind I don't think it's going to hold heat and in the wind.
Check these out.
http://www.shappell.com/dx3000cshelterblind.html
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2012, 02:39 PM »
the hunting ones i usually feel the wind blowing through. also some of them don't have flaps to cover up windows. 

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:19 AM »
I've used a number of camo blinds while deer hunting.  I also have a hub shack for ice fishing.  I recently saw a blind that was advertised as suitable for both hunting & ice fishing, but can't remember where I saw it.  I think it was simply an ice fishing hub finished in camo, which I think would work fine. 
The quickfish weighs 9 pounds more than the hunting blind which tells me it's heavier duty and will do a better job of blocking the wind.  The quickfish also comes with 6 ice anchors. I suspect the hunting blind only comes with pegs so you'll have to pop for ice anchors if you go that route.  The Eskimo ice anchors are $10-12 a pair so keep in mind that's $60 you won't have to spend.
I also doubt the camo blind is designed to be anchored down as firmly as the quickfish so you might have trouble getting it to stay in place in high winds.  Even if you do, I think the lighter material in the camo blind would be more likely to rip. 
I hate to say it, but I think you should pay the extra $65 for the quickfish instead of buying something that won't fit your needs.  You'll probably have to buy a quickfish if the hunting blind doesn't hold up anyway.  As the old saying goes "pay now or pay later".   I think you're better off with the quickfish.

Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:47 AM »
So, I hope that some of the ice hub makers are reading this thread and start making some more "Shanties" in camo! That is the only way I would drop the money on a hub... I use my flip over and move to much to spend the cash on something that I would only use once and in while. I have been looking at picking up a blind and getting a dual use "Tent" would help me pull the trigger.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:50 AM »
As a guy who at times uses a small 4 ft X 4ft tarp on two poles to block the wind anything will work to some extent, if you want to take off your jacket and be "warm" I doubt the hunting blind will allow you to do that. Now if you want something to just get you out of the wind then this should do the job.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:06 AM »
I was trying to find the camo ice hub and found this.  It's a little cheaper if you're interested:   http://www.killzonehunting.com/fishing-gear/ice-fishing-shelters/killzone-igloo-ice-fishing-shelter.html
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Proud NRA Life Member

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.