The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: BOOTS ! (most important)  (Read 6929 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
BOOTS ! (most important)
« on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Hello fellow ice nuts  ;D As the season of joy is about to arrive , I find myself thinking about my 14 year old Sorel boots . I have the Sorel Ice Fishers . One piece molded rubber with a pull out liner . Very nice boots 1000% waterproof up to the very top of the boot ! As they get a lot of use , they began to crack in the bend area , rear of the boot (after 14 years ! ) I've bought and returned a few different pairs of different brand boots ! NOT WATERPROOF AS ADVERTISED ! Although not all rubber either . Here is my question , I would like to get REAL TESTED opinions on winter boots . I'm talking about true die hards like myself that will fish with 6"-8" of water and slush on top of the ice for many hours ! WITH NO LEAKS WHATSOEVER !!!!! I know there is gortex and cabelas dry plus , I just don't want to have wet feet ! I have gortex work boots , they were waterproof for a while ,but not anymore . Any info is appreciated !!! Thanks Keith  :tipup:

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: BOOTS ! (most important)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Muck arctic pros.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:10 PM »
My slush and slop boots are Rocky Buck Stalkers. They are knee high rubber boots with 1000 gram thinsulate. They seem to be perfect for those types of conditions. I still use snow pac boots when it's crazy cold, but one boot isn't gonna be perfect for all conditions.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:42 AM »
Muck artic pros

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:55 AM »
I have a buddy who has mucks and loves them. They seem to be a little more slippery on the ice than other boots tho.
I have the Cabellas Inferno Pac Boots. Going on my 3rd season now with them. Nice and warm (2000g thinsulate) and have never gotten wet.
I have also heard great things about the Cabellas Tran-Alaska III Pac Boots. These will be my next pair of boots when im ready for new ones.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline n2fishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:02 AM »
trans alaska pac boots will keep your feet warm been ice fishing in -40 and no problem but the waterproofing is not the best

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:13 AM »
My slush and slop boots are Rocky Buck Stalkers. They are knee high rubber boots with 1000 gram thinsulate. They seem to be perfect for those types of conditions. I still use snow pac boots when it's crazy cold, but one boot isn't gonna be perfect for all conditions.
I own Rocky work boots , great boot . I have to correct you a little though :-) my Sorel Ice Fishers are great for all conditions . Well at least they were for the last 13 or so years , until they cracked :( Sorel has gone down hill In the recent years though , Made in Vietnam I believe !?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:16 AM »
trans alaska pac boots will keep your feet warm been ice fishing in -40 and no problem but the waterproofing is not the best

Thats the first i have heard about issues with their waterproofing.
They literally got a 4.8 out of 5 stars average out of 145 reviews.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:45 AM »
i agree with baitbucket..cabelas has the best traction on the ice as well..cant beat 2000 gram they have...
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I like my Muck boots. I also have a pair of Rocky Ice Stalkers that have built in cleats that I like very much. Both are waterproof and very warm. My feet sweat in the Muck boots if it's not very cold out.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I have the Mucks.  If it seems warm I'll just wear a normal pair of athletic socks.  At most I throw a pair of hunting socks on when I know I'll be standing in slush/water.

Offline baitbig

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bigbait
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:52 AM »
 Old school sorels and cablea s grey socks and pair seal skin sock that the brand name (there neprone).   :tipup:

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:34 AM »
+1  mucks

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I like my Muck boots. I also have a pair of Rocky Ice Stalkers that have built in cleats that I like very much. Both are waterproof and very warm. My feet sweat in the Muck boots if it's not very cold out.
Hey PK don't you wear them in the barn also
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:58 PM »
love my neos

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Hey PK don't you wear them in the barn also
Only when they are mad and trying to get away.  :whistle:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Lacrosse Alpha Ice Kings   $119 from Amazon
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Muck....  Going to pop for pair of their new fishing boots too.  Wore out my chore boots and tack boots.
Too much fishing.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:42 AM »
I've had the Sorel Alpha Pac for two seasons and they're nice and dry.  They've got gortex uppers.   

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:08 AM »
I'll 2nd the trans alaskans, warmest boot i've ever had.
Bob P.

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:54 AM »
got a pair of mucks last year. woody elite or something like that. they are plenty warm and i wear them launching my kayak in cold water and stand in shin deep water to do so. dry as can be. unless u accidentally step in a little to deep....
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:10 AM »
x eleventy billion for MUCKS!!  Love em.  No problem slipping when I have my stabilicers strapped to them!  I also use them at the CC canal with the cleats on them, and for hunting but I remove the cleats.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Are the soles on the muck boots suitable for screws?

Most of the farm hands where I work have switched to Muck boots and rave about them. They say they don't get sucked off your feet like regular boots in the pig pens too! ;D

I'd go look at theirs, but they are covered with pig excrement..... :-\

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:27 AM »
I'll 2nd the trans alaskans, warmest boot i've ever had.
Warmth has never been an issue with me . It's the 1000% waterproof I'm concerned with . A friend bought Lacrosse (not ice king ) they were like ski boot stiff , and they leaked . I bought Sorel last year , they leaked ! So I called to return them , no problem with return . The hilarious thing was the explanation of why they leaked ! "The Material is 100% waterproof until saturated " kind of like my sneakers or slippers lol ! Waterproof until wet ! Ha ha ha ha ha . Sounds like Muck boots are a popular one . I wish they would just make warm RUBBER boots today . Not all the fancy materials and colors !!! 14 years with my Sorel all rubber .

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Are the soles on the muck boots suitable for screws?

Most of the farm hands where I work have switched to Muck boots and rave about them. They say they don't get sucked off your feet like regular boots in the pig pens too! ;D

I'd go look at theirs, but they are covered with pig excrement..... :-\

Some of them yes, some probably no.  There are like 50 different models to choose from, some are basically the same boot with a different tread on the bottom, some go higher up, some are lower, some camo, and thicker insulation are the arctic pros.  I would go to a local store and take a peek at a few.  Just looking at mine I don't know that I'd go with screws.  The sole is pretty tough but I don't know how thick it is.  I just strap a set of stabilicers to mine, they come right off when I don't need them anymore. 

Offline gillicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I ve had muck artic pros for 3 years so they dont leak and keep your feet warm . I agree that the # 1 thing is to have boots that dont leak . I fish alot of ice that  will have a lot of snow and slush here in nw pa

Offline calf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I have been wereing mickey mouse boots for 18-20 years feet never get cold 100% water proof all rubber get them at army /navy stores around 100$ also called mickeys they come in black & white   try them you will love them

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I have been wereing mickey mouse boots for 18-20 years feet never get cold 100% water proof all rubber get them at army /navy stores around 100$ also called mickeys they come in black & white   try them you will love them

This may be the answer.... VERY warm and waterproof if you wear the right socks.

Offline calf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:39 PM »
I USERLY WERE ONLY ONE PAIR OF COTTON SOCKS FEET SWEAT A LOT BUT NEVER GET COLD . YOU NEED A GOOD PAIR OF CLEETS ON BLACK ICE.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2012, 01:04 AM »
14 years with my Sorel all rubber .
14 years should be good enough.  If they don't sell them anymore, and you don't trust gortex or other tech fabrics, stick with leather uppers and mink oil them frequently.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.