The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster mag chipper blade ?  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster mag chipper blade ?
« on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I picked up this auger last year new and it works very well. But after all the debate about the "new" blades made in china I got to thinking, were the chipper blades manufactured there too? The only complaint I have is it does cut a little slow but I wasn't after a speed machine I just wanted to get through the ice with less effort than a hand auger. I think I will go out and check my blade to see where it was made. If it says china on it maybe get a new blade. Anybody have a similar issue?

Paul

Offline frankrizzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemaster mag chipper blade ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:19 PM »
Chipper blade augers drill slower. Their is only one blade vs. 2 and 3 blade set-ups. I have a Strikemaster Magnum I got last year. I had a old Mag2000 for years and wanted the solo motor. The old Mag2000 cut really slow with the same style blade. The new Solo is 3 times faster than that old auger.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Chipper blades cut fast if you keep them sharp. On my new Solo last year I had to sharpen the "new" blade b4 I used it. A fine file and some oil. DONT change angle on the "Flat" side (bottom).

I keep mine razor sharp.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012, 09:30 AM »
I have the magnum with the chipper blade also. It is slower but I prefer it over the lazer style. They don't have to be laser sharp to drill a hole, it will still drill a hole even if it's dull. A file every now and then is much cheaper than spending fifty bones on new lazer blades. And with the lazer blades, it doesn't take much of a beating before it won't cut a hole. I've seen too many people on the ice that can't drill a hole because their blades are dull, that doesn't happen with the chipper.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:19 AM »
If you are drilling through a lot of dirty ice with sand, dirt, trees, leaves and etc or just are hard on blades you cannot beat a chipper blade. They are tough and the flat ones cannot be any easier to sharpen. I use a flat diamond hone and some water to sharpen my Chipper blades. I sharpen my curved hand auger blades with a diamond hone also however they are not as easy as the chippers.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2012, 12:03 PM »
If you are drilling through a lot of dirty ice with sand, dirt, trees, leaves and etc or just are hard on blades you cannot beat a chipper blade. They are tough and the flat ones cannot be any easier to sharpen. I use a flat diamond hone and some water to sharpen my Chipper blades. I sharpen my curved hand auger blades with a diamond hone also however they are not as easy as the chippers.

Same here-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 PM »
SM has a blade trade program for the chippers. You send them your old dull chipper blade, they recycle them and send you a new one.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:55 PM »
SM has a blade trade program for the chippers. You send them your old dull chipper blade, they recycle them and send you a new one.

Where do i find info on this doublehaul, im have had a mag2000 for over 10+ years now and just barely replaced the chipper blade last year, never sharpened it once. Seen one on clearence at one of the outdoor stores here so i just decided it was probably time. Wouldnt mind trading that old blade in for a new one to keep on hand
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I replace mine every season.  Can't find the link, But I'm sure you can call the service center.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2012, 07:29 AM »
I replace mine every season.  Can't find the link, But I'm sure you can call the service center.

cool thanks
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Up until 2 years ago I ran the original chipper on my magn2000. The problem I had was after so many years the center point was rounded off so I just replaced the bit with a 7 in laser.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:04 AM »
I have a chipper blade on my Jiffy 75 and it cuts just as fast as most.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Up until 2 years ago I ran the original chipper on my magn2000. The problem I had was after so many years the center point was rounded off so I just replaced the bit with a 7 in laser.

Isn't it possible to buy replacement center points?  Not sure how old your auger was but I know new strikemaster auger bits have replaceable center points...

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Mine is a 2010 solo and I'm pretty sure the points welded on.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Mine is a 2010 solo and I'm pretty sure the points welded on.
Yeah i can't recall if the replacement center points were for lazer drills only or if they were for the mag also... you should check it.  I'm interested to know.  I can't imagine a newer drill not having a replaceable center point

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Just checked it and it is welded on.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Just checked it and it is welded on.
thanks for the info... that's interesting... now that I think about it i think those replacement points were just for the lazer drills.  The mag drills have a larger center point like a jiffy drill if i recall correctly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.