Author Topic: Should I spend?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Should I spend?
« on: Oct 12, 2012, 11:44 AM »
By now most have read my whining about not having much ice,so I have a question.At most our ice season last 3 weeks,some years no weeks.I would love to own a fish finder,but our short season makes it hard to justify.Has anyone used a Marcum ice troller? And are they usefull enough in my situation?Most water I fish is no deeper than 30ft,more in the 10-15 ft range.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Should I spend?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I use mine all the time. I use it most when the ice is thin and I'm on foot I also use it when I'm drilling hole and looking around. it's a great little unit for the money. I've gone out with folks at a meet and greet that don't have a graph and let them play with to see if it's something they wish to buy. Most people that have tried it love it.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I too have the same thought, but I usually get many months to ice fish. I am just about to get a humminbird 385 ci ice. I know it wont get used all the time but I plan to use it in summer too. Maybe that way you could justify spending more and getting one you could use year round. Just a thought. I know there have been many guys here that got one and from what I remember they performed well.

Paul

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Get a Garmin 300c. You can use it in open water, is color, and has a flasher mode for ice fishing.. $170
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-FISHFINDER-300C-3-5-MARINE-W-DUAL-BEAM-TRANSDUCER-010-00682-00-/330790009227?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4d049ef98b&vxp=mtr

2X for the money your better off going with something like the 300c or a Lowrance 67c, Elite 4 base unit ice or open water transducer buy a battery and make some kind of case. You will end up with a quality unit for ice or any boat for a few bucks more than the ice troller. I love my x67c I have several row boats canoe and kayak all over different waters I always have a fish finder now.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Im still pretty baffled by the people that buy the ice specific stuff.
You can get a color unit, that does more, can be used all year round, for less. This seems like a no brainer..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:17 PM »
I have a Marcum LX-5 and use it on my boat also, just buy a transom mount high speed transducer and use a flasher all year long.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Some people just enjoy using a flasher or showdown as opposed to a standard lcd unit for ice fishing. I happen to be one of them guys myself. To each his own. I do have a humminbird 345c and love it. Still like my flasher more for vertical jiggin though. A bird like a 345 may be a good option for you. Ive also used a showdown troller. It worked good and I liked it a lot. Hopefully they got the cracked up cases fixed on the new version.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Unless you only fish from shore you can't go wrong! Never hurts to have more toys!  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:36 PM »
If you get one no matter the price range it will tell if theres fish there or if you need to move. Good luck.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Besides warm boots, it is probably the best investment you can make for ice fishing. Even if you have a short season. You will put more fish on the ice period. It pretty much pays for itself in fun alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.