Author Topic: Anyone is SK using Jigging Spoons?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
Anyone is SK using Jigging Spoons?
« on: Oct 11, 2012, 09:41 AM »

See allot of American anglers using jigging spoons while ice fishing. Anyone using them up here in SK? If so what are you using ans where did you get it from?  :tipup:

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone is SK using Jigging Spoons?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:59 AM »
I've been using buckshot rattle spoons and pk lures all last year and did fairly well. this year i'm going to try lipless rattle traps and see how I do.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Jigging spoons are some of my most productive lures. Buckshots and PK's are my go to but almost any small spoon will work.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I think my jiggs are going to get a rest this winter, going to jump on the jigging spoon bandwagon and give it a go.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2012, 02:11 PM »
make sure you have a rod with a good back bone to really rip those lures im using a 28" st.croix premier medium light and might get a med this year to use bigger spoons.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2012, 03:45 PM »
make sure you have a rod with a good back bone to really rip those lures im using a 28" st.croix premier medium light and might get a med this year to use bigger spoons.

According to my wife I have enough rods to keep the entire lake fishing so I should be able to find something to work  ;D

I was ordering a few things from Cabella's so picked up a few different color options of these to try out on first ice in a month or so.

http://www.cabelas.ca//store/?ID=13963&section=1295

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2012, 05:27 PM »
If you picked up some with the silver or gold paint add some crazy glue to the rattle I have 2 spoons without rattles because of jacks hammering the lure. the dipped lures don't have this problem just sometimes the eyelet is over coated at times. I like fishing the buckshots next to a dead stick with a frozen minnow on a jig to catch the less aggressive fish.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Also picked up two more Abu Garcia C100i reels, this has been my go to reel on ice, and they were on sale so couldn't pass it up, great reel!

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1188&section2=1297&section3=1915&ID=21312

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Until last year I was a firm believer in "if the fish are down there and the fish are biting, lure isnt very important, as long as it's something that sticks out" and it had always worked. All of us fishing in the same area catching very little or all of us catching a lot. Last year is when we really got a whole lot of new lures, PKs, Buckshots and Jiggawoppers. I fished not 4 feet away from my twin brother, I had a Jiggawopper and he was using a Sweetish Pimple. After 3 hours I had caught 74 perch and he had caught 16 perch. We often would switch from hole to hole. But I was still catching them. Switched rods and he was getting them. So it just goes to say it really does matter on the hook and as for spoons, PK flutter fish, out fished anyone and everyone around us who weren't using them. But they worked on everything, pike, walleye, perch even caught a burbot. So as for spoons, they seemed to work flawlessly.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Spoons for burbot seem to produce even when nothing else is biting. Once mid winter hits I have a tendancy to chase burbot instead of walleye and have quite a few honey holes on the qu'appelle lakes that never have a shack anywhere near them. Even when the burbot arnt hitting hard spoons seem to get them hit hit aggressive and  out produce any other lure.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:34 AM »
Until last year I was a firm believer in "if the fish are down there and the fish are biting, lure isnt very important, as long as it's something that sticks out" and it had always worked. All of us fishing in the same area catching very little or all of us catching a lot. Last year is when we really got a whole lot of new lures, PKs, Buckshots and Jiggawoppers. I fished not 4 feet away from my twin brother, I had a Jiggawopper and he was using a Sweetish Pimple. After 3 hours I had caught 74 perch and he had caught 16 perch. We often would switch from hole to hole. But I was still catching them. Switched rods and he was getting them. So it just goes to say it really does matter on the hook and as for spoons, PK flutter fish, out fished anyone and everyone around us who weren't using them. But they worked on everything, pike, walleye, perch even caught a burbot. So as for spoons, they seemed to work flawlessly.

I just ordered a few PK Flutterfish to see what grabs them better these or the buckshots. Man the ice can't come quick enough!!! Are you guys baiting at all? Or just going with the bare spoon?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:21 AM »
I don't put bait on my pk spoons but I'll pinch off a minnow head and use it on the buckshot for walleye and maggots for perch. goal this year is to find out where most of the walleye are hiding in blackstrap durring mid winter.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:51 AM »
I don't put bait on my pk spoons but I'll pinch off a minnow head and use it on the buckshot for walleye and maggots for perch. goal this year is to find out where most of the walleye are hiding in blackstrap durring mid winter.

Ya Mid Winter fishing is what seperates the good anglers from the not so good, when they bite for no one else but you are still pulling through the ice. Can't wait to get out on some first ice, then once it's safe get my shack out there.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Good info here, definitely going to stock up next time I'm at cabelas or wholesale

Offline rrobillard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:42 AM »
what weight does everyone use for these spoons?

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I ordered my PK's in 1/2, and my Northland in 3/8 oz.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:54 AM »
From 1/8 to 3/4 oz for flutter fish and buck shots I bait with a minnow tail. But I also bait my flutter fish which can be a little tricky. I use meal worms but they have to be balanced so they still act normal and work well. So normally I use two worms, so it still looks right then jig a little, be still for a bit then jig way over my head so the flutter fish goes at far from the hole. Seems to work on walleye well.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Just looked at the long range on Accuweather and I like what I see, after this weekend looks like allot of High's in the negatives, highs of -1 lows of -10, wont be long till we have some ice to fish on, I would say early to mid November for some local lakes.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Just looked at the long range on Accuweather and I like what I see, after this weekend looks like allot of High's in the negatives, highs of -1 lows of -10, wont be long till we have some ice to fish on, I would say early to mid November for some local lakes.
GOOD LUCK,i have sometime till i ice fish,or do you need a HELPER,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:38 PM »
I think a better question would be is anyone NOT using jigging spoons.
Still counting.....

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I think a better question would be is anyone NOT using jigging spoons.

Ya I guess I needed to look outside my little bubble. LOL.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2012, 12:33 AM »
I am jigging spoons from time to time but I don't always use jigging spoons.
Most of the time, if I use a spoon, I use a Len Thompson spoon or other such spoon that is cupped and has lots of flash and vibration.{usually fish for pike}. :tipup: 

As for jigging spoons, I like to use Northland's buckshot rattle spoon, along with the PK flutter fish and or PK spoon.
This summer picked up some Pelican Lures J-bomb spoons. I will see how they work this winter.

I would also like to try Reel Baits new prototype spoon & prototype fergie spoon + the PK panic.

Does any one have any experience with any of these lures?
If so, how did they work for you and what action do they have? ???

WW

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Going to try some this year on one of those tip ups I seen at Gone Fishing in Moose Jaw.  Almost always fish with my kids so almost always am perchin but going to try to mix things up a bit this year

Offline rrobillard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Just picked up a pk firetiger 1/4 oz. flutterfish and a pk red dot glow 1/4 oz. spoon from cabelas. Anyone know if these work well for Walleye up in the Turtle Lake area of northern sask?

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Just picked up a pk firetiger 1/4 oz. flutterfish and a pk red dot glow 1/4 oz. spoon from cabelas. Anyone know if these work well for Walleye up in the Turtle Lake area of northern sask?

You could have went bigger, like maybe a 3/8 oz, but you should have good success with the greenbacks on the Flutterfish.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2012, 10:29 PM »
You find the Walleye and they will find your PK spoons. Like DBK81 said you could go even bigger but I had good luck last year with the 1/4 oz versions and the perch like em too.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2012, 12:15 PM »
PK'S and buckshots always seem to work for me.

Offline saskcat4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2012, 09:45 AM »
PK's, buchshot and my favorite is a silver or blue Hawger spoon.

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:36 AM »
After Saturday outing and some thought, the second hook on the PK lure does help. When jigging and letting settle to bottom for 2 second pause and going to raise pike and walleye hit it right on the bottom before able to raise which caught myself off gaurd many a time. 2 bit inflation and all.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 AM »
After Saturday outing and some thought, the second hook on the PK lure does help. When jigging and letting settle to bottom for 2 second pause and going to raise pike and walleye hit it right on the bottom before able to raise which caught myself off gaurd many a time. 2 bit inflation and all.

That second hook does help for when fish pin on the bottom which is quite common, I know some guys don't like that second hook but I have caught many fish on that front hook that I might have lost otherwise.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.