Author Topic: It almost that time again  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Wrinkles

• IceShanty Rookie
It almost that time again
« on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Well I am just getting ready to put together a new ice shack.  Thought I would see who else was upgrading or building.  I will post some pics when complete.  Come on winter.

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
Re: It almost that time again
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Just put the order in on a Clam Six Pack 1660 MAG, cant wait to get it, says 5-7 guys, so hopefully 4 guys with gear will be good to go.

Also order the clam console for the flip up, hopefully work slows down enough that I can actually get out this winter.

Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2012, 11:01 PM »
I won the Quickfish 3 as part of Eskimo's Fattest Fish competition, the email part, not the fattest fish pic.  Cannot wait to try it out.  Had the Kingfisher 3 from Costco last year, was a good tent.  I don't know if the QF3 will be better but as long as the fish are biting and the sunflower is burning bright, I'm happy ;D

Maybe I won the email portion of the contest because of Mistabray's attempt at comedy:

They did post that pic to the site

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Also have a qf3. Great tent for 2 people. A little cramped with 3. Solid construction. Easy set up you will be happy

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2012, 07:50 PM »
That was my first tent they have solid poles hubs and zippers and 2 people fit perfectly in there with four holes and a sunflower enjoy!
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I had that one from Costco,what a piece of JUNK,after one week and maybe 3 uses was able to see through it without having to undo the zipper,Went and bought the Eskimo 6 man,night and day difference.The only problem with the one you won is your buddies will have to buy their own.You will not be disappointed with that one.I talked to the guy from Costco about that one that they were selling and he said they had alot returned because of the black coating inside coming off.

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2012, 07:58 AM »
The black was coming off on mine near to the end of the season, just in spots.  No issue with the tent itself but I do see that Costco does have a different supplier this year.

My buddies have their own tents, it's like a little village out there.

See you on the ice!

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2012, 09:15 AM »
i still have my original sub zero 4 man pop up one of the first ones out and the thing is still in great shape i was really suprised, it  may be a bit heavier but i have never had a single problem with it it also has tie down straps on all 4 sides with pouches right under them to hold them wich is great and i find way better then the little strings the new ones come with.

also me and my dad just got the biggest eskimo fatfish and we still have our big insulated shack on the red for those freezing windy days

can't wait for ice to come :tipup:
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Just pulled my Kinfisher 3 out of the Garage and after 3 Winters it's still in great shape.

I'm always very careful not to leave anything leaning on the inside of the shack when I'm fishing (rods, ice scoop etc.) so as not to wear away the black lining on the inside. You might not think it makes a difference, but when that north wind gets howling, the whole shack shakes causing anything leaning on the inside to rub off that black layer of UV guard (which actually holds in some heat as well).
Can't wait to get back on the ice!! Pulled out the old ice sled this past weeked, installed 2 back-rests on the seats as well as a snow guard on the front, tightened up all the nuts and bolts, and re-inforced the base with some L brackets just to be safe.
Im ready to go, just add ICE!!
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Mistabray, I think your profile pic should be changed to the Augerboy pic above  :P

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I probably did a little to much but much needed upgrading got me some new custom rods one brickers one TB and a Z51 shark o and a new quad so I'm thinking we need ice soon before I'm fit for a straight jacket!!!!:):)$

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I probably did a little to much but much needed upgrading got me some new custom rods one brickers one TB and a Z51 shark o and a new quad so I'm thinking we need ice soon before I'm fit for a straight jacket!!!!:):)$

I got the Z51 Shark last year and I ♥ it.  I also was upgrading from a hand crank so anything is better than that.  It's a solid machine, no issues for me, just guys and brand loyalty.  If it cuts a hole in the ice when I want it to, I'm happy.  Lately I've been dreaming of a Rhino but unfortunately that is just a dream.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I hear you on the Rhino, or Ranger, I have even been eying Argo's with tracks, unfortunatly I've been told by my wife that come Dec when my $10,000 bonus roles into my account that it has to go into savings :( one of these years I'll use that money to buy a toy, guess that's what happens when you have two kids in 3 years, toy money turns into I'm going on mat leave/diaper/daycare money hahaha. O well some day, some day, in the mean time I am also looking to upgrade to a Z51 or maybe even the Z71, just waiting for Canadian Tire to start rolling out the ice gear, and then to see some Augers pop up in the flyers on sale. Sold my Humminbird Ice-35, and have a Ice-55 on the way, the ice can't come soon enough though, seems like I am buying tackle or new reels or something just about every week now that the boat is put away, & winterized. This is the worst time of year, boat is put away open water fishing is done, ice fishing is at least a month away and beer league hockey hasn't started yet...........the end result is to many trips to Canadian Tire or the Coop and online tackle shopping  ;D

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:37 PM »
They have the augers out in the canadian tires in winnipeg! And I have the z-51 and love it. It cuts ice like crazy!
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Just put the order in on a Clam Six Pack 1660 MAG, cant wait to get it, says 5-7 guys, so hopefully 4 guys with gear will be good to go.

(Image removed from quote.)

Also order the clam console for the flip up, hopefully work slows down enough that I can actually get out this winter.

Was just in Cabelas and they have their shacks on display.  If it was the 1660 Six Pack they have on display, you may want to set it up once you get it and check out if the height and doors will be good for you.  The roof tapers quite a bit from the centre to the sides, so much I cannot stand upright in it.  I am 6ft and I know you cannot stand up in most portables but my head was off to the side.  If you want to get up and stretch you need to go outside.  The doors are small and awkward to get into.  On the inside it would probably fit maybe 4 guys.  I am hoping this was the 1550 model.  The Eskimo 6 man was $40-50 more and is IMO a better "fit".  Just a heads up, that's all.  Hopefully the CLAM you get meets your needs.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Upgraded from a 7x8 to a 8x16 ice castle now just need the ice to start forming!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Upgraded from a 7x8 to a 8x16 ice castle now just need the ice to start forming!

What lake are you dropping that palace on gyman?

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Hoping to put some miles on it and camp out on a few lakes this winter. Would like to go to lml and dief for a weekend for sure.  Haven't got my wife fully talked into sleeping on the ice yet though...

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Hoping to put some miles on it and camp out on a few lakes this winter. Would like to go to lml and dief for a weekend for sure.  Haven't got my wife fully talked into sleeping on the ice yet though...

After 14" of ice sleeping on the ice is no less safe than sleeping in your bed, but I hear you when it comes to convincing the wife. LML is a good spot, I would say top 3 for big fish in the Province (That aren't fly in operations). I've got relatives there and plan to get out for at least one weekend this year.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:18 PM »
For sure it's a nice lake, last time I was there we spent the whole day in buckets moving around and nailed burbot and pike pretty consistent all day.  Had a feast that night!

Offline Fish the Rapala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Does any one have a Otter? I'm looking at upgrading to one, any input would be greatly appreciated!
No place I'd rather be, then on the ice fishing!

Offline The_Big_Cat_Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Made the jump from the old 8x8 plywood shanty to the mew Eskimo Fat Fish last year in Feb. Best choice i have ever made. Picked up a 8 man model on EBay and absolutely love it. Can fish six people with 12 holes quite comfortably. Mobility is great we made several 10 move trolling excursions last winter and you would never get 4 moves a day out the old shack. Bring on the ice cause I'm itching. :icefish:

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:32 AM »

A good friend of mine is interested in the same shack. We live in Thompson MB. Where did you pick yours up? Have you had it set up? Your thoughts on it?

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:27 PM »
I picked mine up out of cabela's in Grand Forks.  I havn't set mine up but the cabela's in Wpg has one set up in the store.  Tons of room inside, but the doors are a little small.  I plan on using it as a base camp and possibly spend the night out on the ice.  Clam says 5-7 guys, and I would say that that is not far off, 4 for sure with tons of room.  Can't wait to get it out and give it a test run.  Hight of -7 tomorrow and no above freezing temps in the forecast so shouldn't be much longer.
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.