Author Topic: St Croix premier ice rods discounted  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
St Croix premier ice rods discounted
« on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I was just browsing the St Croix site and noticed that they have a couple discounted rods for $9.00 plus tax and shipping, 36MH and 34H are all that is listed.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: St Croix premier ice rods discounted
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I was just browsing the St Croix site and noticed that they have a couple discounted rods for $9.00 plus tax and shipping, 36MH and 34H are all that is listed.

Good deal if it is a size and action you are looking for.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Got a link? I see the springs only are $9. Couldn't find the $9 rods :(
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2012, 05:19 PM »
they just put out all their last years stock for 15ish$ for a ice rod combos.

sold out in 1/2 day.

hayward bait bought around 300 of them.....

sucks i missed out.

reels alone are 20 bucks.... :-\ :-\ :'(

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:38 PM »
they just put out all their last years stock for 15ish$ for a ice rod combos.

sold out in 1/2 day.

hayward bait bought around 300 of them.....

sucks i missed out.

reels alone are 20 bucks.... :-\ :-\ :'(

Don't feel bad the reels are garbage worst 2 reels iv ever owned they came combo with st croix rods, the rods are nice but that's it! both reels fell apart on me the first 1 was at a tourney a day after i bought them! :'(
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:20 PM »
FYI: Two of the three discounted rods are casting models.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:58 AM »
I just ordered the pir36mh/12, don't think it's a casting rod!  Even if it was, for ice fishing, what difference would it make?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2012, 10:47 PM »
I just ordered the pir36mh/12, don't think it's a casting rod!  Even if it was, for ice fishing, what difference would it make?

The guides and bend in the rod would be way off. Would likely break the rod if you got a big fish on. Due to guide placement and taper in the blank, they are made to bend a certain way.. when you bend them the opposite way something is going to give.

the PIR36mh is a spinning rod, the PIRC34 is a casting rod
EYECONICFISHING

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I figured the 'C' would be for casting.  Glad I don't have to figure out the hard way.  Even if I did get the wrong one, the chances of me actually getting something on it that would risk breaking it are fairly slim anyways!!

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:14 PM »
The guides and bend in the rod would be way off. Would likely break the rod if you got a big fish on. Due to guide placement and taper in the blank, they are made to bend a certain way.. when you bend them the opposite way something is going to give.

the PIR36mh is a spinning rod, the PIRC34 is a casting rod

As a rod builder IM claiming BS on this......sorry. most ice rods are built on the straightest axis. they dont take the time to line up the spine on them anymore.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 AM »

As a rod builder IM claiming BS on this......sorry. most ice rods are built on the straightest axis. they dont take the time to line up the spine on them anymore.

Really? So what did the st. croix factory in china look like when you visited and watched them make the st. croix premier rods?

Maybe YOU dont take the time to line them up and make a good rod, but you cant speak for everyone. On a 34" rod you better be checking the bend or you are asking for trouble. A 34" rod should be made more like an open water rod than an ice rod.

Also forgot to mention the trigger on the casting rod might get in your way if you are using it as a spinning rod... and everyone else on the ice is going to laugh their tails off at you. Ever see those idiots fishing in the summer with their rods upside down? funny isnt it. I've seen a dozen or so people try it and most of them walk back to the truck with a 2pc rod.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2012, 11:24 AM »
The St. Croix Premier rods are a joke. I have never seen a rod in which the blanks twist and the eyes come out of alignment so easy like they do. I would rather have cheapy HT Ice Blues rods over them, at least the guides stay straight and the blanks are stabil. Even some of the Legends are like that. The 32" Avid rod I had and tore down for parts had the worst tapered blank/action I ever saw. There was a 8"+ section of the rod that barely bent when loaded but the sections above and below it bent. It was weird. I own and have owned several and sorry I do not see a lot of quality in the St. Croix ice rods.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2012, 04:10 PM »
The St. Croix Premier rods are a joke. I have never seen a rod in which the blanks twist and the eyes come out of alignment so easy like they do. I would rather have cheapy HT Ice Blues rods over them, at least the guides stay straight and the blanks are stabil. Even some of the Legends are like that. The 32" Avid rod I had and tore down for parts had the worst tapered blank/action I ever saw. There was a 8"+ section of the rod that barely bent when loaded but the sections above and below it bent. It was weird. I own and have owned several and sorry I do not see a lot of quality in the St. Croix ice rods.

Don't hold back!! Tell us how you reeeealy feel about St. Croix rods.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Really? So what did the st. croix factory in china look like when you visited and watched them make the st. croix premier rods?

Maybe YOU dont take the time to line them up and make a good rod, but you cant speak for everyone. On a 34" rod you better be checking the bend or you are asking for trouble. A 34" rod should be made more like an open water rod than an ice rod.

Also forgot to mention the trigger on the casting rod might get in your way if you are using it as a spinning rod... and everyone else on the ice is going to laugh their tails off at you. Ever see those idiots fishing in the summer with their rods upside down? funny isnt it. I've seen a dozen or so people try it and most of them walk back to the truck with a 2pc rod.

Haha! really? I never said I dont for one....... And 2) I can guarantee you that you can use the same blank for a casting rod as you would a spinning rod.....builders so it ALL the time.

lets just assume I have some common sense here, of course im not gonna go to the lake with a setup like you mentioned in paragraph two. But one can no doubt take a rod and bend it opposite of what its meant to be bent and get away with it. If you want I will build you a rod set up with the intent of you breaking it, and I will even make it free just to see if your right.....Ive done it before and I can do it again. I have NEVER had to go home due to a broken rod from a fish. And have only broken one rod in the last 5 years, and that was because I sat on it. Not to mention the 1000's of rods Ive built in the last ten years......Ive never had a warranty issue or return. show me some proof on your theory that directly applies to ice rods. and I will level with ya.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:18 AM »
And have only broken one rod in the last 5 years

Wish I could say the same

I have never broken an ice rod on a fish, I have broken lots of them other ways though, mostly tips from poor storage and keeping the lures on and the line getting caught on something and the tip breaking.

I have been looking into building my own ice rods and there is considerable debate on the spine placement for ice rods, some say it doesn't matter, some say top some say bottom. The blanks I have been playing with some of them have a noticeable spine along with a secondary spine, others you can barely tell they have a spine.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:27 AM »
From what i understand all ice rods and reels made in china all come from the same factory. It employs 25,000 people. Its like four blocks long. Each company like Daiwa shimano, etc. Name the company and they are located there. They have like two lines that run the length of the building for each company.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Well here's to hoping that my first st. croix rod doesn't suck too much!!  My other ice rods are just whatever rods, I have a blue HT one, works good.  Fortunately I mostly use tip ups!!! 

I've tried others st. croix fresh water and surf rods, and the ones I tried were a think of beauty, but out of my price range.  I'm not going to let the fact that my first st. croix is probably built in china right next to the other regular ice rods that I have get me down!!  However, to tell the truth I think I've caught more fish on straight jigging sticks (a piece of wood to wrap line around) than I have on actual ice rod and reel setups.  Oh well, and so the arsenal grows.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:06 PM »
I'm with Mr. Kruger....

It's a bendy stick, not voodoo. The whole spine thing fell out of favor nearly 10 years ago too. Any serious professional builder will put the guides on the straightest axis for a summer rod and it is 100% irrelevant on an ice rod. Most marketing for ice rods is dripping with hype, plain and simple. As far as casting vs spinning blanks, the highest end blanks don't even say what they are designed for. Just ratings, power, line, and weight recommendations. It's up to the builder to figure out what to build on it....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Well here's to hoping that my first st. croix rod doesn't suck too much!!  My other ice rods are just whatever rods, I have a blue HT one, works good.  Fortunately I mostly use tip ups!!! 

I've tried others st. croix fresh water and surf rods, and the ones I tried were a think of beauty, but out of my price range.  I'm not going to let the fact that my first st. croix is probably built in china right next to the other regular ice rods that I have get me down!!  However, to tell the truth I think I've caught more fish on straight jigging sticks (a piece of wood to wrap line around) than I have on actual ice rod and reel setups.  Oh well, and so the arsenal grows.

xjma: I'm gonna poke my nose in here and tell ya I've had 2 Premiers that are now 5 years old, and both the rods have seen plenty of action. Sure, I've got a lot of other "high end" rods, but my Premiers are still arrow straight, and the guides line up perfectly....and I'm a real picky pete about my stuff looking & being perfect. I cannot find ANY issue with the ones I have.  Hey, they work for me...just depends on the one YOU happen to get; and what works for YOU, IMO.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:39 PM »
All my premiers are fine too, and they are still an excellent value.

Moral of the story.... Reason number 55 not to mail order a rod.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:04 PM »

BINGO.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I have around a dozen premiers, and I ordered 6 of the $9.00 ones (saved $126.00) to have on hand for when I get reckless and break the others which I accept as inevitable. Some of the premiers I have were ordered through Thorne Bros, every premier rod that I have is built perfectly, not one single guide out of alignment, now it could be that Thorne Bros is good about making sure they only send out rods with guides that are aligned or maybe I just got lucky, of all the ice rods that I have I prefer and like the feel of the premiers over all the others (possible exception would be the rod I just built, but that might just be a sentimental thing). I also prefer the premiers that have the reel seat on them over tape and the rest of the ways to attach the reel to the handles.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Got mine in today, feels great, and the eyelets are all aligned.  Can't wait to use this bad boy!! 

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 AM »
I picked up five of the discontinued rods. All the guides are in line.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:27 AM »
I bought my first St Croix rods last year and absolutely love them. it seems like if a fish farted by my jig I felt it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.