The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: WGFD Proposed License Fee Adjustments  (Read 8359 times)

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
WGFD Proposed License Fee Adjustments
« on: Oct 04, 2012, 03:35 PM »
Hello everyone. Here is some info on our proposed license fee adjustments. Please review this post and please feel free to review the information on our website and make comments.

Background:  The WGFD gets 80% of its funding from hunters and anglers. Only a small portion (5-6%) of the department's budget comes from the general fund.  57% of Wyoming residents participate in hunting, fishing, or wildlife viewing.  Wildlife-related recreation contributes $1.1 billion annually to Wyoming's economy.  Costs for hunting and fishing licenses in Wyoming are set by the State Legislature.  Current fiscal projections indicate that WGFD cannot provide the level of fish and wildlife management currently enjoyed by residents and nonresidents beyond 2014.  The last license fee adjustment was in 2008; with a prediction that the additional revenue would last until 2012.  With cost cutting measures, current levels of revenue will maintain operations until 2014.  Without additional revenues, the WGFD will be forced to cut programs up to 20%, beginning in 2015.

Five options are being proposed to provide the additional revenue needed to maintain current levels of services and programs beyond 2014.

1) License fee adjustments
2) Big game license super raffle
3) Annual or biennial license fee adjustments indexed to inflation
4) Seperate white-tail and mule deer licenses
5) Increasing revenue associated with Wyoming Wildlife Magazine

An example of an increase: Resident antelope would go from $31.00 to $48.00. Resident fishing license would go from $22.00 to $36.00.

There will be hearing of the Travel, Recreation and Wildlife (TRW) Committee in early November where WGFD license fee adjustments will be discussed.  To see the entire proposal, go to: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1000880.aspx
Before the TRW meeting, WGFD will hold a public meeting on October 11th at the regional offices as well as online. Interested anglers and hunters are urged to submit their comments at: http://gf.state.wy.us/WGFD_WebSurvey/CommentOnly.aspx

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WGFD Proposed License Fee Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012, 06:01 PM »
FWIW, $22 to $36 seems like a fairly steep increase percentage-wise. But it is what it is. Have you placed a figure on what number of folks may opt out of purchasing a fishing license with an increase this large?

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 06:13 PM »
I am sure glad I got my lifetime when I did  ;) ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:30 PM »
I am sure glad I got my lifetime when I did  ;) ;D

About 7 more till i can get one of those
Don

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I would never pay that much for an antelope or a deer!!! I will quit hunting and just fish probably out of state cuz its cheaper lol
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Why not leave resident prices the same and raise the non-resident?

Offline Boowee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Why not leave resident prices the same and raise the nonresident?
I agree!!! I see alot of out of state license plates (mainly Colorado) coming through Cheyenne hauling boats campers, etc.  Seems to me the increase should be carried more on their wallets.  I have no complaints with paying a little more cause I know you have to pay to play.  But with the obvious influx of nonresidents using our resources I believe the majority of the increase should land on their shoulders.

Offline Rampart Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Our out of state licences are farely cheap compared to other states with the same game. I am sure most of the state would agree when I say raise the out of state licences before the instate licences. I work really hard for the money I have and love to hunt and fish. It is getting harder and harder to afford all the licences for the game that I like to hunt. I spent over 350 dollars this year on Licences in wyoming. It does help to spread them out through the summer, know that you can apply online.

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Makes me happy that I purchased my Fishing & Conservation LIFETIME years back.  There was some noise made about trying to figure out how to charge TOURISTS some sort of tax for there enjoyment of the Outdoor veiwing oportunities...IF anyone could figure out how to get tourists to pay hteir fair share...the way it is...the enjoy the outdoor experiance with WYOMING wildlife on the free...so to speak.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Here in Wyoming we are so fortunate to have quality hunting and angling that rivals ANYWHERE in the world.  We, as anglers have not had to deal with a license fee increase in 4 years.  So it might go up to $36.00 annually.  While i am certainly not rich that seems like a trivial point to argue over considering the abundance of quality angling at our disposal.  Rightfully, out of state anglers are charged considerably more.  I cant speak to hunting license fee's as I am not a hunter.  Nonetheless, $48.00 seems like a pretty reasonable price to enjoy the caliber of antelope and deer hunting our state offers.  The G&F dept is doing a very thorough job in analyzing possible future funding options.  In the end, I would guess that everyone will have to shoulder some additional expense to keep the diversity of programs and the quality of angling and hunting in Wyoming at the premium level it is at.  Thank you to the G&F for getting out ahead of it and working diligently to secure sustainable future funding!  Tight Lines,Chris

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:11 AM »
   I'm hoping the budget can get more revenue from the general fund as oil and gas production is increasing and mineral taxes for the state rise. Seems fair that the general fund could receive more dollars to help fund the G&F budget and not rely so much on the 80%. Please don't bite the hand that feeds you so hard.

Offline wyofisher85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2012, 11:43 AM »
You raise the price too high and people will quit buying licenses. Look at what happened in montana with their big game tags this year. They still have left overs for non-residents because people arent gonna pay that price. :-\

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Our out of state licences are farely cheap compared to other states with the same game. I am sure most of the state would agree when I say raise the out of state licences before the instate licences. I work really hard for the money I have and love to hunt and fish. It is getting harder and harder to afford all the licences for the game that I like to hunt. I spent over 350 dollars this year on Licences in wyoming. It does help to spread them out through the summer, know that you can apply online.
WHA?
Ours are much more, (non-res fishing)
Co-$56
Ut.-$70
Sd.-$62
Nb.-60.50
Mt.-$70
And Wyoming non-resident annual fishing- $104.50
I read last year that wyoming makes more money off of non-resident fishing licences than any other state... ???
I think we should get some of the money from the "General fund" also. ;D

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Nobody likes to see increases in fees for anything, bad enough it is costing us more and more each day just to go to work and eat. I will always buy my tags but am not sure that rate increases are what we need to see right now. We live in a state that is full of oil, gas and coal. How much money is paid out for hay predation to land owners that don't allow public hunting. How many miles or how long do Game and Fish operate there vehicles. As a hunter sometimes I'd like to see less out of state hunters, but I know that they bring in alot of outside money to our state. Non residents should not be able to purchase our doe/fawn deer and antelope for $34 a piece. I'd like to see the total number of all license sales for the last 3 years. Were there more or less licenses being sold? There has been declineing game numbers due to the harsh winters for the last 2 years. Maybe we don't need as many game wardens on the payrole. Are game and fish employees unionized? There are alot of question that should be answered before we have to pay higher fees.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Increased Lisence fees are inevidible but it seems like quite a jump, as previously stated, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". With mineral companies making millions, I think they should be able to help with revenue. I am totally against "super lotteries" for tags.

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Increased Lisence fees are inevidible but it seems like quite a jump, as previously stated, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". With mineral companies making millions, I think they should be able to help with revenue. I am totally against "super lotteries" for tags.
Here here!! ;D

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Nobody likes to see increases in fees for anything, bad enough it is costing us more and more each day just to go to work and eat. I will always buy my tags but am not sure that rate increases are what we need to see right now. We live in a state that is full of oil, gas and coal. How much money is paid out for hay predation to land owners that don't allow public hunting. How many miles or how long do Game and Fish operate there vehicles. As a hunter sometimes I'd like to see less out of state hunters, but I know that they bring in alot of outside money to our state. Non residents should not be able to purchase our doe/fawn deer and antelope for $34 a piece. I'd like to see the total number of all license sales for the last 3 years. Were there more or less licenses being sold? There has been declineing game numbers due to the harsh winters for the last 2 years. Maybe we don't need as many game wardens on the payrole. Are game and fish employees unionized? There are alot of question that should be answered before we have to pay higher fees.
The landowner does not get paid if they don't allow hunting.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Here's what needs to happen.  Fines and penalties from fish and game violations go to the general fund not back in to fish and game management.  Sportsmen are getting fined with higher license fees when all the money from violations goes to the state.  Make the poachers pay for wildlife management and leave the law abiding citizens alone. 
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Here's what needs to happen.  Fines and penalties from fish and game violations go to the general fund not back in to fish and game management.  Sportsmen are getting fined with higher license fees when all the money from violations goes to the state.  Make the poachers pay for wildlife management and leave the law abiding citizens alone.

I totally agree with that!

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Yes thats a novel idea its too bad the people with the power dont think like all of us we all have great ideas!!!
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:52 AM »
The landowner does not get paid if they don't allow hunting.
Makes you feel like taking a shower afterwards, doesn't it? The critters are theirs to manage and they supposedly belong to all of us. If they eat your hay but you don't allow access for whatever reason, they withhold payment for your financial losses. ONLY if you do what the State wants, will they miserly pay you a percentage of what YOU lost, to OUR critters, which THEY manage.

Might as well tell you to hop on one foot and whistle for us, we'll toss you a buck son.  >:(

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I've got mixed feelings about this whole thing. Part of me is all for a small price increase but part of me wants to tell the state (not the G&F) to quit wasting money. When I see the state highway trucks driving along the highway picking up garbage/roadkill with a couple of 2 ton trucks it just makes me sick. Why not use one truck for the garbage and then a small ranger/dakota type truck behind with their lights on? I see waste all over the place that could be used elsewhere...IE G&F funding. I seen somewhere in the news last week that there was a huge "welcoming center" built down somewhere on I80 or I25. Was that a need or just somebody's pet project? Millions get wasted even at the state level that could be put to better use somewhere else. I'll get off my high horse/rant now. Up the price...but not so much please.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Yea, what he said..... ;D

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Hello all. It's been interesting to see the thoughts and comments from all of you.

I would like to remind everyone of the public meeting this Thursday (10/11) from 7:00 to 8:30pm.  Those interested will be able to participate in the meeting at any WGFD Regional Office or through a webcast at http://bit.ly/GameFish  .  WGFD Director Talbott will be available to follow up on your comments and to answer questions.

Again, for more information about the WGFD's funding initiatives is available at wgfd.wyo.gov.  Public comments on WGFD proposals will be accepted through October 24th.  Comments can be submitted at any of the public meetings or on the WGFD website.

Thanks again for the comments on this site. They are all being considered.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2012, 03:23 PM »
WHA?
Ours are much more, (non-res fishing)
Co-$56
Ut.-$70
Sd.-$62
Nb.-60.50
Mt.-$70
And Wyoming non-resident annual fishing- $104.50
I read last year that wyoming makes more money off of non-resident fishing licences than any other state... ???
I think we should get some of the money from the "General fund" also. ;D

I went fishing at Lake Erie this spring. Non-resident annual fish in Ohio is $40.

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:26 AM »
I wonder if the g&f has compared prices of surrounding states for like licenses. Montana resident elk 20$ deer 16$ antelope 16$

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Montana also has a sportsmans tag that combines them all and a fishing license for less than 100$. there hunting and fishing is every bit as good or better than ours down here. I am a life long wyoming resident but these incrases are extreme i could see a small increase 10% or something but 50% almost across the board is kind of outrageous. I will probably keep hunting if i draw a good tag but i wont be buying a general just on the off chance i might see something. and no additionals or extras like now. now i buy 1 or two elk tags 2-4 deer tags and 1-2 antelope tags but that will be over beef is much cheaper.

Offline powder river drifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2012, 04:28 PM »
insted of looking to raise more why dont they look at cuts,the amount of money they wast is rediculious.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2012, 05:41 PM »
insted of looking to raise more why dont they look at cuts,the amount of money they wast is rediculious.
Ahem... We are discussing a govt agency, right? They never cut spending. Once you get a budget you spend it all so you can get more in later years. Any supervisor NOT spending all of his allocated budget money is looked down upon by his peers and higher ups. WGFD is no different whish is why they are testing the waters on large increases. Thankfully I live close enough to SD, MT and have family in NE, I;d rather opt to fish out of State than to pay an increase of the magnitude they are discussing here.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Off topic of sorts, hunting isn't ice fishing but an associate from WI came out to hunt elk in the area between Farson and So. Pass ( area 100) and between this and that and preference points, it cost him a thousand dollars HE SAID, could that be true?
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.