The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New ION auger shaft convertion  (Read 9438 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: New ION auger shaft convertion
« Reply #30 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Sounds like Iowa is the best place for ya! ;D

A little off topic, but Skipper, are the perch very easy to target in Mill Lacs?

Yes and no... The real footballs are getting lower in numbers, but there are still billions of perch in there. The higher the fewer as they say. You can catch smaller eating size perch on the rocks with little effort, but the pigs can be more tricky than the big walleyes. Honestly, it's easier to catch a 28'' walleye right now than a 12'' perch.  :-\

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 27, 2012, 05:57 PM »
After inhaling too many fumes on one trip, and almost passing out....I would admit having an electric auger would be a "smart" purchase when having to redrill holes inside the shack when they freeze up :)
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Sep 27, 2012, 07:29 PM »
I would definitely consider one for the permanent shack, but i want to wait a year or so just in case there are bugs to work out. Do they have reverse?

Offline Fish Hounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 27, 2012, 10:19 PM »
ok guys I can help with questions about the Ion. Feel free to ask any and I will try to get the answers up as soon I can.
This link might help on a few.    http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Sep 29, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I want one... Anyone want to buy my 10" Eskimo?
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #35 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Nice looking machine.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I have a custom 10inch on the way.... :thumbsup:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Nice man! Let us know what u think of it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 13, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Ill stick to my icegator!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 AM »
oooo, it will go nicely with my chevy volt :P

80 holes is not enough for me in 1 day, and i think it would honestly be about 60-65 off the battery.

i'll take my gas auger any day.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:10 AM »
oooo, it will go nicely with my chevy volt :P

80 holes is not enough for me in 1 day, and i think it would honestly be about 60-65 off the battery.

i'll take my gas auger any day.

You seriously drill more than 80 holes in one day?
If that's the case, buy a second battery, its lighter than the can of gas u gotta carry to feed your auger.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:13 AM »
You seriously drill more than 80 holes in one day?
If that's the case, buy a second battery, its lighter than the can of gas u gotta carry to feed your auger.

You carry a can of gas around ??  Wow you might want to get your auger tuned up. I filled my auger up twice last year and didnt amount to 1 gallon of gas and I am a crappie fisherman so I drill a ton of holes

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 AM »
You carry a can of gas around ??  Wow you might want to get your auger tuned up. I filled my auger up twice last year and didnt amount to 1 gallon of gas and I am a crappie fisherman so I drill a ton of holes

Exactly, i'm easily drilling 100 holes a day chasing panfish across the lake.  i fill my auger the night before i go out, and it will last me all day with about 3/4's of a tank left.   i never  bring a gas can with me.   I've taken 3 day trips to Champlain and never used a full tank, and they allow 15 tip-ups per person.   

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Exactly, i'm easily drilling 100 holes a day chasing panfish across the lake.  i fill my auger the night before i go out, and it will last me all day with about 3/4's of a tank left.   i never  bring a gas can with me.   I've taken 3 day trips to Champlain and never used a full tank, and they allow 15 tip-ups per person.

Ok then lol, i guess if your drilling 100+ holes a day an electric auger wouldn't be for you.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Ok then lol, i guess if your drilling 100+ holes a day an electric auger wouldn't be for you.
I drill 6 holes for the day and thats it even if i don't get a flag all day. This auger is perfect for me.STEALTH

Offline short circuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 14, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Hey pikekiller, did you call the manufacturer to order the 10"? How much weight did it add to the 8"? And the big question, how much did it cost?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #46 on: Oct 14, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I like the fact that it doesn't Stink ! I know on long trips with very cold temps having the gas auger outside in the bed of the truck can make it start really hard  ! I've tried putting it inside but the smell is to much ! The lithium one can be tossed anywhere without gas & oil leaking or stinking ! To cut 100 holes in a day seems excessive to me . I know plenty of jiggers that don't need that many holes . The other alternative to the stinky gas auger is the jiffy propane auger . A friend bought one last year and loves it . Same price as the battery one . I wonder if the lithium one has a car charger adapter ? Or you can buy a converter for the cigarette lighter ?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Depends on how many amps their charger draws... You can get a Inverter that you can hook up to your 12v battery, that out puts 120v, then plug their charger into the Inverter. You can only use the cigarette lighter plug if it draws less than 3 amps or you may toast the plug...

Offline Fish Hounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:59 AM »
I know a few of you guys have asked me if you could down size from the 8" that comes on the new ION to a smaller size for panfishing. watch how easy it is.... and even better at no extra cost.
GO GREEN!!!!
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #49 on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Saw the ion yesterday at Scheels.  Looks like a nice unit.  My questions are how many holes can you drill on a charge,, and how much does a spare battery cost?

Offline Fish Hounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 AM »
out of the box with the 8" bit:  40 holes / 2' of ice
less ice = more holes
smaller bit such as 4,5,6" = more holes
extra batteries cost $150ish
Hope this helps!!!
More info at www.ioniceauger.com

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 19, 2012, 09:11 AM »
I personally will stick with the old reliable 2 stroke gas augers. I like the smell and they are very simple, if you want more holes add more gas. I saw a 'gator in action last year, and although it was pretty slick, it is  not for me. I am sure this ion is a nice machine, but  I will stick with gas. Mixing gas is just as simple as remembering to plug in a battery in my opinion, and one of my favorite sounds in the pre-dawn silence is my old reliable jiffy punching holes to the "promised land".

Agreed.

Over the summer I bought two of the old Model 30 Jiffys, converted them from the one armed bandit style to the newer double handles, got them both for 125 bucks combined and they both ran like new.

My cousin (who bought that POS Strikemaster 2 winters ago) is begging me to sell him one of the old, heavy, (but highly reliable) Jiffys.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 19, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I know a few of you guys have asked me if you could down size from the 8" that comes on the new ION to a smaller size for panfishing. watch how easy it is.... and even better at no extra cost.
GO GREEN!!!!
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

You gotta love fishing fanatics, brand new piece of equipment and modifying them within a couple weeks of their debut.  :thumbsup:

I might have to put the Jiffy propane up for sale

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Fish Hounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Oct 19, 2012, 10:53 AM »
You gotta love fishing fanatics, brand new piece of equipment and modifying them within a couple weeks of their debut.  :thumbsup:

I might have to put the Jiffy propane up for sale
Really you have to give it up to Ardisam for making the shaft size standard to fit hand auger's instead of coming up with a special size that only fits their products  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #54 on: Oct 19, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Neat idea, hopefully they hold up better than the icegators did.

I'd be curious to know at what temperature they rated the 40 holes at because I'd imagine there would be a big difference in battery life at -5 vs -30.

Thoses that are complaining about filling up augers and carrying gas on the ice.. fill your unit up the night before. I can go all weekend on a tank of gas in my husky and I typically drill alot more than 40 holes in a day.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Neat idea, hopefully they hold up better than the icegators did.

I'd be curious to know at what temperature they rated the 40 holes at because I'd imagine there would be a big difference in battery life at -5 vs -30.

Thoses that are complaining about filling up augers and carrying gas on the ice.. fill your unit up the night before. I can go all weekend on a tank of gas in my husky and I typically drill alot more than 40 holes in a day.
My gator still going strong after what 4-5 yrs...
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Jiffy! BTW if anyone is starting to get ready for the season and needs any pointers on two-stroke maintenance or tuning, or has an out-of-service auger,  feel free to let me know.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:59 PM »
My gator still going strong after what 4-5 yrs...

My Gator works great Too.  Never had a problem.
Gunnerdog

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Hey pikekiller, did you call the manufacturer to order the 10"? How much weight did it add to the 8"? And the big question, how much did it cost?

$$$? ???

Been working on a 10” ION but this is what I was told in my last email. :tipup:

Dan,
Thanks for taking the time to learn about Ion. We are looking at the possibility of a 10” auger in the future and will likely be doing additional testing this winter.
Best,
Tony Aloia

National Sales Manager-ION

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 30, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Just used my Auger today for the first time, Awesome Auger!!! Drilled over 20 holes in 20 inches if ice, -16 celcius up here in Alberta this am, its was like cutting thru butter, I had half the lake iver trying it it out, Im sure I cinverted all if them, long time Jiffy user I was fir the past 20 years, but no more!!!! I even posted a video on you tube, cant tell you hiw excuted and happy I am with the auger ,even after the 20 or so holes there were still 2 bars left on the battery meter, could of went another 30 for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.