Author Topic: 12v lighting. Batteries.  (Read 7297 times)

Offline sholbroo76

• IceShanty Rookie
12v lighting. Batteries.
« on: Aug 26, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would have good advise on Deep Cell batteries.  I was looking at prices and 100 bucks a battery seems steep.  My Question is..... with just a few interior 12V lights inside the shack could I get away with an ATV size battery.  I know my wallet would feel much better about that but I also don't want to be left in the dark. 

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: 12v lighting. Batteries.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would have good advise on Deep Cell batteries.  I was looking at prices and 100 bucks a battery seems steep.  My Question is..... with just a few interior 12V lights inside the shack could I get away with an ATV size battery.  I know my wallet would feel much better about that but I also don't want to be left in the dark.
The new LED lights draw very little power from my understanding. I believe you could get away with that, but be aware that a motorcycle battery is a cranking battery, and not deep cycle! You could also use a sealed battery like those used for flashers, inflators, home alarm systems, etc!! They run from about 7-9 amps. The more amps the better!! I'm sure we have members with pleanty of experience with this, and will bow out so that they can help with more info!! Don't be afraid to search the internet for what you need!! ;D Check out electric scooter batteries! They run 12-14 amps!!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2012, 12:06 PM »
I have 2 12v 30Ah sealed lead acid batteries in my wheelhouse. I use them to operate 2 12v computer fans  and two single bulb RV interior lights. I also have a 12v accessory socket for charging cell phones. My light fixtures use 1141 bulbs and I'm going to replace the bulbs with LED bulbs which should use about 10% of the power the incandescent bulbs use. I have a 6 Amp dual output on board charger hooked to the batteries so I can charge the batteries while using 110v power in the shack. This works well for me since I don't have a forced air RV furnace in the wheelhouse.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I have 2 12v 30Ah sealed lead acid batteries in my wheelhouse. I use them to operate 2 12v computer fans  and two single bulb RV interior lights. I also have a 12v accessory socket for charging cell phones. My light fixtures use 1141 bulbs and I'm going to replace the bulbs with LED bulbs which should use about 10% of the power the incandescent bulbs use. I have a 6 Amp dual output on board charger hooked to the batteries so I can charge the batteries while using 110v power in the shack. This works well for me since I don't have a forced air RV furnace in the wheelhouse.
Tell him where to get them!! ;D I was hoping you would help bail me out!! ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2012, 12:37 PM »
I replaced the battery in my ATV a while back and for a sealed lead acid battery with probably about 8 ah it ran almost $100. The batteries I use are used to power remote telephone systems and wiegh around 30 lbs. A person should be able to find something on this site. They aren't cheap, but last a long time and hold a charge well when not being used. http://www.batterymart.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Offset=36&SortBy=&Category_Code=04-12-volt-sealed-lead-acid-batteries&show=&pl=&ph=&char=
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I replaced the battery in my ATV a while back and for a sealed lead acid battery with probably about 8 ah it ran almost $100. The batteries I use are used to power remote telephone systems and wiegh around 30 lbs. A person should be able to find something on this site. They aren't cheap, but last a long time and hold a charge well when not being used. http://www.batterymart.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Offset=36&SortBy=&Category_Code=04-12-volt-sealed-lead-acid-batteries&show=&pl=&ph=&char=
Thanks Dawg!!! Come a long way from Coleman lanterns and candles from my younger days!!! ::)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:19 AM »
The deep cell batteries will last the longest. I used lawn tractor batteries and take as many as I need for the time out there. Lightens my sleds if only going for a short time.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2012, 04:20 AM »
I have been using all Summer my bird 45 battery in my kayak. I run my depth finder 4-5 hours and it never gos down in power much. I get home and put the charger on it and it seems to read 100 percent every time.  I think 2 of them should power a hut all day with no problem so that's what I'm going to use this year. I was using the lawn mower battery the last 2 years. I take it out every year and this way it gets used. 20 percent power loss  is the most I have ever drawn it down. 

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:07 AM »
I us deep cell bateries and I acidently left my lights on for over a weekand came back and they were still on and never charged the battery the rest of the season and they always worked.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:41 AM »
If its money,find away if you can on the deep cell.We use one in our primitive camping,runs our lights,small tv.We usually use it for a week and still have plenty of charge left.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2012, 09:08 AM »
I don't know if they will help you out or not but I just saw Tractor Supply has 12 volt batteries like the ones used on flashers on sale for $24.00.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2012, 06:05 AM »
Deep cycle with a solar charger has never let me down ! I take one of my batteries off the boat and move it to the shack . I run a fan , radio , TV ,DVD player ,7 strings of LEDs  and I also ( sometimes just because I can ) run my auger off the setup .
    From ease of use and reliability this has worked out perfect we fish often most days we are there 8-12 hours and more and more someone has been staying 24-7 . Have been out there for almost a week straight with no issues .
 Last year I carried an extra battery with me in the sled just in case . I think that might stay at home this year !
  ( OK maybe in the truck lol )
---- Joe ----

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2012, 10:11 PM »
I just do Deep cycle, run some LED lights, two 12V computer fans, and then have an inverter to run a few other things that I need to plug in, I just haul my battery home with me and put it on a trickle charger then out it goes with me when I go back out, I'm always in my truck anyway so easy to haul in and out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.