Author Topic: How do you like your Thorne rod!  (Read 7857 times)

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you like your Thorne rod!
« on: Aug 25, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I've had my Quiverstick for a season now and have loved it. I just want to know what every one else thinks about their Thorne Bros. rod.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do you like your Thorne rod!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I won't use anything else.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I have a panfish sweet heart that I have enjoyed and 2 noodle rods that are just OK, there is no question that they make good rods. I was looking at them again the other day and for me they have out priced me, the rod to cost ratio for me is too far apart.  :o

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Love my Quiverstick! Don't care for the tripwire much though.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2012, 06:02 AM »
 Great rods, I've been using the Quiverstick since they first introduced a few years ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. The Powernoodle is another exceptional rod. I actually have a long Quiverstick on order right now. The down side for some is cost, they are pricey.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2012, 07:38 AM »
I have several different ones and have to agree with Gillfisher. They are a bit salty. With the electronics I have it's just as easy to catch fish with the cheap rods.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2012, 02:23 PM »
not backordered.........ha hahaha

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Love them!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Not really anything special IMO. I have had my 28" Panfish Sweetheart for like 4 or 5 years now. Shortly after I got the rod the end cap fell off the handle and I had to glue it back on. They did not prep the cap properly so the tiny bit of glue they used did not stick. Other than that is a good rod. I prefer a shorter rod so I will most likely order a 23" or 24" with the Panfish Sweetheart or Quiverstick blank this year to give them another shot. I have a lot of rods and do not really "need" any more so it is more of a want. Since you can build your own on their site now I am considering the quickerstick blank. I'm not spending $80-$100 on an ice rod and then $15 shipping on top of it.

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:09 PM »
No other rods come close to their quality.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2012, 11:46 PM »
not backordered.........ha hahaha

What kind of childish comment is that?????

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2012, 07:19 AM »
I've got a powernoodle and quiver stick.I used noodle as my crappie dead stick. Worked great.  Never tried jigging with it.  The quiver stick was used with 3 and 4mm fiskas baited with Ice mite plastics. I had a great time playing cat and mouse with crappies, man you can feel everything even 30 ft down. I got both 24" with outside guides. Love them

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2012, 11:56 AM »

What kind of childish comment is that?????

Was refering to the fact that all winter last winter the Powernoodles were backordered.....Sarcas m sir!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Well it does suck more than a little to order a rod in Oct or Nov so you have it for ice season but have to wait until march to get it. Kind of a waste.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2012, 07:01 AM »
I love my TB rods.  Slowly replacing all my other rods with them for panny fishing.  My collection includes: sweet pea, 24" power noodle, 24" quiver stick, 27" quiver stick, 24" Tripwire (ML wire on finesse)...all but sweet pea have recoils.  I just ordered 2 more tripwires, one 24" on quiver stick with ML wire and the other 36" on panfish....both with recoils.  Its a good thing I don't live close to their store.  The quality of their rods are very good and I feel are worth every penny. 
]

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2012, 08:52 PM »
I have about a dozen and typically treat myself to another each year!  ;D

I have used or handled about every rod outh there for the last 25 years, I also build my own... but I stopped building ice rods a few years ago and let TB build them...
I just dont enjoy building small rods and they do a superb job.
They have also done an amazing job over the years designing blanks and keeping them built in the US!
The quiverstick is my favorit blank/rod of thiers. I use to hand sand solid carbon blanks to get that action, it is a pain in the dupa.
I fish alot of 1/16th to 1/64th jigs and that rod is just perfect. I rarely have to go small but when I do the Powernoodle is a sweet and fun rod and now the tripwire gets some play. Bigger jigs - I go to a panfish sweetheart and perch sweetheart. The Perch handles most of my walleye fishing also...  ;D

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 31, 2012, 08:46 PM »
Those Thorne Bros rods are a disease!  I just added a third to their to-build list.  I convinced myself that I needed a perch sweetheart...went with 27", black recoils, 6" handle and black w/ blue wraps.  Can't wait for them to show up so can do some practicing in the living room until mother nature decides to let us out if the inferno we been enduring.
]

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:10 PM »
I shelled out some good money to have a Laker rod built ... when it arrived, I thought it got damaged in shipping. It didn't have a regular top eyelet, looked like the rod snapped right at the next eyelet down. I called them right away and they said, that was the way it was built. Looks like junk !!! I'm sticking with Austin's custom rods !

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I shelled out some good money to have a Laker rod built ... when it arrived, I thought it got damaged in shipping. It didn't have a regular top eyelet, looked like the rod snapped right at the next eyelet down. I called them right away and they said, that was the way it was built. Looks like junk !!! I'm sticking with Austin's custom rods !
I'm curious what it looks like...can ya post a pic?  I have several TB rods that don't have a tip top and I think they look fine.  I know they wrap a regular guide on the tip to achieve a large diameter guide to help lessen ice build up...which can't be done with a tip top that fits the blank diameter.
]

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2012, 09:07 PM »
i think i know what hes referring to. they dont use a regular eye.
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Thorne-Bros-Custom-Ice-Rod-Guide-Options-d35.htm?adminPreview=1
look at the bottom. outside fuji hardloy. stronger guides

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2012, 09:22 PM »
just checked out the prices and holy cow.... i could never justify spendin that much on a rod when i can catch the crap out of em with my 12 dollar rod and fishfinder.
USE A BOBBER!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2012, 01:01 AM »
i think i know what hes referring to. they dont use a regular eye.
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Thorne-Bros-Custom-Ice-Rod-Guide-Options-d35.htm?adminPreview=1
look at the bottom. outside fuji hardloy. stronger guides
Yeah that looks kinda funny...the recoils look way better.  Guess if ordering a rod with outside non recoil guides ya need to look at those pics and make sure your OK with that look...or specify to them to not to do that and find an oversized tiptop.  The only rod I have w/o recoils is a sweet pea with alconite inside guides so it has a normal tiptop glued on.
]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with tying and epoxying a single foot guide on the tip. I have done that before and they work well.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with tying and epoxying a single foot guide on the tip. I have done that before and they work well.

Every rod I build/sell is done this way. when it comes to the tiny diameter of the tip on most ice rods its hard to find a variety of tips for them,  tying a tip adds way more options for the customer.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Mr Brown nailed it ! 

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Mr Brown nailed it ! 

My panfish sweetheart looks like that at the end.............now, but not when I first bought it.  :'(

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Have you contacted them about returning it and getting that guide removed and an oversized tip top put on.  I would think since its a laker rod the diameter of the blank at the tip would b large enough for something to fit the bill.
]

Offline Fishnfun1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I currently do not own one, but plan on buying the panfish sweetheart at the Sept. 22nd get together at thorne bros.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Have you contacted them about returning it and getting that guide removed and an oversized tip top put on.  I would think since its a laker rod the diameter of the blank at the tip would b large enough for something to fit the bill.

Return shipping, pay for the new tip + labor.  :-\ Just not worth it - too me !!!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:32 PM »
try it out! id love to have one of those and you know its gunna work well. i mean how pretty does it need to be when a slob laker slams your jig at 20mph.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.