Author Topic: Fall Soups  (Read 16627 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Fall Soups
« Reply #90 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Cold and rainy for the next couple of days....gonna make a huge pot of that ham 'n bean soup I got from Old Sailor...and a batch of cornbread.  ;D

Here's OS's recipe, I jazzed it up a tad, and add cut up smoked pork steaks to it, but this is still the best recipe I've had for it...here's his recipe: (my additions are in red)

« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:32 AM »

Alright, here is a "stick to your ribs" type of soup! Great served with cornbread and freezes well also!!

OldSailor's Ham and 15 Bean Soup

20 oz. bag 15 bean mix  ( I use great northern beans)
1 lb. ham cubes or hocks ( I use 2 smoked hocks and 2 smoked pork steaks)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp rosemary
6 peppercorns or ground pepper
2 qts. (8 cups) water
1 large onion chopped coarse
2-3 celery stalks sliced
1-2 carrots (or baby carrots) chopped

I also add a few drops of liquid smoke to taste...

Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. of water, then drain. Combine first 6 items and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 2 hrs. stirring occasionanally. Stir in onion, celery, carrots , cubed pork, and remove any meat from hocks, and continue simmering covered for 1/2 hr. or until beans and veggies are tender. Remove cover and let soup thicken as desired. I don't like this too watery!! Remove any bones and/or peppercorns and enjoy!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
Booyah
« Reply #91 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:17 PM »
My buddy gave me his Dad's Booyah recipe. His Dad was the equipment manager for the Packers for 30+ years! No joke! I asked his permission to pass this recipe along....

Makes 15 gal.

10 gallons water
5 lbs. Oxtail
6# onions, diced
3# cabbage, shredded (1 head)
3 cans whole tomatoes
20# chicken pieces
2 bunches celery, chopped
5# carrots, chopped
8# potatoes, diced
2 cans peas.

Boil water, add oxtail.
Every 15 minutes, add onions, cabbage, and tomatoes
When chicken is half done, add celery and carrots.
When chicken falls off bones, add potatoes.
Add peas at the very end.
Salt & pepper to taste.
For extra flavor with a hint of smokiness, use fire roasted tomatoes. It really adds some zing to it.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #92 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Hey Harry, I'm missing something here with The Booyah.

Could you please explain how that twenty pounds of chicken pieces is ever gonna get half done if you never put it in.
Maybe yer buddy is,....well, do you really believe him?   Maybe you could check him out and give us the rest of the story.

Don't mean to rush you, but some rowdy friends are comin' over to watch football and I'll need to have a little snack cooked up and this looks to be enough if I double the recipe.     :o

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #93 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Hey Harry, I'm missing something here with The Booyah.

Could you please explain how that twenty pounds of chicken pieces is ever gonna get half done if you never put it in.
Maybe yer buddy is,....well, do you really believe him?   Maybe you could check him out and give us the rest of the story.

Don't mean to rush you, but some rowdy friends are comin' over to watch football and I'll need to have a little snack cooked up and this looks to be enough if I double the recipe.     :o

Good point! I use this as a guidline! I boil the chicken in a deep fry basket in the kettle first. Remove the bones (the basket makes this easy!) I add the chicken at the beginning. Booyah takes all day to make!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #94 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:00 AM »
i made 16 bean soup the other day. awesome! thanks for the recipe! now, why is nobody coming near me?? ::) :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 AM »
i made 16 bean soup the other day. awesome! thanks for the recipe! now, why is nobody coming near me?? ::) :P

Probably 'cause ya went with 16 bean soup instead of the 15.     :sick: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Is it another weird WI thing like boiling your brats in beer?  ;D

I know its late but...I boil My Brats in beer....Hot Dogs, Keilbasa and Pastrami too.....Only way to have them
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 AM »
Rebs Beef Barley is close to mine...only difference is I don't use the Rosemary/Basil....and I throw in a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #98 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Rebs Beef Barley is close to mine...only difference is I don't use the Rosemary/Basil....and I throw in a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce

HA! Interesting!!! Didn't metion I usually pre-cook the beef in pan with a good amount of Worcestershire sauce first...!!  It adds a lot to the flavor.  ;D

WHOOPS!!! Looking back at it, I did mention it... :wacko: If anyone sees my mind run by, tell it I'm lost!!!  ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:24 AM »
I could go for a pot of Chicken or Tomatoe soup right now.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:28 PM »
HA! Interesting!!! Didn't metion I usually pre-cook the beef in pan with a good amount of Worcestershire sauce first...!!  It adds a lot to the flavor.  ;D

WHOOPS!!! Looking back at it, I did mention it... :wacko: If anyone sees my mind run by, tell it I'm lost!!!  ;D

It helps if I read the whole thing too..... ;D

Trooper Bri

« Reply #101 on: Dec 02, 2012, 03:08 PM »
The bags of beans in my cupboard called to me, so I did a simple 15 bean, ham, and bacon soup while watching the Pats/Dolphins. It's going to be lunch for the week. I usually improvise with recipes and move on, but this one came out tasty enough that I wrote it down.

20oz bag o' dried 15-bean mix (already soaked for at least 8 hours)
2 quarts water
1lb of ham diced into 1/4" cubes (cheated and used ham steaks on sale)
15oz can of fine diced tomatoes
7 to 10 strips of smoked bacon, depending on thickness
1 small onion chopped fine (or 1 cup chopped)
1tbsp minced garlic (or more)
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste while cooking (after adding bacon)

Get the beans boiling while you dice your ham. When the beans have boiled, reduce to a simmer uncovered and add everything except the bacon.
While the soup is simmering (stir often), cook the bacon so that it is still flexible (not crisp) and has some fat, then press flat. Once cool and flat, stack and julienne the bacon into thin strips. Return the bacon to the pan and fry again, stirring often until the bacon is real crispy. Then dump the bacon and the fat (pork fat rules!) into the soup.
Simmer for a total of 3 hours. Keep the lid for the pot handy and use it to get the soup as thin or thick as you like. If you like thinner soup, figure 1 hour covered.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 02, 2012, 03:30 PM »
That sound good. Do you ever fish Hamilton Res. or Congamond? If so I'll bring my bowl. :icefish:
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline cantwait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I madeRebelss crock pot pea soup and it IS great! I believe someone tossed out a pulled pork chili recipe...was that ever posted?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #104 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Thanks, cantwait!!!! Glad ya liked it....I'm having Old Sailor's delicious Bean Soup tomorrow, since we're supposed to get this big snowstorm overnight, should fit the bill!!!! Gotta pass it forward!!!  ;D

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:19 PM »
here is my favorite
3 lb roast cubed
2 cans consomme
bulia base
water
1 bag baby carrots
6 to 10 red potatoes quartered or so   
1 white onion cubed
3 tsp crushed garlic in olive oil
salt and pepper
creole seasoning to taste

cube the roast the night before and dust with any mix of spices you like i use creole salt pepper garlic onion powder and mrs dash
in the morning take meet and toss in flour till well coated and brown in a skillet or preferably crock pot
once browned well add all dry ingrediants water consume and buila base and bring to a simmer in a crock pot simmer for about an hour then add all the veggies add water to cover everything and cover and forget for 6 to 8 hours stirring as you can it is done when the taters are nice and soft but not mushie and serve with a good sourdough and enjoy

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #106 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:18 AM »
Thanks, cantwait!!!! Glad ya liked it....I'm having Old Sailor's delicious Bean Soup tomorrow, since we're supposed to get this big snowstorm overnight, should fit the bill!!!! Gotta pass it forward!!!  ;D
To bad you burned the cawnbread!!! And you went to cookin' school!!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #107 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I DID NOT BURN THE CORNBREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It stuck in the stupid "No-stick" pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  :whistle:

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #108 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I DID NOT BURN THE CORNBREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It stuck in the stupid "No-stick" pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(
Sorry, I stand corrected!! :whistle: Even with non-stick spray in the non-stick pan!!! :woot: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #109 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Sorry, I stand corrected!! :whistle: Even with non-stick spray in the non-stick pan!!! :woot: ;)2

;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.