Author Topic: homemade wire tip downs  (Read 2101 times)

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
homemade wire tip downs
« on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:46 PM »
here is a pic of my homemade wire tip downs.  the nice thing is that they have high sensitivity with very little resistance.  you can watch a fish just barely take the minnow.  the constuction is very easy.  the most expensive thing is the spools on the side.  my father put legs on his using a coat hanger.  this way he doesn't need to make a pile of snow to stick them in.  set them up with heavy or light wire.  i have them set up with some lighter stuff for perch and walleyes, but you can put some heavier stuff for larger species.  i have used this rig for about 4 years and i don't think i will ever change, just modify.  any questions, just let me know.

We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: homemade wire tip downs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2005, 09:50 PM »
 I saw your wire tipdowns and would like to make a couple and would like to know if there is something that secures the wire in a down position until the fish takes the bait, or is the line just set over the end of the wire and it bobs the flag up and down when the fish hits?
 Thanks for your help.
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: homemade wire tip downs
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:51 PM »
yea if you see on the end of the wire, it is bent a little.  the line just goes up and over that spot.  when the fish pulls the wire all the way down the line will drop off the wire and start to take drag off the spool.  if you have anymore questions just let me know.
We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.